Just for fun; curious!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:44 PM
tankrsc
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well when I was younger and living in MN on my grand fathers dairy farm he had a 65 with a strait six not sure what size that one was but I do recall having it loaded pretty good with hay bales. It had a stake bed on it. I also went with him to day he bought a brand new 76 again with the 6. I drove that one thru the fields myself it had a granny 4-spd in it. It carried probly more than it was rated for several times and pulled the heck out of loaded hay wagons getting them from the field back to the barn. When he sold the farm in late 78 he purchased another new rig from Ford this time a 4X4 w/ 300 still granny 4 and pulled a fifth wheel RV from MN to AZ then back and forth to AR for a few years befor health made it impossible to drive the rig with the trailer any longer. Now like I said earlier if you want to talk modified there isn't much to compare because of too many variables from builder to set-up. As for the six being able to do the job I know what I have seen and even been behind the wheel on a couple of them. I will talk to my mother to see if she has some pics I can scan to show what Grandpa used to haul with his.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Originally Posted by brh1969
The reason Ford put 300s in one tons is they have to have a base model.Yeah it will physically move the truck.But it dont pull any real weight.Lokk at the GVW on a 300 equipped 1 ton sometime.
exactly

Ive had 4 300s and probably the best ive ever done on mileage was 16 in a 2wd and 12-14 in a 4x4 the 2wds had 3.08 gears and the 4x4s had 3.55s.Now my 460 will get12-14 with 4.10 gears at 55 now you get to 70-75 it drops way down.Im not arguing mileage but it can be closer than most of you will admit
wow, real world experience. shocking

Ive listened to this bs my whole life that the 300 is a great puller.That it will pull with most any V8.Ive owned the trucks,they wont.Ive yet to see anyone who can prove me wrong,all anybody can do is talk.
yeah....

Does anybody here actually have a "high performance" 300? Id be real interested in someone that really knew what they were talking about.Not well my buddy has one or my dad had one one time.Id be real interested in what a streetable pump gas 300 can really do.
me too. problem is, very few people have the money to hop up a 300 to any serious level. If you ask me, thats why they have 300s in the first place. The guys who have a little bit just do your standard offy dual plane/holley 390 cfm/efi maniolds + 2.5" single exhaust. woopee! 210 hp is right on. in other words, what a 351 is doing stock. 460? yeah......

Except i get flamed for posting my ideas. I even OWN a 300. Congrats.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:59 AM
LucasOS
New User
Wow, this thread got a little off topic now didn't it boys? The topic was:
"Have any of you timed your 300 to see how fast it took to go to 60+?"
Somehow that turned into rating the 300 Six, to big block v8's? Apples and Oranges if you ask me (which you didn't) Nevertheless, back to the original question. Yes, I have timed my 300 to see how fast it would go from 0 to 60. However I believe that the question was asked of owners of stock 300's. While I think I read somewhere in this thread that people just don't bother building up 300 I6's, actually some people do. Being one of those people, my time would again be "off topic". But I will say that the 300 I6 is capable of a lot more than a lot of people seem to be giving it credit for.
(****Some Assembly Required****)

Regards,
Daniel J.
LucasOS
The Insane 6
1996 Ford F150 4x2 - Insane 6

Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
brh1969
Junior User
No Lucas it didnt get off topic.It started out with people talking about 0-60 times with a 300 six.Then they start talking about how gearing doesnt affect a 300 like it does most motors,cause its such a torque monster.But yet nobody can prove it with any fact.Thats all i want.The 300 torque thing is a myth.They all shut up when faced with the truth.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
brh1969
Junior User
So Lucas what is it capable of?All ive got so far is my grandpa hauled hay with one and pulled a camper.And well Ford put them in one tons.Everyone thinks im being an ***,im just askin them to back up all this monster ltorque talk.

The first thing i said about all of this was "Towing 15,000 lbs...thats rich.And i was jumped on about being a V8 zombie.

