Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oil & Lubrication NO MLM Dealers, Wholesale Buyers Or Retailers allowed (except sponsors)
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Good point. In theory with a CVT or a very old automatic, without lockup torque converter, an engine producing the same torque at a lower rpm COULD, again in theory, run a lower rpm in the same gear at the same road speed.

RP hype reflects negatively on the reputation of the company. Statements on the RP website like this: "Reduces emissions by up to 20% or more" are legally defined as advertising "puffery" and therefore do not have to be true. Its kind of like politics.

Jim
Old 04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Elder User

TheNomad is starting off with a positive reputation.
[QUOTE=Ed;6101585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad View Post
I started using RP in my 79 after my brand new engine lifters started going out, it didnt stop them but the engine runs much smoother and cooler. So now I use it in all my trucks.
79 Ranger 03 Ranger and 94 Bronco RP for life.
----------------------------------
That was a very good clip on Royal Purple, and explains what many of us have been saying for a long time here.

Also, that Royal Purple clip also showed why using higher, thicker oil is not a good idea, with those tight tolerences in many modern engines. Oil that's supposed to flow quickly through there, and some want to add their dated, thick, oil to these engines?

No thank you.

There is another clip again showing how 5w30 oil can be used with confidence in engines that are stressed, towing, extended OCI's ect.

Thanks for that link. It confirmed what I've read and thought for a long time nicely.
Thanks Ed. I thought it was pretty cool to, I think this is some of the best Oil I have used ever. I started using RP in my 79 back in early winter at the same time I took out the old belt ran fan and installed a Flexi Lite fan. After that my truck did not want to warm up so I installed a switch on the fan for cold started ups. Well here it is getin hot as heck in west Texas and I thought some thing was wrong with my temp gauge well I changed it to a new one then a new temp sender and my truck is running cooler then it has ever before.
To me my eyes,my gauges , driveway and the sound of my truck starting up is better then any lab
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Senior User

greenego is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess that I won't be using RP anytime soon because my engine operates at a normal operating temp. now and I get good heat of the heater in the winter months so why would I want to mess all of that up with oil that won't let my engine warm up. It's a miracle!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:36 AM
Posting Guru

Ed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Talking

[QUOTE=greenego;6102489]I guess that I won't be using RP anytime soon because my engine operates at a normal operating temp. now and I get good heat of the heater in the winter months so why would I want to mess all of that up with oil that won't let my engine warm up. It's a miracle!
---------------
Please tell us you're joking?!! LOL good one! Heck, soon Royal purple will get the reputation you can put you open palm of your hand on the exhaust manifolds, with the engine running and it won't be burned because RP causes the engine to run that cool! Please... But I know you're joking...
Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Elder User

joking!! my engine runs so cool I opened the window and sat a fan by my headers and now I have ice forming on my new lcd!! God said let there be RP! then he rested..

Really its in the good book,... some where in the back with gambling.....
Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 AM
Senior User

greenego is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah I'm just joking around ( a little exageration ) but some of the comments on here about royal purple are a bit hard to believe. I did read on a royal purple website that their oil in older engines because of its polishing characteristics will smooth out cylinder wall and bearing surfaces. Sounds a little fishy to me. Their advertising hype leaves a lot to be desired as they sound a lot like some of those miracle oil additives that will magically restore your engine ( a rebuild in a bottle ).
Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Elder User

hofuf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenego View Post
Yeah I'm just joking around ( a little exageration ) but some of the comments on here about royal purple are a bit hard to believe. I did read on a royal purple website that their oil in older engines because of its polishing characteristics will smooth out cylinder wall and bearing surfaces. Sounds a little fishy to me. Their advertising hype leaves a lot to be desired as they sound a lot like some of those miracle oil additives that will magically restore your engine ( a rebuild in a bottle ).
The fact remains that very large corporations are using Royal Purple in their industrial equipment with excellent results. They wouldn't be using it if it weren't performing well.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
pawpaw, or anyone else, I'd really like you to explain how oil can affect engine rpm at the same highway cruising speed. No way!
Well lets think about this some more.

An engine has to use some of it's output power to pump it's lubricant, so if the lubricant we use pumps with less energy to move it, then it seems to me that freed up energy can be used to move the vehicle, rather than pump the lube, so slightly less throttle would be needed at a given speed!!!!

Same for the friction reduicing characteristics of the lube. If it's flowing easier & reducing the friction of the moving parts of the engine better, then that regained energy can be used to move the vehicle, rather than turn the engine, so slightly less throttle is needed for a given speed.

Maybe a throttle position position reading or MAF, or some other measure of change would help confirm a difference.

All I know is that for some reason, this 99 4.0L Rangers pushrod engine turns out better highway mpg, with 5w-30 Havoline synthetic, compaired to dino 5W-30 Havoline.

