Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Spreading Around Reputation Points

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spreading Around Reputation Points

Ok, an FTE member does something amazing to help out a fellow FTE member that goes above and beyond.....

Now I have to spread around Rep Points so the Good-doer can get what he deserves?

This rule needs changed.

A perfect recent example is Mike (Tenn) doing what he did for Jeremy.

Oh, but please, someone else deserves to be recognized as Mike has been. We don't want to disappoint some one in an adult Diesel Forum.

Come on FTE, if a member deserves the Rep., then let them get the Rep.!

Please.

Edit: There have been many others before this that deserved Rep Points from all of us but couldn't receive them.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 AM
RussB
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Orezona
Ok, an FTE member does something amazing to help out a fellow FTE member that goes above and beyond.....

Now I have to spread around Rep Points so the Good-doer can get what he deserves?

This rule needs changed.

A perfect recent example is Mike (Tenn) doing what he did for Jeremy.

Oh, but please, someone else deserves to be recognized as Mike has been. We don't want to disappoint some one in an adult Diesel Forum.

Come on FTE, if a member deserves the Rep., then let them get the Rep.!

Please.

Edit: There have been many others before this that deserved Rep Points from all of us but couldn't receive them.
I'll second that motion !!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Mr Jimi
Senior User
Why can't you give a certain member rep if well deserved ? I know the system says you have to spread some around before you give it to same person which is understandable
or am I missing something here

Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Technitom
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
its kinda stupid...."oohh please give me another brownie point"

the moderators should look at who's posting what and give the reputable guys points and tag the bull$#!ters for what they are... promote the good advice and stop the bad advice

Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Mr Jimi
Senior User
I moderate a couple of forums and if anyone gets caught asking for rep, they automatically lose 200 points !! no body should ever ask for rep on any forum..
And ours is set up a little different than it is here, one rep is 15 points on ours

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Technitom
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
also stop the plagiarism!!!!

I've been around here since 2004 and I see guys getting and taking credit for things done by guys like Steve Baz and Quadzilla as well as many of the oldtimers who pioneered some of these mods.

its gotten worse since they split the forum into different diesel catagories...SHEEZE!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
From what I've read, the spread it around was put in place to prevent people from getting together to "run up the score" so to speak. It gets frustrating sometimes, but there are lots of folks who contribute what they can. What's the harm in spreading it around some.

Yes Mike does deserve points from all of us for towing Jeremy back. We all need to hit him when we can.

As for the plagiarism, I agree taking credit for others work is bad, but helping to pass on what they learned is good. There's not really a lot of new information on these motors anymore, so most of what you see here is just regurgitated information anyway. Maybe if those guys would come around here more often we could rep them.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I see it differently as far as "taking credit" for somebody else's idea for a mod. We are sharing knowledge. Most of the new guys come on here seeking answers......myself included. We all start at some level of "diesel knowledge" Some more then others. If a new guy (or veteran) asks a question about something that I know the answer to, I just view that as passing along things I have learned on here, NOT stealing ideas. I believe when somebody is continually helpful to others on here.....they DESERVE rep points, we're all here to help, and learn. I know I learn something new on here everyday, and I'm glad to pass on that knowledge to other members, and my friends who also drive Powerstrokes. Rant over

Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
I think they should leave it as is. Rep points come both positive and negative, having to spread them around is a good policy to help keep things real. It also provides a measure of protection from bitter souls with nothing to do and all day to do it.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I can say is, I will give reps to anyone I want to. Normaly I have to wait because I gave too many. I was able to give Jeremy and Mike reps this morning. Reps mean nothing to FTE as far as being worth something like, with 500 points you get a free years SUPPORTER badge. But to me it means a thank you for some good information, or that was a good post. What Mike did was way above and beyond posting some link for a guy to do a mod.

I too think they both deserve a Rep point from me.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
This policy is much like most laws in our country... deemed necessary only to potentially minimize the impact of those who do things iresponsibly, unfairly, and/or inappropriately. However, as with our laws again, it is typically the "good guys" who abide by the rules and the "bad guys" find loopholes and ways to circumvent the situation anyway. Practically speaking, gone are the days where the code of "My word is my honor, and I will not violate it" is adeuqate without hard and fast policies, rules, and regs. We are therefore stuck with having these hard and fast rules and regs limit what the "good guys" can accomplish out of wise and fair judgement.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Technitom
its kinda stupid...."oohh please give me another brownie point"

the moderators should look at who's posting what and give the reputable guys points
Yeah ,,,about that ,,,

I recently saw a mod give rep points for someone posting about how to clean your steering wheel & carpet ....

Old 04-15-2008, 09:51 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Rep points

Originally Posted by F250_
This policy is much like most laws in our country... deemed necessary only to potentially minimize the impact of those who do things iresponsibly, unfairly, and/or inappropriately. However, as with our laws again, it is typically the "good guys" who abide by the rules and the "bad guys" find loopholes and ways to circumvent the situation anyway. Practically speaking, gone are the days where the code of "My word is my honor, and I will not violate it" is adeuqate without hard and fast policies, rules, and regs. We are therefore stuck with having these hard and fast rules and regs limit what the "good guys" can accomplish out of wise and fair judgement.
Pete, well stated. The guys that are reputable don't need the rules, but there is always the other side.

Edit: Just went to leave you some reps but couldn't.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has any of you recieved or gave a negative rep?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Actually.....both Rick. But that user had been on probation many times, and I think he's gone now? I was repeatedly harrased, for no reason. Sorta like....a troll that wouldn't go away lol

Quick Reply: Spreading Around Reputation Points