2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob ?'s, Flame suit on.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
DriftinZ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob ?'s, Flame suit on.....

Hey Everyone, looking for alittle help. I am use to Forums cause usually every vehical I've owned I'll search out a good forum to join. Love reading other people stories and problems they've fixed. SO I know how to the Search option, but was having alittle trouble finding what I was looking for. I'm gonna put on my Flame Suit just incase someone cries I need help with these questions.

First question is I'm really upset with a Transmission problem I'm having on my 2005 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L. I'm in the automotive field so I know a thing or two about vehicals. I know somehtings not right. Ive brought it back to the Ford dealership 2 times and once to another dealership for their opinion. Both dealerships said the famous "couldnt duplicate your problem". Which is crap. So the problem is whenever I'm driving under normal conditions, lets say I'm behind some one and they go to turn off so like anyone else would do I press the brake to slow down. As the person turns off obv the truck is at a lower speed with the trans still in a higher gear. When I give it gas to get back up to speed it seems like the tranny hesitates the downshift and when it does downshift theres a loud bang and it feels like my dash is gonna come off. It doesnt happen all the time. Usually getting on and onramp of a highway and the truck downshifts to pick up speed it makes this banging noise. Whenever it downshift from a higher gear it seems to do it. Its really annoying and Fords been no help. SO hopefully someone can help.

Second question is a Leveling Kit. Couldnt really find much on this eathier. I just wanna bring the front of the truck up alittle and do 33's or 35's. Nothing crazy cause the wife sometimes drives it and dont want her to have to use a latter to get into (not posting pics of wife LOL, get that alot in other forums, pics or ban!) the truck. I was thinking about a couple 2.5" Kits on Ebay. Are these ok? Seem simple install. Will I need anything additional? Anything to watch for? Tips or Tricks would be nice.

Third question is Spark Plugs....I'm going for it. Ive read alot how it could be a bi*ch but I'm gonna take my time next weekend while I wax the truck. Let them soak good. My truck has almost 45K on her. I know people will probley say its to early but since I didnt buy the truck brand new I'd like to know it has good plugs in her. Should I just run factory Ford plugs or does anyone reccommed anything they've had good luck with?

Forth Question..........why's my truck sound like a Diesel sometime? Really annoying. Really loud at idle sometimes when fully warmed up. Ive read it can be normal for them to be loud. Just wondering if anyone has more info cause once again Ford didnt know what I was talking about.

I have more questions but I'll let this thread settle in first, thanks for reading this and hopefully some of you can have some good info for me. Thanks again!!

Brian

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
bcrab
Senior User
The leveling question- I put a 2" Autospring kit on mine, some people like 2.5". Use 2" if you tow to keep the level look. I bought my kit off ebay for $69. Just make sure you get it realigned after install, install takes about 2 hours.

Good luck with the plugs, keep us informed on how it goes.

The noise, search for injector noise there are several threads on the noise they make.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 AM
JimTex
Senior User
There are only 3 plugs available. Motorcraft, Autolite, and the new one piece Champion. There is the Brisk, but avoid that one. I would go back with the Motorcraft or try the Champion. If you haven't do a search on them and see what has been said.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
dartguy699
Senior User
cant help you on anything but the trans--i had the same problem on my 05 and took it in to service expecting a teardown but the dealer reflashed the computer with the latest upgrade and it cured the problem so i would try that. i believe there is a tsb on this but not 100% sure on that.
jim

Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
DriftinZ
New User
Bcrab and Jim, thanks for quick posts!! I'm mainly looking to level the truck. Not towning anything crazy, usually just small stuff. (Motar Mixer, small trailers) Doesnt even test the towning limits, back of the truck doesnt even move. Cool I'll probley order the 2" Kit this weekend, will 35's look dumb and fill to much wheel well? Should I do 33's? The Champions sound like I'll look into them. I'll take pics of the Plug job next weekend. Wasnt there a recall on the Injectors? Thought I got something in the mail from Ford. I'll do a Search on it! Thanks guys!!! Keep the posts coming guys! Thanks!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:25 AM
DriftinZ
New User
Dart, cool. Will I have to pay for this reprogram now that my truck is out of warrenty? So upset about this problem, love the truck but this issue kills the fun of driving it.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by DriftinZ
Dart, cool. Will I have to pay for this reprogram now that my truck is out of warrenty? So upset about this problem, love the truck but this issue kills the fun of driving it.
Yes, but they usely charge only $80 or so. takes about 30 minutes. Or, what I would do is use that as money toward a tuner. That will solve the problem even better!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
DriftinZ
New User
Originally Posted by JimTex
Yes, but they usely charge only $80 or so. takes about 30 minutes. Or, what I would do is use that as money toward a tuner. That will solve the problem even better!
Really? Interesting. Whats a good Tuner out right now. Like the Edge one cause it comes with the cool mount trim piece. Also havent put a Intake in because I heard the 5.4 will lean out?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
3xrace
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reflash is a recall item so no charge to my knowledge. Your plugs I would leave alone They have a 100,000 mile service life. Changing them now would likely result in your pulling the engine for head work that doesn't need to be done at this point (I just broke one off in the head I'm really pissed about it). Took my time and did everything the TSB said. If they are going to break they will break there is no preventing that.
Leveling kit is super easy to do. I installed one in a buddy's truck from fat bobs garage, 2.5" kit. First side took a while because everything was binding really hard for some reason. Other side took 20 minutes between the two of us.

*edit - He also has 35" mud terrains and they look awesome.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 PM
DriftinZ
New User
Originally Posted by 3xrace
The reflash is a recall item so no charge to my knowledge. Your plugs I would leave alone They have a 100,000 mile service life. Changing them now would likely result in your pulling the engine for head work that doesn't need to be done at this point (I just broke one off in the head I'm really pissed about it). Took my time and did everything the TSB said. If they are going to break they will break there is no preventing that.
Leveling kit is super easy to do. I installed one in a buddy's truck from fat bobs garage, 2.5" kit. First side took a while because everything was binding really hard for some reason. Other side took 20 minutes between the two of us.

*edit - He also has 35" mud terrains and they look awesome.

Awesome, urgh. So scaried about this damn Spark Plug change. SO stupid LOL. Does anything still bind or hit? Does the front sit higher then the back? I dont want the bed looking like its saggin. Sick, so 35's it will be.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
3xrace
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the 2.5" it sits fairly level. The binding or more accurately the lack of came from the nuts on the ball joints and tie rod end. The ball would spin instead of the nut coming off. There was no binding issues from the leveling kit. I can see there being more stress on the upper ball joint as a result of the lifting method but nothing serious. 35's fit great but they do rub in reverse at full lock but that's about it. This is on a 04 supercrew fx4 shortbox.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
DriftinZ
New User
I just went on Ebay and EbayMotors and Searched AutoSpring, got 0 results? HELP. I wanna order this today.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
I have the 2.5" Pro-Comp kit and the truck sets nice and level, pics in gallery. When my tires wear out I'm probably going to go with 33s since I like to go to the harder to get to fishing holes and I'm afraid with 35s that would not leave much room for tire movement into the wheel well. Of course things can change and I may do the 35s

I had my plugs changed at 68K and not a single one broke, of course I had the dealership do it because I don't have the time and I'm not at all mechanical.

I can't help you with any other problems. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM
bcrab
Senior User
Here's the Autospring web page....Auto Spring Corp.

And his ebay store...eBay Seller: sprngbender: Parts Accessories, eBay Motors items on eBay.com

If he doesn't have any listed just shoot him an e-mail and I'm sure he can fix ya up.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 PM
DriftinZ
New User
Brian and Bcrab Thanks!!! I'm stuck on 2" or 2.5" Kits?

Quick Reply: Noob ?'s, Flame suit on.....