Head and Cam swap.... Results are in!!!

Old 04-07-2002, 11:39 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the moment everyone's been waiting for,
and everything went better than planned, I tore the engine down, found the 3-4 cylinder compression ring was blown out, and the water jacket was spewing free into both cylinders. I elected to continue to rebuild my short block, even though it had a good deal of water in it. I used about 6-7 rolls of paper towels cleaning the thing up. Pulled the old cam/lifters, installed my Comp Xtreme Energy 250 H with new lifters, Crane Blazer true Doulble roller timing chain, Comp Hi-Energy , heat treated pushrods, and Crane Energizer roller-rockers atop World's Windsor Jr heads, held together by ARP Head studs and Fel-Pro's 1011-2 head gaskets. All other fasteners by ARP, except the water pump bolts. well, I was cruising, spening hours scraping old gaskets, and polishing all surfaces with Blue Magic metal polish, just to keep things nice and smooth. Well, when I was putting the water Pump bolts back on, the one bolt in the whole engine that happens to hold the alternator slide bracket decides to break off, right flush with the block. Oh Yeah. Then I break 4 drill bits just trying to drill the bolt out. I am trying not to show any frustration here. I have actually drilled the entire center of the bolt out, and now only the threads remain, and they're firmly stuck, and won't come out. I have an extremely powerful drill, and even it won't drill this thing out. This is unbeleivably frustrating, I spent all of my spring break, and the motor is about 1 hour of my labor away from cranking up, yet ONE BOLT has cost me 4 days of agony. Now, I must head back to school (The Citadel), not having completing the task I set out to do, having run out of hours in the day and night, until I can find someone with some serious equipment to get in my garage and blast the *#$%! out. If you, or any of your friends live in the Atlanta Area, and will work for a case of beer, and have the equipment to drill out a bolt that Satan himself has sent to this earth to agonize me, then please respond. I'll also appreciate sympathetic comments. I am quite distressed, having built an earth-moving 302 that is ready to rock, and then getting derailed by ONE BOLT!. BTW, I did take lots of pictures, and I'd like to post them if someone can tell me how. This thing looks really sweet! (except for the #$$^&^$&! broken bolt!)
Careful Wrenching (Don't break any bolts)
John F. Daly III
The TorqueKing

Old 04-08-2002, 12:42 AM
cajunbronco
Senior User

Next time you break off a bolt,and you will if you work on stuff,get an easy out.You drill out the center enough to tap in the ez out and it will unscrew the bolt.Sounds like you need a heli-coil insert now.

Billy

Old 04-09-2002, 02:18 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

Yeah, I'm about to just overbore the hole, and tap it, the timing cover, the water pump, and the alternator bracket to take a larger thread bolt. I am so frustrated, I have a 302 that has been simulated to 378 ft.lbs, and 330 HP, and it is built to last, and I can't drive it anywhere because of that last water pump bolt. I'm still venting from this.
The TorqueKing

Old 04-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Tom McGoldrick
New User

Search this Thread