Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

how do i check wheel bearings

Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i check wheel bearings

i have been noticing more noise in the cab latley, (kinda like a metal on metal typr deal, but may be just road noise) and it makes me believe i have a possible wheel bearing going, i am not sure how to check for it, but yesterday i jacked the front up and turned the tire slowly and on the pass side i could hear a slight click,click about every half turn, i pulled in and out on the tire and it seems tight, no play and i tried to lift up and down, and all feels tight as well.

i took the tire off and put two lugs back on to hold the rotor on tight and i pryed the caliper back so there was no noise there and turned the rotor around and i could still hear the low sounding click click every half turn. i pulled on the lugs back and forth and up and down and no play.

i dont notice that the noise gets softer or louder while i am driving and truning to take the load off one side.

so i ask

#1- am i doing the right procedures on how to check for a bad bearing, do i check the rear the same way?

#2-if in fact i have a bearing going bad how long can i drive it like this, i have about a 1000 mi road trip in 2 weeks and i am not sure if i could fix it by then. (going to seattle to get my up-pipes, and for a holiday)

#3- if i can fix by then how hard is it to do myself?

thanks guys, i have been doing some searches on here and only finding very little info.

clint

also had to give the smiles a try

Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not real sure on the wheel bearings, but I think the click, click sound you are hearing is an indication they are going out

Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
elk4one
New User
You might just need to lube the hubs, take them apart and re-grease them. IF this doesnt help, changing the bearings is no big deal. Pull the hubs get a wooden dowl or back of rubber mallet and knock them out then replace with new seal. You will need theproper socket to remove the hub assembly p/n D85T-1197,you can rent or borrow from you local schuck's then return. Make certain when you put back together that you torque it 50lbs back it off and re-torque 35 +/- 5. Then torque the outer lock nut tp 160-205 ft lbs. Hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Layson
Posting Guru
Jack the truck back up and pull in and out on the wheels at 10 and 2. If it slides in and out then it is the wheel bearings. Then grab the top and bottom of the tire and push in and out and that will tell you if the ball joints are bad.

You will know if they are bad.. they shouldn't slide in and out...

If you need new ones go to Powerstrokeshop.com - PSD and Ford Superduty Parts they have the cheapest kits available..!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Layson
Jack the truck back up and pull in and out on the wheels at 10 and 2. If it slides in and out then it is the wheel bearings. Then grab the top and bottom of the tire and push in and out and that will tell you if the ball joints are bad.

You will know if they are bad.. they shouldn't slide in and out...

If you need new ones go to Powerstrokeshop.com - PSD and Ford Superduty Parts they have the cheapest kits available..!
thanks i will go out tommorow and check for play again, allthough i am sure there wasnt any, so if there isnt any should be good to go, but possibly lube up the needle bearings one of these days like previously stated by another member right??

Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 PM
dryfly
Elder User
If it turns out to be your wheel bearings.Here is a link with step by step instruction on how to lube the needles to the complete remove and replace.
Here is guzzles home page.Which is where i got the first link from.
Here is anouther link of mods and maintance
I would suggest you save these links.They are extremely helpful.both written up by members of this site.Good luck,and let us know what you find.thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
dryfly
Elder User
I'm sorry Clint.I saw poster #3 and thought it was your post.Thinking you were new here.I'm sure you already have this stuff.
Well here they are for anyone else that may need them.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
pullinair
Elder User
With the tire off the ground, dont check wheel play using your arm strength. (unless your the hulk). With the tire off the ground, get a long crow bar under neath the tire, and then pry up and if you have a bad hub assembly, it will move. These hub assemblys and tires are just to heavy to check with arm strength.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mybigredford
thanks i will go out tommorow and check for play again, allthough i am sure there wasnt any, so if there isnt any should be good to go, but possibly lube up the needle bearings one of these days like previously stated by another member right??
you try to lock your hubs in 4x4...

Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 AM
RussB
Posting Guru
yes.. to check the needle bearing.... I would put it in 4WD and see if the noise goes away or changes.. if it does.. that probably what it is !!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 AM
mybigredford
Elder User

i havent locked the hubs in manually

yes.. to check the needle bearing.... I would put it in 4WD and see if the noise goes away or changes.. if it does.. that probably what it is !!
i have put it in 4WD (allthough not manually lock the hubs, only auto) and the noise seems to be the same, so possibly nothing is wrong or my actual bearing is gone? i still want to check it with the crow bar like previously mentioned, going to do that this evening after work

Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clint, are you sure your hubs are locking in AUTO? Try locking them in auto and turn your wheel hard to one side and go slow to see if the front is binding up. If they don't bind up, turn the **** to lock them and try again. With the AUTO hubs you never know they are not working untill you need them.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 PM
dryfly
Elder User
Yes good point Rick,I would put it in manual lock just to be sure they are locked in and then try it.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dryfly
Yes good point Rick,I would put it in manual lock just to be sure they are locked in and then try it.
Good point guys.. he may have a hub issue... I found that my noise went away just by having the hubs turned in manually... didn't have to have the switch turned to 4WD inside the cab... !!!

Good catch Rick !

Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
LEFTYSTAR

I need your email.

says you are viewing this thread.

ed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do i check wheel bearings