Oil & Lubrication  

dealer oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 PM
lablue96
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer oil

i was at my frienly local ford dealer (o'meara in denver) which i like to hang out at, and since i was there and my oil change was coming pretty soon i decided to go to the part dep. and get the oil and filter. i use syn. oil and when the clerk told me it would be $60 plus i quietly said no thanks.

now i know i can go to wally world (wal-mart) and get a 5 qt container of motorcraft synthetic blend for $10 and a motorcraft filter for about $4.

that being said, is the motorcraft synthetic blend that i buy at walmart a full synthetic oil, i'm not sure what they would mean by sythetic blend because i've been thinking i've been using full synthetic.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Motorcraft oil is made by Conoco and is nearly identical to TropArctic, 76, Kendall and probably others. Synthetic blend can mean almost anything, but certainly not full synthetic. Instead of using Group II+ base oil, like Chevron or Pennzoil, Conoco decided to use Group II with a Group III "correction fluid" to meet API SM standards and then advertise the fact that there is some Group III in there by calling it a blend.

Jim

Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
lablue96
Senior User
ohh, before i started using that syn blend, i used to put quaker torque synthetic, which i believe is full synthetic. then because it was cheaper i switch brands and since it is motorcraft i decided it would be ok. so will that blend be as good as a full syn. oil and will it last as long as the other synthetics.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Walmart Motorcraft oil is the exact same oil that is sold / used at Ford dealerships, including Motorcraft oil filters.

Even though that oil is considered semi-synthetic, it's a very good, quality oil. You can use it through your full recommened OCI, and your engine will perform fine. Here is a case, really where you're splitting hairs between the Motorcraft oil and it's full synthetic or equiviliant. $60? I'd walk too at those prices. I mean, you could use a full synthetic, premium oil at or around $6 a quart, and you'd still only be at or around $30!

Some things are best purchased at the dealer, but oil and filters isn't one of them. Sad too, because if their prices (dealer) were a little closer to the numerous auto parts joints, I'd give the dealer much more of my business.

I do purchase spark plug wires, distributor caps, rotors at the Ford dealer, I've learned the hard way with those parts, the aftermarket more or less is pitiful. (cheap quality, poor performance, wires either too long or too short, ect. I mean, I love a correct set of Motorcraft plug wires, where each wire is the correct length, they fit the cap tower perfectly, and the cylinder #s are even numbered for pete's sake! Too me, it's well worth the extra $12-$16 as compared to it's comparable aftermarket wire set).

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
lablue96
Senior User
i even noticed in the quick lane that a full syn. oil change was $50 dollars, when i asked about the price difference to the person behind the counter, he said thats the way it was, he said it was cheaper to have them do it than buy the oil and doing it myself.

i don't have an exotic and nothing shiny and new, but i do try to take care of my truck as best as i can, i also buy parts from the dealer because in my mind it better to give them my bussiness than the other guys, but somentimes i can't...

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.....

Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
mercman86
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive been using the motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20 and oem filter since my truck was new. change it every 3 months or 3,000 miles, if i take a long trip towing my trailer (over 1,000 miles) i have it changed as soon as i get there (tropical ford in orlando,fl sends me their sales flyer lol). some call it overkill but i know my oil is always clean and ill get the most life out of my engine since i drive all my vehicles into the ground lol