6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 6.4 mpg improvements

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:50 PM
jackpine
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF removal

So I suspect then that removing the DPF then voids the warrenty? Do you get a check engine lite on too by doing this?

Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
In theory removing the DPF will void the powertrain warranty. It depends on what kind of problem you might have, and how lenient you service manager is. I've already told mine what I'm doing and for the most part he's ok with it as long as I don't blow up the motor. Once I get it all installed he's going to go over it all and see how we're doing this.

As far as the back pressure goes here's the numbers I've been getting. My SCT will read the pressure sensor that reads the back pressure caused by the DPF. Before I removed it the pressure ranged from 4-10 Kpa during regular driving, and 60+ during hard acceleration. Now I'm measuring 0.039 Kpa going down the highway, and never more than 1.2 Kpa during hard acceleration. So it's a pretty significant reduction, but there is still pressure in front of the Cat, but not for long.

Calling it a polluter again is one way to say it. My view is now I'm burning a lot less fuel, and blowing a little smoke which settles to the ground anyway. So I'm considering it a trade off, it's really how you view it. Now this mod is not considered legal for on road use, it is a federally mandated emissions control device. I did purchase it for off-road use, mainly so there is not the high heat from the DPF under the truck while I'm working in the field, too much of a risk of fire.

With the proper programming you should not get any check engine lights or throw codes. This does mean a programmer is required to remove the DPF, which Ford is frowning on right now, but like I said it's really up to your service manager.

Basically what you need is a programmer capable of removing the regeneration cycle of the truck. Then there are a few options for the pipe that replaces the exhaust filters. You can either go with a pipe that just replaces the DPF and leaves the Cat, the other is a complete delete pipe that removes the DPF & Cat and connects to the downpipe. Currently I'm running just the DPF delete pipe, but I'll be getting my 5" turbo back pipe on Monday. Than basically you can choose what ever exhaust system you want to exit the truck.

Both delete pipes take roughly an hour to install with normal tools.

Costs will vary depending on what options you choose but you're looking at about a $1500 investment for a good system. I'm already up to $2300, but that's because I bought everything separately and the cost of my stacks was more than a regular exhaust. I put a lot of miles on my truck so it will eventually break even. I went from 600 miles a tank to 750.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 PM
mick1955
Senior User
SouthTexasDiesel,
If you remove the DPF, can you reinstall it if you want, say to take it in for warranty work? And does it just unbolt, or is it cut off? Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 F350, King Ranch, DRW, 4.10, White/Gold
USAF Retired - Support our Troops

Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
66stang351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mick1955
SouthTexasDiesel,
If you remove the DPF, can you reinstall it if you want, say to take it in for warranty work? And does it just unbolt, or is it cut off? Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a bolt-on part. So, yes, you can put it back on.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by mick1955
SouthTexasDiesel,

It's a bolt-on/off package. The entire stock exhaust system is kept in once piece.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
brenelso
New User
SouthTexasDiesel,

Your info is very helpful. I am a new diesel owner and find your posts very useful. Just wanted to say thanks!

I have an 08 f250 king ranch, and am very interested in removing the dpf and the cat. Also wanted to go 4in back from turbo. I was wondering where you can find these parts to do so, including the tuner and pipes, which brands ect...... I just put on a MagnaFlow cat back exhuast and saw absolutly no difference what so ever. I also made the purchase of a flashpaq superchips tuner. Seems i made an investment a little to early.

Also, I am in Houston, I see that you are in Sout Texas, just wondering if you knew of a good service shop anywhere close.

Thanks again for your posts and diesel knowledge.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Pahrump1
Junior User
I removed the DPF and added the tune shortly after I purchased my truck, I think I had about 500 miles on it when I did.

With this mod I picked up about 4mpg, that being said, IMO I am using so much less fuel, that the little smoke is not even a factor if you are trying to be a "greenie" I would think that burning all that extra fuel would "lite your fire" so to say over a touch of smoke being put out.

Does it void the warrenty? Well yes, if you roll into the dealership with the DPF delete pipe on and you dont have any relationship with the service dept. My setup is a bolt on setup, takes about 30 minutes to install, and remove, theres no cutting or welding. So you could easily bolt the stock part back on before taking it in for a problem, and then set the tune back to stock if need be.

