Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you done to your truck today?

Old 01-03-2015, 01:13 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
My last Motorcraft battery was dropped in early 2005, I changed it mid 2011 (6 years plus!). It still started the truck but it was getting weak; 3 songs on the radio with the key on/engine off and it needed a jump. Now my Napa battery is weak already roughly 3.5 years later.. I think I know what I'm buying next.
They really are good batteries. I was a GM tech most of my life and if you got 2 years from a Delco battery it was considered exceptional.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 PM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 77_F150_4x4
Swapped 02 ranger steering wheel, 99 econoline multifunction switch and the switches key from ranger.
Put my 2nd Redhead steering box in.
9.75" rear end swap in, waiting for my brake brackets to come in.

Need; find exhaust shop to mandrel bend bend exhaust for the 400 sitting in the other chassis.
Order rest of parts to go through and rebuild bw1356.
have E4OD built to go behind 400.

Curtis

Can you go into more detail in all these?!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
77_F150_4x4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, I got sick of the horn location of the air bag wheel, so my other cab I got rid of for my ranger on a F150 frame I kept the steering wheel, ignition and door locks. Swapping was straight forward with the clock spring had to add 2 wires into the pig tail plug so no wires were cut, a power and ground for the lighted cruise control switches.

I bought a Econoline multi function switch to accommodate the smaller size of the ranger steering wheel and the as newer ones did use a raised lever so if the left turn signal is activated moving my left leg no longer cancels out the indicator. Caution this turned into a disassemble and reassemble of the switch and only swapping the arm due to extra pins. Seems intimidating but its not.

The 9.75 swap, I started a thread on this but not much interest came about from it. The E150 runs the same bolt pattern as our trucks slightly wider cut perches weld new ones on and 1 1/2" shorter drive shaft and thats it. My X cab short bed 351 E4OD took a std cab long bed 5.0 4R70 drive shaft but I bet the next gen trucks with same combo would work. I skimped I went with my junk GM calipered brake set up with goat truck rotors.

I bought my BW1356 bearing and seal kit need to get other parts so I can pull it drain it and make it fresh again.

The R150(01 ranger body on a F150 frame) currently has my 400 in the rolling chassis I wanted to test fire it with a carb ensure everything is good before it makes its way into the 96 and after hearing I should be afraid of it. I want to take the chassis to a exhaust shop with stainless pipe and have them mandrel bend drivers side up over crossmember and under tcase to a ball cup at a Y pipe same with passenger side so if I ever have to once it is in the 96 pull it part it will be easy and it will be done. Drop engine and trans in 96 exhaust goes on and truck then can be taken to run on a dyno for tuning.

The E4OD is what I am thinking I may have built and run for the 400 but I am also considering now that there are stand alone tuners for GM 6L90 and 80 transmissions I want more than 4 gears since I can't do it with a ford I can always adapt a GM trans to my blue oval.

Hope that clears it up.
Curtis

Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 AM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 77_F150_4x4
Sure, I got sick of the horn location of the air bag wheel, so my other cab I got rid of for my ranger on a F150 frame I kept the steering wheel, ignition and door locks. Swapping was straight forward with the clock spring had to add 2 wires into the pig tail plug so no wires were cut, a power and ground for the lighted cruise control switches.

I bought a Econoline multi function switch to accommodate the smaller size of the ranger steering wheel and the as newer ones did use a raised lever so if the left turn signal is activated moving my left leg no longer cancels out the indicator. Caution this turned into a disassemble and reassemble of the switch and only swapping the arm due to extra pins. Seems intimidating but its not.

The 9.75 swap, I started a thread on this but not much interest came about from it. The E150 runs the same bolt pattern as our trucks slightly wider cut perches weld new ones on and 1 1/2" shorter drive shaft and thats it. My X cab short bed 351 E4OD took a std cab long bed 5.0 4R70 drive shaft but I bet the next gen trucks with same combo would work. I skimped I went with my junk GM calipered brake set up with goat truck rotors.

I bought my BW1356 bearing and seal kit need to get other parts so I can pull it drain it and make it fresh again.

The R150(01 ranger body on a F150 frame) currently has my 400 in the rolling chassis I wanted to test fire it with a carb ensure everything is good before it makes its way into the 96 and after hearing I should be afraid of it. I want to take the chassis to a exhaust shop with stainless pipe and have them mandrel bend drivers side up over crossmember and under tcase to a ball cup at a Y pipe same with passenger side so if I ever have to once it is in the 96 pull it part it will be easy and it will be done. Drop engine and trans in 96 exhaust goes on and truck then can be taken to run on a dyno for tuning.

