1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make your 08 mirrors move correctly

Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
fivonut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make your 08 mirrors move correctly

It bothered me to no end that when I pushed right they went left and vise versa. So I tore em down so see what was up and found that a simple wire reversal solved all my issues. Here ya go.

This is what I started with. My 08 mirrrors purchased from Ed (FTEpartsguy) and installed on my 01 F350.

Start by removing the glass. This can be a little nerve racking specially on brand new mirrors. I pried at the side of the larger mirror and at the top and bottom of the smaller mirror. I found on the smaller mirror that prying on the sides caused a lot of flex and unnecessary anxiety. If you have the heated mirrors you'll have to remove this plug.

Here's what you should have now...

Between the mirror mount and the outside edge you can see a 7mm hex head screw. There's 5 total, two on each side of the larger mirror and three around the lower/smaller mirrors.

At the top edge there are two clips that have to be pried down in order to get the two halves of the mirror loose. Pull out as you pry down and it should come loose.

After a lot of nerve racking cracking and popping noises the two halve should separate and can be taken off. I removed them completely for picture purposes but you could let them hang by the wires for the heater and turns signals. If you want to remove the you'll have to remvoe the turn signal lens by pushing on the silver tab visible from the front and it will slide straight out the back. Then you can remove the signal bulbs and set both halve aside. Sorry I didn't think to get a pic of the silver tab, but it's pretty self explanatory. At this point you should have something looking like this.

On the back side you can see the connectors that go to the two motors that control side to side and up and down movement. It's now aparent why you can't just rewire these at the connector. The motors share the yellow wire. At some point in the harnes these two yellow wires become a single wire that continues to the connectors in the door. So changing anything at the door connector will cause both motors to move when trying to adjust left or right. Here's the connectors.

The one on the left is the one we need to reverse. There should be one yellow and one green wire. I just cut the wires and connected yellow to green and green to yellow. There's not a lot of slack in these so I'd recommend soldering and heat shrinking the wires. I am impatient and wanted to get it done so I used a crimp connector and had to try and get some extra slack out of the harness. I thought I could reruote the wiring harness to go aroudnthe back side but it comes very close to the slider arms and over time would probably get pinched and/or cut so keep them routed the factory way......

BTW, the plastic is very brittle so don't try to muscle it to much. I ended up with a couple broken pieces that aren't visible and don't affect mounting at all, but I'm a little disappointed just knowing it's there.

Once the wires are reconnected it should look something like this. Sorry for the poor quality, but you should be able to make out the green to yellow and yellow to green connections. You can also see the cheap connectors I used. I will be redoing these by soldering and heat shrinking them. I didn't try it but sitting here now I'm wondering if it would be possible to get enough slack to simple turn the connector 180^ and reconnect it. Then there would be no reason to cut and solder wires. If some one wants to try it let us know.

Now reverse the disassemly process and you should be back to this...

only when you push the button to the right they go right and when you push it left they go left. Enjoy!!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Good job on this one fivonut. I had to give you some rep points for risking your mirrors and figuring it out. I had previously put 08 mirrors lower on my mod priority list partly because of this issue. Looks like I can bump them up now.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 PM
fivonut
Senior User
Thanks!! I know this has been an issue for a lot of people. I figured it should be relatively easy fix and sure enough.....

On a side note, I cracked my amber turn lens trying to figure out how to get it off. If anyone has swapped to the recon smoked lenses and wants to get rid of their ambers, I'd be happy to give it a good home.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
bigjake0524
Senior User
Nice Job, Now I can tear mine apart and fix em. You dont happen to know what wires to hook up on the passenger side for the power mirror feature do you. Thank you..

Old 04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
fivonut
Senior User
If you mean at the door connector I followed the instructions in this link

http://members.***.net/brian.osborn/...or%20wires.pdf

I cut the connector off my old aero mirrors so instead of green/yellow/red and green/yellow/purple I had green/black/red and green/black/purple. But it was a very simple process.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM
bigjake0524
Senior User
Thank you, that will help out..

Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Great!

GREAT job fivonut! It is amazing that the mirrors just pop right off...with pressure. Which is always a good thing...if ever one breaks.

Anyway...adding REP points for this...and IMO...should be a FTE Technical Sticky!

biz

Old 04-20-2008, 10:56 PM
fivonut
Senior User
Thanks again!! If it's made a sticky where should the pics be moved to. I recently canceled my Charter service and I don't know how long they let me keep using the webspace. Oh and fix my spelling errors, I waited to long and can't edit now.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great job on this one. I've also been thinking about upgrading to '08 mirrors and this fix makes it more appealing. Nice job doccumenting everything, you have provided a great resource for us all. Rep points given, thanks again!!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM
NorCalBusa
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work. And where exactly did the floor jack come into play? LOL!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
It's about time someone figured this out. Thanks and reps are on their way.

Bill

Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
fivonut
Senior User
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa
Nice work. And where exactly did the floor jack come into play? LOL!

I'm trying to come up with a real smart-assed answer but I got nothin. It was left over from the caliper job earlier.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:16 PM
bigjake0524
Senior User
Just did this and worked out good, however if I would have paid attention I would have been able to do it right in the door as my wires had two grounds and I could have just switched them there. But the passenger side used the pink wires and I didn't know that till I pulled it apart and not the purple as all of the directions have said. Wasn't hard at all actually put a towes around a big standard screwdriver and popped them out with that.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM
jxdrl
Senior User
fivonut - sent you a pm about the lenses

Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 AM
fivonut
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigjake0524
Just did this and worked out good, however if I would have paid attention I would have been able to do it right in the door as my wires had two grounds and I could have just switched them there. But the passenger side used the pink wires and I didn't know that till I pulled it apart and not the purple as all of the directions have said. Wasn't hard at all actually put a towes around a big standard screwdriver and popped them out with that.
Glad to see someone getting some use from this already.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to make your 08 mirrors move correctly