I currently do have a DPF delete pipe, and tuner for sale, as I have went with a Cat/DPF delete pipe, and a different tuner that will have GPS built in as well...course the cost on my new stuff is a good bit more....and course I paid a great deal more for my current setup (thats for sale) than I am selling for.

The tuner is from BADP (Bay Area Diesel Performance) in BayTown TX, as well as the pipe...its a 35/45/85/135HP tuner, with all gauges built in..EGT, RPM, Trans Temp, Engine Temp, etc..etc.. I will take $750 for both pieces, and if you are in or around the Beaumont/Houston area I will meet you part way to do the deal even.

And if you dont buy mine....I strongly suggest you buy SOMETHING that does this, you will be sooo much more happy with your truck, after you take the choker off, and when you start getting the milage that you should...mileage...I get average of 15 mostly city driving...18 on the highway, with 37" tires.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
zoomboard
New User
Parump,

I'd be very interested in picking up your used system. I have an '08 LB CC. Is it compatible?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Pahrump1
Junior User
Originally Posted by zoomboard
Parump,

I'd be very interested in picking up your used system. I have an '08 LB CC. Is it compatible?
Yeah, but I think its a sold part already.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"In theory removing the DPF will void the powertrain warranty. It depends on what kind of problem you might have, and how lenient you service manager is. I've already told mine what I'm doing and for the most part he's ok with it as long as I don't blow up the motor. Once I get it all installed he's going to go over it all and see how we're doing this."

I felt it I should bold face this sentence as it is not something that one who cannot afford to fix their own truck should overlook. Basically service manager is saying, yea you still got a warranty, but we may have some issues if you actually need to use it.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
zoomboard
New User
"I'm doing my part to reduce food imports, control rising food costs and help feed the children, my trucks run on 100% petroleum diesel. What are you doing?"

WHAT? You elect to burn fossil fuel instead of something renewable and want to say you're doing it for the children? Is that 6+ pounds of crap you're putting into the environment everytime you burn a gallon of petroleum diesel for them too? Nice!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"I'm doing my part to reduce food imports, control rising food costs and help feed the children, my trucks run on 100% petroleum diesel. What are you doing?"

WHAT? You elect to burn fossil fuel instead of something renewable and want to say you're doing it for the children?
Absolutely.

Is that 6+ pounds of crap you're putting into the environment everytime you burn a gallon of petroleum diesel for them too? Nice!
No, but if thats whats happening I am doing it for everyone.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 AM
serviceguy
Junior User

WHAT? You elect to burn fossil fuel instead of something renewable and want to say you're doing it for the children? Is that 6+ pounds of crap you're putting into the environment everytime you burn a gallon of petroleum diesel for them too? Nice!
Just wait until food is so expensive that people can't afford food or the gas to drive to the store to buy it and yes this is coming. BIO FUELS from our food supply= BAD IDEA.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by origcharger
"In theory removing the DPF will void the powertrain warranty. It depends on what kind of problem you might have, and how lenient you service manager is. I've already told mine what I'm doing and for the most part he's ok with it as long as I don't blow up the motor. Once I get it all installed he's going to go over it all and see how we're doing this."

I felt it I should bold face this sentence as it is not something that one who cannot afford to fix their own truck should overlook. Basically service manager is saying, yea you still got a warranty, but we may have some issues if you actually need to use it.

That's exactly true. Don't get a mod that might screw something up that you can't afford. I let him drive my truck for awhile on Tuesday and he absolutely loved it. After he covered the highway in smoke he did a few laps around the dealership showing off. The main reason I told him what I was going to do was because I would rather him know exactly what I'm doing right now than have to give him a bunch a BS later on if something happens. If you give the guys enough credit and be straightforward with them they will usually work with you any way they can.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with your theory STD is that while were burning more fuel before, the exhaust was clean, even though burning more fuel you were polluting less. I'm all for gettin the better mileage and can't wait for my dads truck to be out of warranty so we can peel that exhaust off and get some proper diesel advantage back.

Quick Reply: 2008 6.4 mpg improvements