General Automotive Discussion

Ranger getting discontinued next year

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by valdor
I love old school trucks, but the Mahindra, well no...Atleast If you are getting the same ones we got. As a ranger driver youd be dissapointed. And as far as thet 2.2l Diesel mill pulling 7000lbs, well that 160 ftlbs wnt do it. Ones we have here wont pull much over 3000lbs odd. She's a plain Jane wich i appreciate but id rather buy a good conditionend Ranger or such if i am on a tight budget (wich i am)
The American Mahindra pickup is supposed to have around 180-200 HP with 300 ft-lbs of toque.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valdor
Heard our middle east oil barron friends wanna lower production to prevent the oil price going our way
seems to me it may not work.... this crisis deccelerate China economy and oil prices will go down anyway. Did yoy think why crisis happens? Seems to me becouse someone needs it. This crisis was started to change global economy. IMF will help some contries, but some countries will not get any help (Russia for example, till Medvedev change politics).....

USA will let crisis go on to drop oil prices, slow down China, let Indian economy grow up a bit to change Global ballance, limit Russia....., decrease prices for real estate, make banks be more carefull and not too aggressive....

One q! Who whant it? Try to answer....

Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
You can count on it now that they have had a taste of 100.00 a barrel oil, there not going to stand for this too long. The only reason there leting it go this far is we were are all most in a world wide depression. The powers that be figure lower fuel prices may help spur the economy. The high fuel prices is what started the economy going down hill. They can price oil at 200.00$ a barrel, but if no one has money or jobs, they wont sell much. By spiking oil, all they do is push nations to excell in alternitive fuel production and are going to cut thier own throats in the end. If they would keep oil at 45.00$ to 65.00$ a barrel, it would help stablize economies so there wouldn't be run away inflation. No matter what, I think this time they woke america up and were still going to drill more, plus excell alternitive fuel technology. It's time we let them drink thier stinkin oil!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should have discontinued the Ranger a long time ago. I bought one in 2004 and only kept it 4 months.

V-6 performance with V-8 fuel mileage was my chief complaint. That truck was terrible on gas for a small vehicle I was not pleased.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 AM
racsan
Posting Guru
the cap on my truck is a gemtop (model-navajo). was on the truck when i bought it. back in '91 a new leer 'glass cap for a 6' bed ranger was $600.00 dont know what they are today. i dont have much in the way of pictures of just the cap. here is the best pciture i think i have that shows it, from last winter.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
LeadHead .. re the rack & pinion steerin:
It may be very accurate and direct, but it won't take much beating from ruts and rocks and stuff before the inner tie rods start to get loose and sloppy. The recirculating ball or a plain worm and gear can be just as tight, and the assist from the power steering pump can be adjusted by the stiffness of the torsion bar that works the spool valve. Most are over boosted, so you have no 'feel' from the steering.
I'm not sure myself if the sturdiness trade off is worth it...
Oh, and on-topic, Ford would be foolish to stop Ranger production. Have you seen an ad for one in the past 5 years? I haven't. Fuel costs will increase for one reason or another, conflict, taxes, or reduced supply. Anyone who thinks they will not is, I think, just being wishful. The crunch will come back with a vengeance.
Hey, Ford!! put some development dollars into a good seller. You might be surprised at the response. IMO, the F150 is too big, too tall, to heavy and to 'ritzy' for a real truck.

tom

Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by racsan
the cap on my truck is a gemtop (model-navajo). was on the truck when i bought it. back in '91 a new leer 'glass cap for a 6' bed ranger was $600.00 dont know what they are today. i dont have much in the way of pictures of just the cap. here is the best pciture i think i have that shows it, from last winter.
Truck caps went up a lot. I priced a Leer truck cap for my SB SD in 05' and it was $1800. Granted the Ranger is much smaller but don't expect the price to go below a grand even for a Ranger cap.

Nice truck by the way, its aging well.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
If no one else will stick up for the ranger I will.
mnmwhit, I had an 04 ranger 4x4 with the 4.0, 4:10 gears and 5 speed manual. I got 20 mpg local and 24 highway. However, any true 4x4 system creates weight and drag reguardless of engine size. The toyota 4x4 with the 4 cylinder gets 18 mpg average. The new crossovers do better as there unibody and awd. A body on frame truck with a low and high range transfer case with 4:10 gears isn't going to set mpg records even in a lighter truck with a smaller engine because of the drag factor. I switched to all synthetic fluids in the drivetrain and used a bama engine programer that allowed the engine to run at peck effientency on 93 octane fuel. I also had an intake and catback. Also the 4.0 didn't really break in untill 5,000 miles. Thats when I did my first oil change and used mobil 1. In the tranny, t-case and rear diff I used royal purple. At 5,000 miles and on is when I started achieving my best mpg. The other mods were added later. Before the 5,000 mile mark, I would get 18 local and 22 highway. The manual tranny makes a difference as well. I don't believe you gave your ranger a real chance if only having it for 4 months. My 09 is the 7th ranger I've owned and I think there a great truck. A lot of us our glad that the ranger will live on. The 2012 4 cylinder based world ranger will have alittle better mpg rating with the 4wd and may even be a tad smaller. So anyone wanting a 4.0 powered ranger has until 2011, so get them while there hot ha ha.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 AM
valdor
Senior User
Originally Posted by wendell borror
You can count on it now that they have had a taste of 100.00 a barrel oil, there not going to stand for this too long. The only reason there leting it go this far is we were are all most in a world wide depression. The powers that be figure lower fuel prices may help spur the economy. The high fuel prices is what started the economy going down hill. They can price oil at 200.00$ a barrel, but if no one has money or jobs, they wont sell much. By spiking oil, all they do is push nations to excell in alternitive fuel production and are going to cut thier own throats in the end. If they would keep oil at 45.00$ to 65.00$ a barrel, it would help stablize economies so there wouldn't be run away inflation. No matter what, I think this time they woke america up and were still going to drill more, plus excell alternitive fuel technology. It's time we let them drink thier stinkin oil!!!!!!!!
I will drink (beer) to that!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
let it die!!!

my powerstroke gets that kind of mileage and is a capable truck

Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Oggie
Freshman User
Its about time. As capable as the Ranger is for what it was built for. Its time for a change. Remember the eleventh commandment of owning a Ford truck. It ain't a Chevy. It ain't gonna get the mileage of a Chevy. But, it will work a comparable Chevy in to the mud. Owned both and I prefer my Fords for a work truck.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey

I think they should keep the ranger, keep the 2.3 as the base 2wd engine, make the 4.0 the base 4x4 option (so when we wanna buy a used one in a few years we wont have to worry about finding one) and give them a small 4.4 v8 or somethin like that.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I too think they should keep the little 2wd 2.3 Ranger. Its a great inexpensive little errand runner truck that has many uses especially for businesses.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:48 PM
valdor
Senior User
Have heard they plan to built the next generation Ranger mebe even a tad smaller. Well since that truck is about all we in the rest of the world will get (unless you import an F truck yourself and have it converted to right hand drive) I would hate to see it even smaller. Nowadays the market is to have a big compact (midsize) like the Toy Hilux (Tacoma) and Nissan Navara (Frontier). Also our compact pickups are all rated to haul 2200-2500lbs, But often loading bay area are much more important than outrite hauling abillity. Wish they give us the new F100 even if they keep the Ranger name but give it a one ton capacity. That would be nice, sadly i can only dream of that.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
hah! they want to have one chassis for Transit and F100. They want to build SUV (may be they will call it Bronco-III) on this chassis

Quick Reply: Ranger getting discontinued next year