2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in the drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise in the drivetrain

I searched a little for this but I found nothing helpful so here goes...

O4 SCREW 4x4 37K miles. Yesterday while driving 55-60 suddenly there was a noise from underneath my truck. It was not a "gear grinding" noise more like something dragging or scraping the road kinda sound. I slowed down and it stopped just about the time the truck stopped. When the noise stopped the truck made a slight thump or jerk. I had a problem with a hub engaging earlier but this is not the same noise. I checked 4x4 operation and all seemed fine. With in 10 miles it does it again. This time I switch to 4hi and the noise stopped. Drove another 75 miles and it only did it once more on me. The final time I was in a parking lot so I don't see it being speed related.

Any clues as to my problem. I am assuming it is somewhere in the 4wd system. I have read lots here about problems with the IWE and the vacuum silenoids but I am not sure where to start.

Any suggestions please.
Thanks,
Summer

Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start by checking the rubber vacuum lines that go to the IWE's, and make sure they are connected well and don't have any holes rubbed/ripped in them. If all the lines are good, and the solenoid is good, it may be the seals in the IWE's themselves that need to be replaced.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you check the solenoid for proper operation?
I found a thread on what seemed to be the same problem and they talk about a newer solenoid design with a water deflector. I purchased a new solenoid yesterday that was supposed to be the newest design. It looks exactly like the on on the truck. Is this water deflector made on the solenoid or is that a seperate part to purchase?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About all you can do to test it is actuate it and see whether the vacuum is being applied to the IWEs or not.

I have never taken the solenoid on mine off of the fire wall, but what I have seen other people say is that the shield is molded right into the solenoid housing. It's just a flap of plastic around the body of the solenoid, an awning if you will.