Oil & Lubrication  

Who actually uses Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Royal Purple, Mobil 1, RED LINE, Torco Oils...

I would use Royal Purple or Mobil 1 with equal confidence. Both oils are high quality lubricants and you can't go wrong with either one of them.

I would also add RED LINE OIL as well. Top-Tier oils and RED LINE oils are very good. Another equal to all of what I've mentioned, but hard to locate, is TORCO Racing / TORCO Synthetic Oils. A great product with a very long history in the field.

Just my 1/4 cents worth...

Ed

Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm I've never heard or seen TORCO brand before ED..
I'll have to check them out.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up More on TORCO Oil...

Check this out, I remember seeing TORCO used in Super Stock and Modified Production Race cars in drag racing as far back as the late 60s when I was early 70s when I was a kid -- I was heavily into drag racing, and going to the races.

Saw Ronnie Sox in his '70 HEMI 'Cuda (SOX & MARTIN) match race Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins '70 Camaro SS back in northeast Ohio. Sox's HEMI was an actual 4-speed race car, which was rare even back then!

So much fun, this was when the track guys would lay down rosin for traction (for both cars) about 15' out of the hole. Grump's Chevy would rev so high I think the engine would scatter, Sox's Hemi pure brute strength and horsepower, both cars very loud, full race motors, built for Championship Drag Racing. When the green lights came on at the tree, it was World War III, loud, wicked, and those slicks would hook and launch the cars like a rocket. with 6" of daylight under both the 'Cuda and Camaro's front tires --cars were gone down the quarter mile -- I had a watermelon eating grin on my 12 year old face, what an era!

Check this out on Torco: Torco USA

And THIS!!!!: YouTube - In memory of Ronnie Sox new

Old 06-04-2008, 09:15 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Torco was all I used in motorcycles back then. My brother and I had two-stroke Suzuki and Yamaha bikes and Torco was much cleaner burning than the outboard motor oils from Valvoline, etc.

Jim

Old 06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
[QUOTE=Ed;6223707]Check this out, I remember seeing TORCO used in Super Stock and Modified Production Race cars in drag racing as far back as the late 60s when I was early 70s when I was a kid -- I was heavily into drag racing, and going to the races.

Saw Ronnie Sox in his '70 HEMI 'Cuda (SOX & MARTIN) match race Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins '70 Camaro SS back in northeast Ohio. Sox's HEMI was an actual 4-speed race car, which was rare even back then!

So much fun, this was when the track guys would lay down rosin for traction (for both cars) about 15' out of the hole. Grump's Chevy would rev so high I think the engine would scatter, Sox's Hemi pure brute strength and horsepower, both cars very loud, full race motors, built for Championship Drag Racing. When the green lights came on at the tree, it was World War III, loud, wicked, and those slicks would hook and launch the cars like a rocket. with 6" of daylight under both the 'Cuda and Camaro's front tires --cars were gone down the quarter mile -- I had a watermelon eating grin on my 12 year old face, what an era!

Ya I wish I had lived in those early eras, to known what it was like to live in a Powerful free and true America. Makes me think of what my grandfather and vet of 2 wars would say "Son I wish I had died in the war and not seen how much of a waste it had turned out to be" Must have been great in those days to have a car that you dragged with and still able to drive it across the country on less money then I spend buying groceries..
But any ways thanks for those links Ed! no wonder I've never seen that brand before its not sold within 600 miles of me lol. Well I've changed every thing to Rp and needless to say the old girl feels 5 years younger I'm glade I did, as long as I'm able to afford RP I'll put it in any thing I own with a engine when I can't I'll go back to Mo1..

Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 AM
1981Ranger
Junior User
I love it it really woke up my 351M in my 1981 f150

Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I refuse to even consider the stuff. Back in the day when RP was pouncing on the market I worked for a large performance parts wholesale warehouse business in inside sales. And of course we brought it on as a product so I wanted to know what I was selling. Basic questions, "What is the base stock, is it a group III synthetic? Why is it freaking purple?" I asked their sales reps when they came by, got plenty of free t-shirts and such but no answers. I called, nobody would tell me, a guy selling truck loads of the stuff to other companies. If what's in the stuff is THAT big of a secret it can't be good.

So as far as I'm concerned it's all advertising hype, just another cheap group III synthetic with some additives, a purple dye, and a HUGE marketing department. After that I wrote the stuff off, maybe more info is out now, I haven't read the whole thread. But it isn't going in any of my equipment. IMO everything that RP products claim to be products from companies like Red Line and Amsoil really are without all the hyped up secretive BS. Think about it, as much as RP advertises and sponsors to sell their rather cheap oil how much investment can they really be putting in the oil.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:44 AM
1981Ranger
Junior User
Their oil is anything but cheap unless you consider ten bucks a quart cheap

Old 10-07-2013, 04:42 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1981Ranger
Their oil is anything but cheap unless you consider ten bucks a quart cheap
WOW then that makes it even worse. Why on earth would you pay $10 a quart for some mystery gimmick purple something when you could get certainly Mobil1 for less and and likely Red Line or Amsoil for less or the same money.

Edit,

FWIW Mobil1 isn't exactly 100% clear about there base stock either, but they are much more proven and cost less. To the best of my knowledge only 2 brands are clear about what there oil actually is, Red Line and Amsoil.

FYI for those that don't know, a Group III synthetic isn't really a synthetic. It's dino oil that has been processed to act like a synthetic. The courts have ruled that it can be called a synthetic so as it is much cheaper to produce the vast majority of "synthetic" engine oils are group III. That said group III synthetics do still have MUCH better properties then conventional oils and in some instances may even be better then a true synthetic. For example where a little less lubricity and temperature stabilty should be traded for less seal/ring leakage and most of all cost.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM
1981Ranger
Junior User
Because it woke up my 32 year old truck unlike any other brand of oil that i tried and i want to make the truck last as long as possible when i do stuff to the truck i am not cheap

Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
How does an oil "wake up" a truck?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 AM
1981Ranger
Junior User
First of all the truck ran like **** when i bought it . When i first tryed it would accelerate much smoother and idle much better. I will stay with Royal Purple and you can keep using whatever you use all i was doing was sharing my experience with the brand since that was the question.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
I don't mind paying for a good oil, but I've been somewhat of a Royal Purple skeptic...

Maybe it is a good oil, but Mobile 1 is probably just as good or better and it's cheaper.

I usually either run Penzoil high detergent conventional oil (every now and then for a clean out, and some sea foam for the last couple hundred miles) or some type of synthetic oil (usually castrol, but I've used others)