I guess when you cant prove your smack talk with any fact you shut up.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
Thats right-and seeing as how I am currently on the road, I am not going to pull any numbers out of thin air. My orignal comment was: That a modified 300 could embarass the hell out of some 460 owners! I never said it would out torque the 460, as you imply, I never said it would out power the 460, as you imply. I simply stated that the 300 IS a good pulling motor, with plenty of torque, and when modified, can be an eyeopener. You have proceeded to add words, change things around and pretty much distort the original conversation. So, I think most of us, at least my self have decided that you wont be happy until you have the last word, and that is just what we are going to allow to happen. As soon as I am home and have the numbers, I will be more than happy to share them with you. But for now-this is my last word.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 PM
tankrsc
Elder User
OK brh I see you are from Kansas. You know how hay wagons get loaded and the general size of them. We hauled 3 bales over the cab and then loaded the wagon which was an 8X24 flatbed I don't remember exactly how many bales high we went on the wagons but I do remember setting on top and seeing very well over the truck. Our bales were 125# each I don't know how much that was total load but I do know it was not light. Can I quote numbers no that was done on the farm back in the 70's. I don't know what your deal is on this, If you don't like the 6 then don't get one or if you have one get rid of it. But I don't understand why you insist on tearing down others unless you are just trying to compensate for your own inaptness. Is it a 460 no can it out power a 460 no. I hope that makes you happy but the fact remains the 300 can get the job done and has done it quite well for several years whether you want to admit it or not.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:29 PM
brh1969
Junior User
You guys just dont listen.You are the ones saying what you want to hear

I have said numerous times that i love the 300.Would i have owned 4 of them if i didnt.The other 2 ive had were on homemade power units.These were built by me and my dad with PTO units for turning grain augers and such.The reason we used 300s.Dead nuts reliability,cheap,light,and decent power.

Yes the 300 gets the job done.22LR gets the job done too but ya dont hunt grizzly with it.

Karl i go back to your statement a 460 will fly because of hp but the 300 will pull because it has torque.Well by that statement i take it as the 300 is a better puller than the 460 in your mind.The 300 doesnt make big torque like all of you claim.Yes it does alright for a small engine.

Karl your not talking to some dumb kid here.Ive owned,driven,built,raced,towed with more different Ford trucks and engines than probably anyone involved in this thread.I have the real world experience with the 300.It does NOT outpull any Ford V-8 with the possible exception of the 302 or smaller on average.Yes there are exceptions.I said ON AVERAGE.

5.0 Torx i guess youve kind been gettin a hard time from these guys?Well if they wanna talk about doing mods to a 300 and it whipping a 302/5.0.I dont think we need to even talk about what the 302/5.0 can do with mods for cheap.It has nothing left to prove.And im not a 302 fan id rather have a 300 but im still gonna get bashed cause i questioned the mighty torque monster 300.

Everybody step back and look at what ive been saying all along.Where do you see this big torque at?Now go ahead and twist this where it fits for you.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:51 PM
brh1969
Junior User
Im sorry this has turned into what it has.Sometimes though people can get a little carried away with the 300 stuff.Not just here,i hear it most every day at work too.

Karl i really am interested in your numbers.I just dont know what a 300 is cabable of modified.Thats why ive been asking.

Again sorry but i call bs when i smell it.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
ElwoodMurphy
Senior User
Well brh and 5.0torx if you don't like it here stop trolling and go back to where you came from. If we are loyal the 300 it is no business of yours. If you don't have a 0-60 time to submit leave.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Karl your not talking to some dumb kid here.
Nope, you've officially been promoted to dumb adult. If you weren't twisting what everyone posted into what you wanted to read we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Ive owned,driven,built,raced,towed with more different Ford trucks and engines than probably anyone involved in this thread.
I somehow doubt that. Those kinds of statements are usually made by those who are struggling to gain the recognition and respect they think the deserve but can't earn on their own merit. You seriously underestimate the field of experience that is present on this forum.

I have the real world experience with the 300.It does NOT outpull any Ford V-8 with the possible exception of the 302 or smaller on average.Yes there are exceptions.I said ON AVERAGE.
I see that you are now throwing the statement "on average" around. You've gone from absolutes to maybes, another sign that you recognize the weakness of your argument. On the other hand, you are saying the exact thing that 90% of the members of this forum have said: the 300 pulls better than a 302. Nobody has ever said anything other than that, and I don't believe that has been mentioned in this thread. Your contrived notion that we all faithfully believe that a 300 will outpull your prized 460 is a complete falacy believed only by you. Most of us are realists and understand that when someone makes a statment that it may not have read exactly as it was typed. You, on the other hand, have taken every statement made in its most literal sense, tweaked it to suit your needs, and spit it back with aplomb. Get over yourself, and to make that process more pleasant for us it would be nice if you did that elsewhere.

