hand held or pc based tune for 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
GRUSSON
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hand held or pc based tune for 5.4

i have just installed a set of livernois cam phaser lockouts in my 2005-5.4 triton engine, and need to tune the motor to turn off the vct in the system. does anyone know if this can be done with an off the shelf tuner like the diablo, or does it need to be done with a pc based tune. (dealer level)
im sure i wont take it to the dealer for this, but if anyone has the answer, it would sure save me alot of footwork looking for the right type of tune.
thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know if it is included with the Predator or not, but they can e-mail you a custom tune if it isn't that you can download intot he unit from your PC if needed.

Just curious as to why you would lock them out since this gives better torque and higer rpm power in a truck?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM
GRUSSON
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the first generation 5.4 3v engine began to exhibit an audible knock at about 15-20k
the noise is caused by the cam phaser when the engine reaches operating tempurature.
the internal vanes of the phaser will bounce off of their respective housing and create a serious hot idle knock. due to the low viscosity of the 5w-20 oil used in these engines, there is not enough oil pressure in the system at idle to hold the phaser in position to prevent unwanted movement. (springs on phaser to weak). as a result, the engine parts will continue to wear, and as such the oil pressures will continue to drop over time. this will result in camshaft damage where the phaser mounts to the cam, as well as eventual cam phaser failure. the low cost solution to this problem is to install a set of phaser lockouts inside the phaser itself. it prevents the phaser from moving and causing damage to the cam as well as the phaser. the phaser lock will have a mild effect on performance at the mid to high end as you suggest, however it will cause a slight improvement in bottom end throttle response much like the old 2v engine. its a nice side effect of the locks. ford will not repair the truck under warranty. the say this is a normal condition with these engines. i however dissagree. if this is a normal condition, why has ford revised this part for their 3v engines 5 times since 2004. this solution may not be ideal, but it is a logical step to prevent a part with a failed design from creating a total engine failure. VALVE TO PISTON CONTACT AT HIGH RPM WHEN PHASER FAILS.
the tune ios required to shut down the variable cam timing feature in the pcm. this just prevents the vehicle from throwing a code.
i would suggest that everone with a 3v engine from 2004 to present that exhibits this knock at hot idle, to address this issue with your dealer. they need to own up to this problem, and repair this part under warranty. the dealers in my area are not willing to service what they sell, but perhaps with more pressure applied from more truck owners out there, they will bend to the pressure.
thanks for the chance to reply, greg

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I understand. So they stay advanced for better torque. Cool.
Check with Diablosport, they should be able to add that to a tune if it's not available already.
Jimy