Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ricer Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Ricer Surprise

This is an issue I'm neither highly experienced with nor frequently exposed to, but this morning I gave a guy a little surprise, and I know that some of you might enjoy hearing about it.

Keep in mind that my truck is nearly stock - I do have something either flashed or some kind of weenie chip in it, though, because I've had the truck over 115 mph on the interstate once or twice seeing what it would do when no one was around (looking around sheepishly to see if Mike is reading this over my shoulder). I've just never taken the time to dig into it to see what I have, and am not too worried about finding out until I get ready to order from Jody.

Anyway, I pull up to a light at 5:45am next to a not too old Honda Accord with dual exhaust. The ligh turns green and I want to just sort of shove up ahead of the Honda to get first dibs in the on-ramp to the interstate, but I notice in my side mirror a slight puff of dust behind the Honda and I know that he doesn't WANT me to get ahead of him.... I tromp the pedal and we're accelerating pretty fast, but the on-ramp (lovingly called the "flyover" here locally) incorporates a rather gentle curve that easily handles 70-80 mph when you're careful.

As we get into the beginning of the curve, I'm pushing past 85 and feel that it would be better to back off a tad, the whole time being a good truck length in front of this guy. He obviously got pissed that my big white crewcab diesel was getting teh better of him, so he took advantage (rightfully so) of his own low-slung styling and my easing up a hair to get past me right as the two lanes became one. Once he's past, the road gets perfectly straight and I push into it again, staying right on his tail until I notice a couple of seconds later that the needle was getting ready to start eating tripple digits... so I remembered Mike and decided to get back to normal. (For those of you who may not know Mike, he's one of our faithful members who also just happens to be a state trooper).

He got the better of me, but I don't feel too bad about it at all. I was proud of the way my near stocker ran the short gauntlet with this guy.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job Pete. He will probably go and brag to his friends, not telling them that you had him and let off of the throttle.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Hmmm...not sure I'd have let him past...yeah, I would. That would have been stupid not too. Glad to hear you kept a level head, but you definitely did get the better of him!! Congrats!!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:59 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
thats right keep those ricers in check, big trucks can move too!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 AM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Its good for em, builds character.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Way to go dude. I love beating small cars with big egoes

Old 04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Way to go dude. I love beating small cars with big egoes
I wonder if ricers get little man syndrome when they come up next to a superduty?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Planeoldguy
Junior User
They get little____ syndrome when next to something twice as big....

Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 AM
pullinair
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250_

He got the better of me, but I don't feel too bad about it at all. I was proud of the way my near stocker ran the short gauntlet with this guy.
Not trying to over annaylyze the situation, but you could have an non adjustable 80, 60, 40hp chip or flash on your PCM and not even know it. So I would say your truck is not quite stock. Are you running guages?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

A ricer wishes to have dual exhaust! They try to look the part of a muscle car with those splitters right before the tailpipe. I tink they learned that from mid eighties Camar-slos!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Tim... I hear ya. I sort of doubt that a chip is really in there, but it could be. When I got the truck, it was otherwise completely bone stock, and my suspicion is that the PO simply had a tuner flash into the PCM. one day I'm going to dig a little further, though. And no... no gauges installed yet.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
pullinair
Elder User
Originally Posted by F250_
Tim... I hear ya. I sort of doubt that a chip is really in there, but it could be. When I got the truck, it was otherwise completely bone stock, and my suspicion is that the PO simply had a tuner flash into the PCM. one day I'm going to dig a little further, though. And no... no gauges installed yet.
Ok, just be on the safe side until you can moniter exhaust temps.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:22 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeoldguy
They get little____ syndrome when next to something twice as big....
Yeah and Pete made him eat a BOWL of them.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Kevinpmac
Senior User
Great story.

It should get only better with a DP-Tuner. I was in the left lane at a stop light when a tricked out ricer came up in the right lane next to me. I reached over to my F5 and clicked it to 120 race. Light turned green and away we went. I easily pulled past him and saw nothing but black smoke covering his car as it faded in my mirror. Another schooled ricer...

Old 04-10-2008, 02:34 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was actually on my way to go race last summer and had gotten on the truck a little to get out into traffic well with 5" straight pipe you can hear the turbo so this little turbo charged something or other ricers passes me, then pulls up at the next light reving his engine and signing he wanted to race. I did the same thing click up to the 140 extreme smoke tune and at the green light had to pedal it a little to keep from just boiling the tires off (didn't have the hubs locked in) anyway about the time my truck hit second and was hooked up good I really hit the throttle and looked back as I realized my tailpipe was pointed right at his open drivers window... next light he was wiping his eyes and just waved, his buddy riding with him was laughing so hard he was almost crying and smacking the driver in the shoulder it was great..
Oh and they showed up at the track too, it was a T&T night and he wouldn't even line up next to me hhehe I love it when you can do that to a ricer

Quick Reply: Ricer Surprise