The E4OD is what I am thinking I may have built and run for the 400 but I am also considering now that there are stand alone tuners for GM 6L90 and 80 transmissions I want more than 4 gears since I can't do it with a ford I can always adapt a GM trans to my blue oval.

Hope that clears it up.
Curtis
Thank you that's awesome!! I was thinking about doing the e150 multifunction switch for the same reason you did. And the Rearend idea too

Old 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ponykilr
For the last few years we have only bought the genuine Ford 3 year replacement batteries. They are less than $130 at your Ford parts dept., great warranty and makes me smile when I open the hood because they say "Ford" on them. They have held up fantastically and I won't buy anything else now. Father in law had one last over 7 years and that is money well spent.
OTH, when I bought my van the battery I it was shot so the dealer installed a new Ford battery. It lasted two years and a month. So far I'm on three years for the middle of the road Napa branded replacement. Who knows, maybe it all comes down to the luck of the draw.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:38 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Built a couple of headlight relay boxes. The big giant red wire is going to get changed. I don't like the way it looks.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:54 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Island Time
OTH, when I bought my van the battery I it was shot so the dealer installed a new Ford battery. It lasted two years and a month. So far I'm on three years for the middle of the road Napa branded replacement. Who knows, maybe it all comes down to the luck of the draw.
You can get a lemon in anything. Was this the economy battery or their best like I recommend? We have about 10 in different vehicles in my extended family and all have been very good. The old Die Hard batteries were like that, their Gold was great, the cheap one was just....cheap LOL

Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by eakermeld
Built a couple of headlight relay boxes. The big giant red wire is going to get changed. I don't like the way it looks.
Also way overkill size wise. Just make it the same size as the High/Low out wires.

Nice looking work though. It's refreshing to see somebody do something that actual has things labelled. Imagine that!

What's the source for the boxes? They look pretty handy.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by ponykilr
You can get a lemon in anything. Was this the economy battery or their best like I recommend?
The dealer was putting in a battery so they could sell the vehicle. I didn't pay for it. I'll let you guess what battery they put in.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Island Time
Also way overkill size wise. Just make it the same size as the High/Low out wires.

Nice looking work though. It's refreshing to see somebody do something that actual has things labelled. Imagine that!

What's the source for the boxes? They look pretty handy.
Yea, I thought 12GA wire would be plenty big too, but my buddy was there and he said "Oh no! You don't want anything that small for the main power. Here, use this!" so I did just to quiet him down. He will be gone tomorrow and so will those monstrously oversize main power wires!

Those boxes are junction boxes for trailer wiring. I use them for everything. They have holes with grommets coming out of all sides and are color labeled, but with a dab of your own paint on the end of the screws, they can be whatever color you want.

Wiring Junction Box Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com

They have ones that you can put circuit breakers in and some with up to 10 terminals.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Sweet. Thanks for the link.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:52 PM
OFLM
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Molded Running Boards

Took these off, now what do I do?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Got my disc with the factory manuals in the mail yesterday. Now I just need some nice weather and I can get started chasing down some issues on the '87.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OFLM
Took these off, now what do I do?
Throw them in the trash

After all the rust pictures I see here it makes me even more happy that I live in and love the South.

Look for some on Ebay or maybe remake them in small angle or square tube. Those are getting rare I found out in the Brazil thread.

Gonna put in a 180* thermostat tomorrow then bump my ignition timing back up 2* in my F350 7.5.

Gonna help my daughter remove the seat from her 96 F150 4x4 short bed and wash it with purple power and some pressure washer help. It is perfect with no tears or wear but has a few food stains. Then we are planning to clean up the inside and get it ready to be driven some. We just got it about a month ago but due to weather and holiday stuff we really haven't even touched it. It's a 300 5spd truck and was adult owned and unmolested (not to mention rust free). The paint needs buffing but it is all there and no dents or scratches other than in the bed. Glad I have a country girl daughter.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:18 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Started rigging the 89 F250 up to be a water hauler. Not sure how long it will be doing it but for now that is going to be the main purpose of the truck. Got a 250gallon water tank on the bed, setting up a water pump in one of the tool boxes on the flatbed, and running a hose to keep it in their yet disconnect easy enough that we can pull the water tank out if wanted.

Dad had to run to town to get a couple more fittings to get everything right.

On the 90 F150 checked all the fluids coolant was a little low but everything else in tip top shape. Guess those FEL-PRO valve cover gaskets are working like a charm.
Trav

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?