1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

What good is all this Horsepower if you can't use it?!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this like an injection soleniod?
Does the pump have a pressure shut-off?
where do you install the switch?

Old 04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
H2O is good to help control EGT.
Down fall is the amount of H2O you have to carry.

Bill

Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i second or third puttin the 1.15 back on, the van turbo on my truck i can keep the pedal buried with 14k behind me and never need to look at the pyro, i cant wait to fix my spearco it will be even better there again!!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Superchips you have now it one of the mildest programs you can get. For heavy towing you need heavy cooling. Put your 1.15 housing back on. Cut your exhaust off short and put a turnout under the bed...as close to the back of the cab as is legal in Nebraska. Then if that isn't enough help, get your checkbook out and buy a spearco, or Hypermax, or Banks intercooler.

More fuel from a bigger and better chip will only exacerbate the problem.

Water injection is a fun toy, but not really practical. It is ok as a stopgap....emergency type cooling system, but it's not really feasable to carry around a 100 gallon water tank, and the "big" seven gallon tanks that come with some systems will only last you about 20-30 minutes under heavy, continuous use. You also really need to be able to maintain 20 psi boost to keep water in it's safety margin.... Something that's not always possible at the top of a long grade.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Tell me more about Nitrous and how does it compare to the propane I'm using (low setting). Madvan, I was a locomotive engineer for 30 years, that's where I get the 'hauling the mail'. I used to always let her rip downhill so the hill ahead isn't so bad. I put heavier axles on my 5er and bigger G rated tires on it and it rides exceptional. In summary, get a DP tuner, put stock turbo housing back on, chop the exhaust (Nebraska isn't to tough on this stuff) and maybe Nitrous (which I don't know anything about). Water I don't know about, I haul plenty in my camper though. Thanks, Glenn

Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do the turbo housing first then see where you stand. If you need more (less) than look at tuning. After that then look into the drugs.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i used to have a spraybar on my ic and i could dump 25 gallons goin up tejon pass at 80 loaded to the gills it was set to come on when intake temps are getting high, i usually had it set for 300degrees it helped quite a bit but like said above its a pain carring all that water. im afraid of using water on a street rig too easy for a solinoid to stick

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen setups where they spray NOS directly onto the intercooler to cool the air faster. Seems like a waste of good drugs to me.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:23 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Wow cookie thanks for the info, i didnt know you could go through it that fast!
What about rigging your AC to cool the intercooler?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by secondarychaos
What about rigging your AC to cool the intercooler?
You laugh...but Ford dabbled with that very idea a couple of years ago. They used the A/C lines to cool a reservoir that was pumped through a water to air heat exchanger at WOT, then recovered to the same tank to be used again. Supposedly the recovery time was less than 5 minutes and was worth an additional 50HP over just the intercooler on a superchaged 5.4 Lightning test motor.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cookie88
You laugh...but Ford dabbled with that very idea a couple of years ago. They used the A/C lines to cool a reservoir that was pumped through a water to air heat exchanger at WOT, then recovered to the same tank to be used again. Supposedly the recovery time was less than 5 minutes and was worth an additional 50HP over just the intercooler on a superchaged 5.4 Lightning test motor.
I think that system made it to OE on a mustang didn't it? I thought I read about that somewhere.

Look on ebay there are AC cooler IC's for Ricers. Not big enough for our trucks though.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
Then if that isn't enough help, get your checkbook out and buy a spearco, or Hypermax, or Banks intercooler.
Cookie, Why are these IC's better then the 99 IC I installed? What is better, DP or Tony's? I suppose that has been asked a thousand times.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Cookie, Why are these IC's better then the 99 IC I installed? What is better, DP or Tony's? I suppose that has been asked a thousand times.
They are larger, denser, and much more efficient....which is why they cost so dang much money.

I've never run a tune by Tipton or Wildman....so I'm not really qualified to answer that.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I think that system made it to OE on a mustang didn't it? I thought I read about that somewhere.
Did it? That's awesome! Now they need to put it on a Lightning.....with a capacity large enough to be adapted to a PSD

Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sorry for so long to reply, been busy at work.

Nitrous in a diesel is NOTHING like a gas engine. priciple are not even close so what ever you know about gassers and nitrous we need to forget first.

Nitrous is under pressure, 1200 in a full bottle its one part Nitrogen, which is inert in our engines, and 3 parts oxygen, GREAT for fueling the fire, nitrous works very good on the engines because of the crappy head designs. you cant get alot of air in them unless its with stupid high boost numbers. Nitrous is often called Air in a Bottle. you WILL get a power a gain even on a stock engine.

the cooling comes from the rapid release from 1200 psi to atmospheric pressure. it not uncommon to frost over valves and lines in drag cars. were talking well below -0ºf here at the nozzle.

so, advantages are more fuel, no where near the Cylinder pressure spikes of propane. water meth if you get greedy you can pop head gaskets from the rapid expation of the water into steam, which expands at like 17,000 times its volume when made into steam. also the CP spikes from the methan. ther is no expantion from nitrous, actualy contraction from the rapid cooling of the air.

and the best part, if you do get greedy and run alot you will just introduce so much air, cold air, that it will just smother the fire out and you actually lose power.

there you go, my reasons for running Nitrous. on the Peterbilt. someday. and prolly the PSD.

also like said, ditch the 1.0 and the tuner, get a good tow burn on the truck, I love my DP heavy tow

Diesel Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What good is all this Horsepower if you can't use it?!