Calculated by using the same gas from the same station & pump, with the trip made over the same road, at the same speeds & carring the same load, same tires aired up to the same pressure, ect, ect!!!!

In other words I tried to keep all the variables in control & only changed the type of crankase lube.

So it seems to me, at least at highway speeds, maybe a synthetic lube of choice would be worth considering, if it'll increase the vehicles highway mpg.

With gas prices on the increase, those that run the interstate daily, would see a payback in in the extra cost of synthetic, in fuel savings, much quicker.

I don't run the interstate & as I've said in previous posts, haven't to date been able to measure any increase in urban/city mpg btween synthetic & dino Havoline, so using synthetic for urban/city fuel savings doesn't seem to apply to my 4.0L, so I'll probably continue to use dino lube, unless I can find synthetic at about the same price.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
I think you missed the point of the question. In a manual transmission or a modern automatic with a lockup torque converter it is physically impossible. Engine rpm and road speed are locked together and no lubricant in the universe, unless applied directly to the tires, is going to change that.

Jim
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Posting Guru

[QUOTE=hofuf;6104852]The fact remains that very large corporations are using Royal Purple in their industrial equipment with excellent results. They wouldn't be using it if it weren't performing well.
--------------------------
GOOD POINT! Plus you're 100% correct, in that Royal Purple is used in numerous industrial machinery that is very $$ expensive, plus tey are used in servere service conditions (high heat and continious operation).

Again, a very good point.

Ed
Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Posting Guru

Wink

[QUOTE=greenego;6104698]Yeah I'm just joking around ( a little exageration ) but some of the comments on here about royal purple are a bit hard to believe. I did read on a royal purple website that their oil in older engines because of its polishing characteristics will smooth out cylinder wall and bearing surfaces. Sounds a little fishy to me. Their advertising hype leaves a lot to be desired as they sound a lot like some of those miracle oil additives that will magically restore your engine ( a rebuild in a bottle ).
--------------------
No fishyness or hype with Royal Purple. Seriously. You really need to read the various oil trade journals / magazines. Whenever Royal Purple is discussed or tested, they receive high marks, and their company's reputaion has a documented history. This is documentaion used within the oil industry itself, where Royal Purple's competitors and colleagues discuss their products and trends in the oil industry.

Their oils are also huge in motorsports, oval racing, sprint car racing, stock car racing, raceboats, drag racing. These owners and teams would not be lubricating their very expensive racing engines to "miracle snake oils", based on "hype".

You don't have to like or use their product. However, Royal Purple is indeed a quality company manufacturing numerous specialized lubricants.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Elder User

[QUOTE=Ed;6109246]
Quote:
--------------------
No fishyness or hype with Royal Purple. Seriously. You really need to read the various oil trade journals / magazines. Whenever Royal Purple is discussed or tested, they receive high marks, and their company's reputaion has a documented history. This is documentaion used within the oil industry itself, where Royal Purple's competitors and colleagues discuss their products and trends in the oil industry.

Their oils are also huge in motorsports, oval racing, sprint car racing, stock car racing, raceboats, drag racing. These owners and teams would not be lubricating their very expensive racing engines to "miracle snake oils", based on "hype".

You don't have to like or use their product. However, Royal Purple is indeed a quality company manufacturing numerous specialized lubricants.
Since i've been using RP in my trucks I have seen some really results.
I dont see my new trucks running cooler but my 79 runs much cooler then she use to.as fun gas mileage not really sure there.. But I think even if you use the Wally world brand and you change it when it needs to be changed you should be just fine..
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Elder User

I know this off the topic sorta but I was just wondering. When I change my tranny fluid would I add a quart of RP trans fluid?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Posting Guru

Smile

[QUOTE=TheNomad;6121457]I know this off the topic sorta but I was just wondering. When I change my tranny fluid would I add a quart of RP trans fluid?
-------------
You can use Royal Purple's MAX ATF, which is a very good trans fluid. Is that what you meant?

Check this out: Royal Purple Transmission Fluid
Old 05-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Elder User

[QUOTE=Ed;6121804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad View Post
I know this off the topic sorta but I was just wondering. When I change my tranny fluid would I add a quart of RP trans fluid?
-------------
You can use Royal Purple's MAX ATF, which is a very good trans fluid. Is that what you meant?

Check this out: Royal
Purple Transmission Fluid
Thats what I get for writing on pain pills.
What I was asking is. I know I cant run full Syn in a C6 tranny.
So would it hurt or help to add a qrt of Rp when I change my fluid..
wondering if it would help things run cooler and smoother.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 04:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication

Tags
bad, capri, car, forums, gas, gear, good, increase, lincoln, mileage, oil, oilford, purple, rotella, royal, wi