Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:26 AM
emharris1765
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i blew it up

I added seafiam to fuel tank then filled it drove it for atleast half n hour interstate and now it won't start buzzes really loud and drains battery if I try to start it

Old 11-27-2014, 05:54 AM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by emharris1765
I added seafiam to fuel tank then filled it drove it for atleast half n hour interstate and now it won't start buzzes really loud and drains battery if I try to start it
At the very least it has a bad starter solenoid, which is a common failure on Ford trucks. Check the resistance on both battery cables while you're changing the solenoid.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:24 AM
bcboy4ca
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I installed a set of Lakewood 21715 traction bars (slapper bars), bye bye wheel hop, hello fun

Old 11-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Jeramyb
Freshman User
new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel,slave cylinder, new hardware, and changed the fluid in trans

Old 11-27-2014, 03:13 PM
jthorngate3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
At the very least it has a bad starter solenoid, which is a common failure on Ford trucks. Check the resistance on both battery cables while you're changing the solenoid.
I would definitely start there as well. Notorious for going out with minimal, or no warning. Could be just bad timing for you.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:24 AM
rock15t
Tuned
Used it to pick up 2100 lbs. of hardwood floor , 2 hours away. 13.73 mpg on the way down. 14 mpg on the way back. Guess I took it a little easier on the way home.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Swapped out my old oil pan and gasket for brand news ones. Anyone doing this on a 4.9l , i would strongly suggest a engine hoist. Was a complete fiasco with just hand tools on the driveway and a jack.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xrsfsho
Swapped out my old oil pan and gasket for brand news ones. Anyone doing this on a 4.9l , i would strongly suggest a engine hoist. Was a complete fiasco with just hand tools on the driveway and a jack.
bout the same with any of the motors in these trucks. Royal pain in the ***

Old 11-28-2014, 09:26 PM
87-XL-Squared
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spent six hours yesterday having the time of my life: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-lost-tps.html
I say that with a smile on my face, every minute spent learning is actually fun for me. It's not a daily driver and that takes all the pressure off. Plus I'm off work and the sun is shining and I'm working on my truck. Who could ask for anything more???

Today prepped it to go to the body shop. Removed the tool box, tailgate trim, disconnected the trailer plug so they could remove the bumper. See it in three weeks with a fresh body. Been saving up for a year, long time coming.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:02 PM
87-XL-Squared
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 87-XL-Squared
Last weekend I bought a '91 XLT Lariat 4x4 shortbed with only 71,000 miles on it. 5.8 liter, E4OD, 3:55 gears (open). The original owner was an old man and when he died his wife put it in the garage for 10 years. She cranked it and drove it once a month for the 10 years it was stored. Then the nephew bought it from her and has owned it for the last two years. He wanted to move up to a diesel so put the truck up for sale. I drove 150 miles to look at it, paid cash on the spot and drove it home. Truck did the trip effortlessly with the cruise control on and the A/C blasting.

The nephew hauled firewood in it enough the tailgate is a little rough and the bed is scratched with surface rust but it's in great shape otherwise. 4x4 works good with the original automatic locking hubs.

Tonight I finally got a chance to work on it & changed the oil. I'll be making improvements on this truck for the next couple of years. This is my "keeper". It still has the original belts & hoses, the radiator fluid is bright green & the coolant recovery tank is clean as a whistle. I keep waiting for something to be "too good to be true", but haven't found it yet.
That's from this thread on 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM, Blast from the past, truck went to paint shop today. Has some intermittent code issues but overall is a solid truck. Since then I've done quite a bit to it.

Guess where I found this post? I did a Google Images search for "1991 ford f150 xlt lariat" and my signature picture was halfway down on the results, pointing back to the post I did in October of 2013. Pretty wild! I'm looking forward to getting it back from paint and body. Long time coming.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Well of course. SO this may be a little long here.

