1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

custom chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM
AR1996PSD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile custom chip

HI i have a 1996 psd with a Superchips max microtuner .
I have been told the best way is to get more black smoke is to get a custom ''hot burn chip''

I was wanting to know is there any place that will reprogram my superchips for a hot burn siting or should i get rid of it and get a different chip.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Best bet would be Tony wildman or DP tuner. how to contact them i dont know though... good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my TW. It was well worth the money and he is very informational to talk to.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Here is Jody and Diane's DP-TUNER site. Dp Tuner. Have heard good things about TW also.

Best to call them and talk to Jody, he will set you up.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
ditto on what they said. Seems like once people go with the DP or TW they never go back to those other chips.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
I'd talk to them and ask if they'd do a custom tune on your superchips tuner. worth a try, and probably wouldnt cost near as much.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
You can't reburn any superchips programer. First you'll never find someone to try it, and next if you do, it will ruin it.

Superchips are a great starter tuner. It let's you know that there is alot of potential in your motor. But as far as adjustability and taylored to you truck, they are no good.

You said you want black smoke. Well, yes a custom chip like DP-Tuner or Tony Wildman will get you a little more than a superchip. But not alot. You are limited by what you fuel injectors can flow which is about 90cc's. Most programers will max that out no problem, even a superchip. The most horsepower you'll get out of any programer is about 80hp. Which is good, but it won't hold you for long.

And there are several variables, which will make some more power which envolve timing etc. But all will net about the same.

Black Smoke only comes from over fueling. Which means injectors. Bigger injectors, bigger smoke.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but those are the facts. But I bet you will love a DP or TW chip. They are custom to your truck and will get the most for you. And you can tell either that you just want smoke and they will get the most for you as they can. Good luck man and let us know what you decide.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
AR1996PSD
New User
thanks guys i probably stay with the superchips for a little bet longer
until i get bigger injectors

Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
bigger injectors-concider fuel costs. thats whats keepin me from it

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Just as an FYI and I'm sure you know this already but...
Black Smoke = Wasted Fuel
Wasted Fuel = less fuel turned into mechanical energy
So if your thinking black smoke = power, it's more like wasted power.
You need more air to burn more fuel = A Turbo that can flow more CFM's and PSI
Turbo + Injectors = and still a substantial amount of black smoke, but at least more will be converted into POWER!!!

-Robb

Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Well put Robb. If your blowing smoke you are creating an inefficient burn and wasting the fuel.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Screw it!!!! ROLL THE COAL!!!!!! My name ain't Gale Banks. And until it is, I'll be blown rediculous amouts of smoke, paying way too much for fuel, living pay check to pay check and grinning from ear to ear cuz I just smoked out the latest sucker!!!!

I work way too damn hard at both my jobs to not enjoy life some. The way I look at it...

It's all gonna kill you,
It always costs too much,
Nobody is ever gonna agree,
And you can't make everyone happy.

Men are laying their lives on the line RIGHT NOW so that I have the right to blow smoke, and chase the dream of hitting it big some day. If I clam up and stop enjoying life because some jackass said it was wrong, I'm letting those men down. And that my friends is something that I'm NOT willing to do.

To the original poster, do what you want to make you happy. We'll be here to tell you the cause and effects of it.

To my other guys, you are correct as always. And I'm not getting down on you. It's just been one of those days, forgive me.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Screw it!!!! ROLL THE COAL!!!!!! My name ain't Gale Banks. And until it is, I'll be blown rediculous amouts of smoke, paying way too much for fuel, living pay check to pay check and grinning from ear to ear cuz I just smoked out the latest sucker!!!!

I work way too damn hard at both my jobs to not enjoy life some. The way I look at it...

It's all gonna kill you,

Men are laying their lives on the line RIGHT NOW so that I have the right to blow smoke, and chase the dream of hitting it big some day. If I clam up and stop enjoying life because some jackass said it was wrong, I'm letting those men down. And that my friends is something that I'm NOT willing to do.

To the original poster, do what you want to make you happy. We'll be here to tell you the cause and effects of it.

To my other guys, you are correct as always. And I'm not getting down on you. It's just been one of those days, forgive me.
CAN I GET AN AMEN IN HOUSE????

AMEN!!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberDuck

It's all gonna kill you,

Cody... Was this post directed towards what i said???? Sorry, engineer here just telling it like it is. I think rolling coal is awesome!!! HOWEVER, until someone proves otherwise, technically it is WASTED POWER. I'm not saying that there's a way to make the engine 100% efficiently (which is impossible anyways, converted to heat, friction etc..) Heck I don't even think we can get 50% thermal efficiency out of one with current technology. Still that black smoke you see is just $$$ going up in smoke. If you can afford it, ROLL IT!!!! It wasn't my intention to **** off the Duck!!!!...... Buy you a beer???

-Robb

Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Aaaaaaamen !!!