2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob ?'s, Flame suit on.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35's won't clear with the 2". I got the 2.5" Autospring lift and am super happy with it. If you don't like the rake of the truck you can always add a leaf or two to the rear. It doesn't stiffen the ride up as much as you would think.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
DriftinZ
New User
Originally Posted by 4DOORSR
35's won't clear with the 2". I got the 2.5" Autospring lift and am super happy with it. If you don't like the rake of the truck you can always add a leaf or two to the rear. It doesn't stiffen the ride up as much as you would think.

Thanks man, with the 2.5" does the front sit alittle higher then the back? I might just do 33's. Notcied in your sing you have the Volant CA and Edge, you like them? I want a loud Intake for my truck, is the Volant? The Edge looks like a nice tuner, you notice any gains? I usually run 93 in my truck just cause it seems to like it more then 87 and seem to get better mpg. I also have a Sunoco around that offers 94, would the Edge help bring out more power on a 94 octane tune?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DriftinZ
Brian and Bcrab Thanks!!! I'm stuck on 2" or 2.5" Kits?
I put the 2" on mine and got a little over 2". Still has about 1/2" rake to the truck. 2.5" could give you a "nose high" look.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
DriftinZ
New User
Originally Posted by dfishrmn88
I put the 2" on mine and got a little over 2". Still has about 1/2" rake to the truck. 2.5" could give you a "nose high" look.
Hmmm, choices choices. Hmmm anyone have any pictures with 2.5 with 33's or 35's?

Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
"2.5" could give you a "nose high" look."

I suppose it could give you a nose up stance since it seems some have had this problem but if you look in my gallery you will see my truck has a big box in the back, its called a dog box, anyway that thing ways about 100lbs and when I have my two GSDs with full equipment it weighs right around 275 lbs. and the truck measured from the top of tire to the bottom of the fender the front is still .25" down.

Anyway what I am getting at is it probably depends on a lot of different variables as to how the leveling kit will effect your truck, type of kit, how good of shape your springs/struts are in, etc.

I would say if you have the money and you really want 35s put the 2.5" kit in and if you go nose up slap in an add a leaf kit in the back and your good to go.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
DriftinZ
New User
Awesome, thanks Brian!!

Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 PM
BrianFX4
Senior User
HEy DriftinZ,
I was pretty sold on going with 33s until I saw KILD1's truck from the other thread now I'm not sure what I'm going to do!!!! If you go with 35s keep me posted as to how they fit if you don't mind.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:27 AM
DriftinZ
New User
Originally Posted by BrianFX4
HEy DriftinZ,
I was pretty sold on going with 33s until I saw KILD1's truck from the other thread now I'm not sure what I'm going to do!!!! If you go with 35s keep me posted as to how they fit if you don't mind.
Definitly bro, I am worried cause I'm going to be plowing with my 05 SC next winter. I hope with the added plow weight in the front it wont cause problems with rubbing, etc. Worst case I'll just put the stock tires back on. My goal is to be into a Turb Dez F350 by the end of the summer anyway. But thats only if I have a good work summer and make some money. Hopefully the economy turns around. But I'm definitly gonna play around with my F150 this summer. It SCREAMING for an intake and exhaust. The truck feels so restriced. Still trying to find an Intake. Everyone seems to be running the Volant. I want something loud, LOL. For exhaust I was just gonna bring it to a local exhaust shop and come off the cats 3" into a 40 series Flowmaster and back into duals behind rear tires. Dont like the under bumper look(sorry if someone has that, just personal preferance), so I hope that will be loud. I'll definitly post some pics within the next couple weeks while I'm doing these mods. Have a buddy with a dyno shop too. Might strap her on stock and then with the Intake, Exhaust and Edge. See if theres really a diference.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 3xrace
The reflash is a recall item so no charge to my knowledge.
Just because Ford has upgraded firmware does not mean there's a "recall" for it, They issue new firmware to address different areas. If your truck is under warranty, the upgrade (Reflash) will not cost you anything. If not, expect to pay a labor charge. If you are a good customer, they may do it for nothing.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 PM
JTProuhet
Junior User
i have a 04 f150 supercrew 5.4 fx4 i had the same BANG noise at the same times you explained i took to the dealership. and had my uncle work on it and he replaced the driveshaft, he said that they had alot of problems with the driveshafts on the supercrews wearing out and would make that real loud bang noise.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:34 PM
JTProuhet
Junior User
I am also wondering about these questions. i want to put a 2" or 2.5" leveling kit on my truck and wondering if 35's are going to work or wat to do. kild1's truck is bad*ss looking i want mine to look like that. Also, this is the first ford ive ever owned. is it going to have enough power to turn the 35's over if i get into mud or anything??

