Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Senior User

CruiserClass is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Pourable liquid shortening for bio-diesel?

I, along with two other guys, are setting up a bio-diesel process. The three of us are sharing set up costs, labor, etc and then fuel are diesel trucks. I'm driving a 1999 F-250 with the 7.3 Liter, the other two drive Dodge Rams of about the same year with the Cummins.

Anyway, a local fish resteraunt has all the WVO we'll need and is willing to give it to us, but the potential problem is what they use isn't labeled as oil. It's "Creamy pourable shortening" and is liquid at room temperature.

Canola Harvest® - Products | Food Service

This link is for a different brand but the same thing.

Can you use this to make bio-diesel at home just like you would regular veggie oil?
Old 04-11-2008, 10:29 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Yes it will work just fine, but will have a slightly higher cloud point than Canola oil.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Senior User

misnomer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Depending on where you live, if you have cold weather you may find that you want to mix it to BD50 in the winter months. But if it is clear and liquid at room temp when you process it into BD the cloud point will drop 10-20 degrees. People have made BD from pure lard locally and in our hot summers it worked fine but once the temp dropped below 65F their truck started acting like it was starving for fuel when under a heavy load. They mixed it with some diesel and it ran fine, they could have also recirculated their return line fuel which just came from the engine thus is warm, or heat the fuel pickup then run it yearound.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Junior User

motoman97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That was just the answer I was looking for as I stopped in a truck stop to ask about their oil. They told me to come and get all i wanted. Show me the kitchen to check out oil. It said on the bottles creamy pourable . I was hoping that it was good.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior User

TchTchr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ditto to above. Make sure to test for caustic fryer cleaners. Fill two liter bottle 1/2 full with oil, another 1/4 with water, cap and shake vigorously. If foaming occurs, there is lye present (not good for engine components). Also, look for thin white streams when emptying jugs - this is fish oil which can clog filters. Have fun and welcome to renewable fuels!

Vehicles:

2001 F-250 CC - Vegistroke, many performance goodies - scary fast off the line

1981 Mercedes 300TDT - greasecar conversion, what a highway cruiser!

1963 Chevy II - bone stock - restored (by me), my grandpa bought new, my first car (1980) - my baby
Old 04-12-2008, 06:03 PM