At my school there are about 4-5 pairs of parking spots that are extremely narrow. One is about 4 feet wide and the other is about 5 feet wide. When they went though and widened all the spots a year ago these few spots popped up due to them running out of room and had to make these narrow spots I guess. First thought would be that they are motorcycle parking, but that is not the case. Motorcycles have a specific area that they must park in. Parking enforcement is fully aware of how ridiculous these spots are so they let people use both for one vehicle without fining them. One of these is right out in front of the automotive department building.

I happened to roll into the parking lot this morning to find the closest open spot(s) were indeed the narrow pair. So I went ahead and parked in them, getting as close to the line as possible on one side as to humor someone that may want to squeeze their smart car in there. That's about the only car that could fit after parking my truck. It sat in that spot from 6:15am to 1:30pm with no issues. Parking enforcement drive by it at least 5 times so if they were going to anything about it, they would have.

Well when I came out of class I did as I always do. Started the truck up, rolled a window down and let it warm up for a few minutes. Almost all of the automotive student's do this everyday and nobody minds it. Well I found the one lady that did. As I shut the door she starts to yell at me telling me to move my truck over so she could fit into one of the spots. I tell her even If I could move it she still wouldn't fit in the spot. I told her I was letting it warm up before I hop on the freeway to go home. Well, she didn't like that answer. She first tries to squeeze her Scion TC into the spot that a smart probably couldn't fit in. It didn't take her long to realize that wasn't going to work. What's she do next? Tries to teach me a lesson. That's what she does. She parks her car across the front of my truck blocking me in, then get's out and goes into the school telling me "You'll leave when I do then...". Less than 15 seconds after she enters the building the almighty Parking Enforcement rolls by. This is a case of instant karma if I've ever seen one. Me and a class mate flag him over and explain what happened. So what does he do? Write me up for taking two spots? Nope. He proceeds to write her up for multiple violations.

As he's filling it all out she comes running out of the building to try and blame me for it because I was in two spots and that she asked me to move and that I told her to "F" off. Here's the best part. He walks her to the side of my truck that was right up to the line then ask's her where she thought I was supposed to move my truck over too? Then she tries getting me busted for taking two spots... To the point that she was yelling at the officer. Unfortunately for her, I had about 15 witness' that all backed me up saying she was being irrational and rude.

After about 10 minutes of arguing and yelling with the officer, she gets back in her car and finally leaves, but not before getting herself a nice big parking violation. The violation's you ask? Blocking the pathway of a motor vehicle, illegal parking across parking spots and parking with no parking pass. $155. As for me? A hand shake from the officer. That really taught me a lesson didn't it?
I love hearing stories like this. lol.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Shadow944795
Posting Guru
Finnaly fixed the dome light in my truck, instead of putting some normal bulb in there I deiced to be a little different and put a blue led up there, may change out the two reading lights as well and put blues in there if I can find some, makes the truck look cool in my books, all I need now is the plastic cover for it that i ordered on ebay and it'll look decent again.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:11 PM
cjcocn
More Turbo

Managed to get my y-pipe disconnected from my exhaust manifold without breaking any of the studs. BUT, the studs are in rough shape and the nuts are in worse shape so I am changing them out.

In this town that means ordering them on Monday and getting them on Tuesday. Oh well, it should go quickly after that.

For now I will remove the other 3 studs and maybe dry-fit the exhaust so that on Tuesday I can just bolt up the y-pipe and call it done.

Working outside and will be in the dark on Tuesday after work so the more I get done today the better it will be.

Looking forward to driving it again after this little bit of work. My 2013 has a bad blender door actuator and I have to pull the dash to change it. Probably two evenings to finish that job so I will need my '92 to get around in.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:51 PM
SouthernBlues
More Turbo
Wired my Led Driving Lights and Ridged Lights back up

Old 11-29-2014, 03:58 PM
zackcj7
Senior User
I have been off of work all week working around the house getting the house ready to sell. I have driven the truck every day doing errands and hauling stuff. This is the most I have ever driven it. It's really growing on me. I'm starting to like driving it more than my Jeep...

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?