Old 04-12-2008, 04:55 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by dfishrmn88
Cool beans...I'll take a 1/2" rake...Stock looks cool too. I guess when I do it, and go with the 33's, it'll be the 2" kit...Probably a 1/2" less stress on the upper ball joints, also.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
whitecrystal1
Senior User
Originally Posted by DriftinZ
So the problem is whenever I'm driving under normal conditions, lets say I'm behind some one and they go to turn off so like anyone else would do I press the brake to slow down. As the person turns off obv the truck is at a lower speed with the trans still in a higher gear. When I give it gas to get back up to speed it seems like the tranny hesitates the downshift and when it does downshift theres a loud bang and it feels like my dash is gonna come off. It doesnt happen all the time. Usually getting on and onramp of a highway and the truck downshifts to pick up speed it makes this banging noise. Whenever it downshift from a higher gear it seems to do it. Its really annoying and Fords been no help. SO hopefully someone can help.
Brian
I had a very similar issue with mine, if not the same problem. There are a few tsb's that you should look at here:
05-6-21 - 05-10-12 - 06-8-2

I talked with my dealer about the tsb's and they went ahead and reflashed my pcm along with lubing the slip yoke. That only lasted about 4K miles and my problem came back. So this time I went for a ride with the mechanic that was going to fix it and showed him what it was doing. In my case I could make it do it when I would reapply throttle after slowing down from any speed in 3 gear, to speeds between 18-20mph (sometimes a little higher). I would get the clunk as it would shift down. I told him it was worse when merging into traffic sometimes but that is harder to duplicate.
He pulled my drive shaft again but this time he replaced it. So far so good The new drive shaft is aluminium no more rust

I would also like to add that I had an Edge tuner and now I have an Xcal3 with Troyer tunes, both of them seemed to make it do it worse. But not anymore since the drive shaft was replaced.

If you haven't already I would go play with your truck like I did and find the right speed range it does it in and then take the tech for a ride with you. Going up a hill may also make it do it easier, at least it did on mine.

Good luck with it!

Originally Posted by JimTex
There are only 3 plugs available. Motorcraft, Autolite, and the new one piece Champion. There is the Brisk, but avoid that one. I would go back with the Motorcraft or try the Champion. If you haven't do a search on them and see what has been said.
What's wrong with the forth option...Brisk?

The reflash is a recall item so no charge to my knowledge.
Nope
Your plugs I would leave alone They have a 100,000 mile service life. Changing them now would likely result in your pulling the engine for head work that doesn't need to be done at this point (I just broke one off in the head I'm really pissed about it). Took my time and did everything the TSB said. If they are going to break they will break there is no preventing that.
My service adviser said the same thing. I said I don't care I want them changed while I'm still under the 3/36 since they said they will cover any extra labor under the warranty if any happens to break. When I talked to the mechanic who did the plug change on my truck he said he wouldn't wait until 100K to have them changed, not only because of the potential being greater that they can get stuck but because even though they are rated for 100K they loose efficiency long before that.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
DriftinZ
New User
WhiteCrystal, thanks for the help. My truck is doing EXACTLY what your talking about. Going uphill it seems to bang easier when down shifting. Well I'm pissed now because I'm outta my warrenty. What should I do, the Ford Dealerships around here SUCK. No one wants to help. Shut me out as soon as "They couldnt duplicate the problem" on 3 different ocasions I brought it in. Should I just buy a new driveshaft? Probley not cheap. Urgh I have a headach now....

Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 AM
JTProuhet
Junior User
my uncle said that the new driveshaft was gonna cost over 500 dollars when he told me that he was going to have to replace mine. And that was just for the driveshaft, i dont know what they would charge for labor or if that was his cost on it or what sooo... He was saying that they had a lot of problems on the 4 doors with the driveshaft. He was saying that the inner splines were made out of nickle plated steel and then after awhile it would wear off and then get in a bind and when it would free up it would make that loud clunk.