Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 AM
New User

frustratedfordwife is starting off with a positive reputation.
1995 Ford Explorer Limited Stereo JBL system

Radio was intermittenly going haywire, started a few years ago, unplugged battery (suggestion found here on forum, thanks!) and it actually fixed it. But Recently, the on/off button would not turn off, no biggy i could live with it, but now it won't work at all. Replaced battery, unplugged it, nothing. So husband said that CarToys wants $300 to REWIRE the thing? then a cheap stereo for another $100. The car probably isn't worth that much.:-X18 LOL..Doesn't that sound crazy?:confused: Something about being a RARE stereo system that went into the limted edition explorers, being wired into everything and into the antenna? I do know the back hookups are different than the ones we see on ebay, so I would like to know if this is true, does anyone know? :-huh Or have any suggestions. thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Postmaster

CobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to behold
Are you having problems not turning it on/off and with the volume, or is the entire thing (sound, cuts in and out, etc) going nuts?

My mother's vehicle had the same thing happen with the on/off/volume switch. I had a spare Ford radio, so I swapped it out. I then sent her radio to Speedometer Service in Atlanta and they put a new **** in the radio (they do Ford's warranty and service work (or use to back then). Basically, the **** just wore out.

If you are having problems just turning it on and off and with volume, its just the **** in the radio. It's NOT a wiring issue with the Explorer. That is just a shop trying to make a buck when the problem is not the truck.

If you are just looking for a factory stereo to work, I would just look around for another oem head unit. You can call Speedometer Service and they have plenty or even ebay has them. Most of the time though, you can just get an aftermarket head unit and install it for what an oem radio would be. Even with the JBL system, you can buy all the wiring harnesses to hook to the aftermarket radio and they will plug directly into the factory harnesses.

95, 96, and 97's - Most had the same plug, but I have seen many of them with different plugs for the oem radio, especially with the JBL system. If you can take a pic of the back of your radio and put it in your FTE gallery, I can look and help you either find a oem radio, or tell you what wrining harnesses you will need.

When you can't buy what you want, build what you want.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
New User

stereo pictures

Thanks for your responce and help, i so appreciate it. I took a pic of the back of the radio and the wires coming from the explorer. Thanks!!
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
New User

I think my spouse looked at the ****, he has the thing apart, he is just giving up and taking Car Toys at face value. Me personally, i am not willing to give Car Toys $300 to rewire my car. That's just silly. As far as OEM, is that like factory stock radio? Is that all you mean by OEM? Sorry, if that's a silly question.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Postmaster

CobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to beholdCobraXP is a splendid one to behold
Yep... standard plugs. Easily found.

Yes, OEM means factory equipment. I will look around and see what I can find for a factory radio and post for you.

To put an aftermarket radio in the place of the factory, it should only cost you the price of the radio, around $15 for the wiring harness, and about $15-20 for a mounting kit. It is a simple install that you can do at home (you are half-way there if you have the factory one out), but a shop should only charge $25-$30 at most to install for you. The wiring harness connects to the aftermarket radio wiring and allows you to plug it directly in the factory wiring in the dash. This way you are not chopping up the wiring of the Explorer.

If the **** is all that is wrong, I would go the aftermarket route myself. Most of the time, you can find a quality aftermarket radio for the same price as a factory radio would cost you.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Elder User

bgalaxy67 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here's the wire harness you will need for the JBL System. It's a tad different then the other ford systems, buy easily changeable to an aftermarket deck.

PAC AMP-FRD1 - Use This Cable to Replace a Factory Ford Prem. Sound or JBL Radio (89'-up) with a Higher Feature After Market Radio / CD / Cassette - , Car Installation & Accessories, Receiver Installation, Wiring Harnesses - Sonic Electronix

$300 To rewire sounds like they are going to by pass the factory amp. It's not too terrible of a price if it's done right. It's a little high considering that your husband already figured out how to pull the deck so replacing wire, changing speakers and changing out the deck are all in the same skill level . you could save that money and apply it to a nicer deck and new door speakers
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/69...reo-build.html
Old 04-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Postmaster

Yeah, $300 would not be bad if you were changing to amps, subs, rerunning wire to doors, etc. But just for doing a head unit swap and utilizing all other factory components - that shop is trying to take advantage of inexperience. It is no more than an hour job changing the head unit for someone with little experience, faster for someone with experience.

(Thanks for the link to the harness BTW... )

Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
New User

Thanks everyone for the help!!
I called the Ford Dealership, suprisingly they knew nothing, nor did they have any service people there who could help. He did however, give me the name and number of thier audio outsource guy. Whom i called. He explained that this model has a system that runs throughout the whole car and the amps are in the rear of the car. He did say there was an adapter, but it would not solve the speaker issue, without the amp, there would be no sound. And if for sure would lose my JBL CD player. There is some work that has to be done to connect the Amp to the aftermarket stereo. Although, his quote was $275, which included the stereo.
I still think this is a bit steep, so i looked on ebay again for a stock stereo and have found one. The aution ends tomorrow and i'm being outbid currently. But if i can get this stereo, is it simply a plug in and its done. Or is there something about theft codes, i read in one of the auctions, that i need to be concerned with.
If i can just plug it in and be done, i would be much happier, if all else fails i will pay the $275.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics

Tags
1995, 2003, car, explore, explorer, f150, ford, harness, jbl, limited, oem, radio, rewire, stereo, system, wrining