1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

A bit of a Rant Engine Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:36 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A bit of a Rant Engine Paint

As some of know I recently started my engine assembly.
Well most of my engine will be color matched to my truck (dark charcoal metallic)
So I decided to paint my cast aluminum parts with Dupli-Color engine enamel the bright aluminum color. I followed the instruction to the "T" even used their engine primer as they recommend, waited the few week cure time before starting to mask off the parts to paint the rest of the engine. Well, while masking and moving the tape I found that the top coat was lifting right off with the tape leaving the primer. (painters tape) (@!!###@!!) The main part is the timing cover, not good, kinda hard to scuff it up and repaint now that its on the engine.
OK, I feel better now !

Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear ya, Mike! The shop that built my 351C painted it Old Ford Blue. Looks great, except where it has peeled from the pan. And it isn't even installed yet!!! "Engine Paint" must mean "doesn't stick".

A buddy of mine had Art Chrisman build him a blown BBC. The block was smoothed off all over, then painted with a bright Chevy Orange epoxy. Bulletproof and gorgeous (but very pricey). Hard to get that quality out of a rattle can.

Maybe you could just cover all the front with a polished billet serpentine setup. Nobody would be able to see the timing cover.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Maybe you could just cover all the front with a polished billet serpentine setup. Nobody would be able to see the timing cover.
Well it is a serpentine system, not billet, but one off a newer 302. BUT.... maybe time to sweet talk my finance director (wife) into something like that.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by mt54
Well it is a serpentine system, not billet, but one off a newer 302. BUT.... maybe time to sweet talk my finance director (wife) into something like that.

No problem, do what I do and just buy her something outrageously expensive for the house first.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Off topic perhaps, but I thought I'd share this story. A friend's wife was having a 79 CJ7 being built for her. She wanted it painted pink. He said no way, and only agreed to the inside of the glove box to be pink. They compromised and had the 350sbc painted pink. 50's Caddy pink to be exact, and I sprayed it with DuPont omni. It stuck just fine with a bunch of maroon scrubby rubbing after a thorough cleaning and self-etch primer. The pink turned brown next to the headers due to the heat, but for the most part it stayed pink. We all agreed not to do that again, lol.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt54
.....I decided to paint my cast aluminum parts with Dupli-Color engine enamel the bright aluminum color......
Dupli-Color need I say more.....I hate the stuff.....won't use it.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Plasti Kote is the BEST!! It will paint over oil and grease and stick!! (not really) but if you do just a half way decent job, with it Plasti Kote is the BEST engine paint Bar None!! I wont use anything else!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree plastic coat is good stuff. I never liked aluminum paint anyway. I have done many engines and some inside the car and never had problems. I did with por 15 engine paint. I bought the yellow for my yblock and it was gelly before I opened the can. CRAP!! I do however like their other products. I painted my bro-in laws corvette engine with deltron and it is still nice.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, now you guys are makin me nervous..

We didn't use engine paint, but did have a baked clean block, heads and new front parts. My painter is really picky about this stuff, so he has cleaned & prepped this every way from sunday..

Hoping for no discoloration..

Sam

Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
up date on my Engine Paint, I decided to paint the timing cover to match the bolck and heads... after a few hours of very stessful sanding it was ready.
Randy, you were right, with the serpintine syatem you can't see much of anyway.
I used a base coat clear coat
some pics

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...185041&width=2
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...185042&width=2
more pics in my grill/ front end gallery

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out
RANT OVER

Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!! (toast of Coca Cola) You have one fine looking engine!!! Let me know how you like your DUI ignition setup. I seen it in the pic!! That thing is going to look cool in your truck

Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!! (toast of Coca Cola) You have one fine looking engine!!! Let me know how you like your DUI ignition setup. I seen it in the pic!! That thing is going to look cool in your truck
You talkin to me?

If so, I liked the DUI/HEI setup, easy.. but BIG.. and got in the way of the new manifold.. SO, I am changing to a 1 wire electronic distro, with external coil.

Sam