How many running b100 in 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 PM
bradyracing
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambomb
i can't believe that there are this few people running biodiesel in a 6.0l on this forum. what do you guys think is the reason? availability? warranty? uneducated?
You are assuming that the folks running b100 in p'strokes know of this site or this thread. In reality most folks running b100 in p'strokes have never heard of the FTE. Above, I was talking about my truck. Actually, I supply b100 for four p'strokes, an 04, an 05, and two 07's. Along with, a Dmax, a Jeep Liberty, Cummins engines big and small, Yanmars, Listers, John Deere power units and tractors, ex-military trucks, and Beckett burners.
Of the four p'strokes we have running it, I'm the only one posting because the others haven't heard of this site or don't care.........

Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 PM
bradyracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
A significant percentage is availability, with the rest going to warranty.

Retailers with QUALITY biofuel are pretty few and far between. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, the biofuel retailers are in either downtown Dallas, or downtown Fort Worth; it's a 60-mile round trip to get biofuel for me (of ANY kind, much less quality) when non-biofuel is 4 blocks away -- and one of the cheaper stations in the area, to boot. (As a matter of record, if I were in Austin, I'd buy it a lot more; there, you're never more than 5 miles from a bio-retailer, usually B20.)

Running anything but QUALITY fuel in a 6.0 hits a little too close to home on an already skittish warranty policy from Ford. Ford endorses no more than B5, and that concentration is too low for it to be worth the effort for most retailers.

As the 6.0 platform ages a little more (i.e. running out of warranty), you'll see more people using it.

Part of the problem, too, is that there are still too many people who equate "biodiesel" to running old french-fry oil. This is what kills it for a lot of folks, Ford Corporate included. There *IS* a difference between WVO and commercially-prepared, properly blended, and taxed, biodiesel, and THAT's a perception problem that'll take a LONG time to fix.

-blaine
Yes, there is a difference between Wvo and biodiesel. One is WVO and the other is biodiesel. They are different.
"Commercially prepared" and the fact that it is "taxed" absolutely DOES NOT make it ASTM D 6751 biodiesel.
I'd rather buy wine from a small mom and pop producer, with a whole lot of hands on preparation and quality controls than Maddog 20/20 from something that was "commercially produced".

Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
I have been running my 04 on b100 since the day I bought it and havent had problem one! If you start using it in a vehicle that has a few miles on it, keep a spare fuel filter with you. Soy diesel is naturally high in detergent and will totally clean your fuel system, putting all the dirt in your filter. I also run it in my over the road trucks with no problems.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 PM
bradyracing
Senior User
Originally Posted by Karl Keicher
I have been running my 04 on b100 since the day I bought it and havent had problem one! If you start using it in a vehicle that has a few miles on it, keep a spare fuel filter with you. Soy diesel is naturally high in detergent and will totally clean your fuel system, putting all the dirt in your filter. I also run it in my over the road trucks with no problems.
How many miles does your 04 have on it since running b100?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
Right around 40000. Most of those are towing and or loaded. I bought the truck 2 years ago and started using b100 right off because it is available locally. I have noticed the injectors and egr are cleaning themselves, and the response from the stock turbo is noticabley improved from when I bought it. I also have not had the cat problems that I had with my last one.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:55 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bradyracing
You are assuming that the folks running b100 in p'strokes know of this site or this thread. In reality most folks running b100 in p'strokes have never heard of the FTE. Above, I was talking about my truck. Actually, I supply b100 for four p'strokes, an 04, an 05, and two 07's. Along with, a Dmax, a Jeep Liberty, Cummins engines big and small, Yanmars, Listers, John Deere power units and tractors, ex-military trucks, and Beckett burners.
Of the four p'strokes we have running it, I'm the only one posting because the others haven't heard of this site or don't care.........
FWIW i am not assuming anything. obviously most "folks" running b100 haven't heard of FTE. i was only wondering why, of the people on FTE 6.0l forum, don't use bio? no hard feelings at all but i personally don't think this post was helpful