If you want numbers, here they are. On the dyno my truck made 270 ft-lbs at the wheels from just off idle through 3000 rpm. That's about 320 ft-lbs at the crank for 1.06 ft-lbs per cubic inch. The only two dyno sheets I could find quickly for a stock, or near stock, 460 were one engine dyno showing 464 ft-lbs at 3400 rpm for an engine that Car Craft built. 3400 rpm is the lowest rpm they could test, and the curve might have been higher at lower rpm. The second was at the wheels and made 387 ft-lbs @ 4500 rpm. The wheel number corrects to roughly 465 ft-lbs, so the Ford spec of 465 ft-lbs seems to be reasonable. I didn't find any for a truck, which I thought would be easy in the big block forum. Anyhoo.....465 ft-lbs from a 460 is 1.01 ft-lbs per cubic inch and it doesn't do it until the rpms are above the 300's power peak. It seems to me that the 300 is more efficient at making low end torque than the 460. I'm sure the 460 would make more if it was built to run from idle to 3500 rpm, but it's not. In order to be more efficient that the 300 down low it would have to basically make nearly 500 ft-lbs from idle to 3000 rpm. It doesn't.

The EFI 460 was only rated at 360 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm and the EFI 300 at 265 ft-lbs @ 2200 rpm, which gives the 460 .84 ft-lbs/ci and the 300 .88 ft-lbs/ci. 460 loses at the ratings game as well.

Just to stroke your ego off, yes your mighty 460 makes more power and torque than a 300. Nobody ever said otherwise, you just manipulated what they said into what you wanted them to say and started slinging mud. To further bolster your ego I will say that no 300 will out tow your 460. We can disregard the fact that 90% of all 300's were installed in half ton trucks with 3.08 gears and 100% of 460's were installed in 3/4 or 1-ton trucks that have the benefit of 3.73 or lower gears and possibly a granny gear. Surely the 20% gain in mechanical advantage wouldn't give the 460 an edge anyway.

Are you happy now that two of us have come right out and said that the 460 is better than the 300, or do you need everyone to do it?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
1980FORD
Senior User
It started out with people talking about 0-60 times with a 300 six.Then they start talking about how gearing doesnt affect a 300 like it does most motors,cause its such a torque monster.
I just wanted to point out that it was 5.0torx that said gearing wouldn't affect 0-60 times. I said it would, especially with bigger tires. I don't even need proof from anyone else because I did it. The 3.55 gears and my 35" tires made my truck very slow.
I have been following this thread because it has brought me tons of laughs! I will not jump into the argument because as far as I am concerned every engine has its use and no engine is the absolute best at everything.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
brh1969
Junior User
How many Fords have you owned Silver Streak?Have you ever rebuilt an engine?I can give you a list of everything ive owned and every engine ive built if you need me too.

100% of 460s came in 3/4 and 1 tons?Better get your facts right before you start spewing off.They came in half tons too.And cars for that matter.See that tells me all you know is EFI era stuff.

Finally some numbers.Good info there Silver streak.What all has been done to your truck?Good low end info.

Elwood i dont have a 0-60 time to submit for a 300,dont own a sundial or an hourglass sorry.That is a joke for those of you not following very closely.

Those of you telling me to leave because im not "loyal" to the 300.Ill ask this has anyone here owned 6 of them.Good lord GET THIS THRU YOUR THICK SKULLS.I LOVE THE 300.How many times do i have to say it.I dont put it on the pedastal that some of you do.A little debate and you all cant handle it.Well i guess if you want me kicked off you better have a moderator do it.I dont think ive done anything wrong.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
How many Fords have you owned Silver Streak?
While I don't see at all what this has to do with this thread, I have owned two Ford trucks and several Ford cars. I realize that in your mind that will probably make my experience inferior to yours, but why would I go get a different truck when the ones I have fulfil all of my needs? A better question might be what have I towed with? The answer to that is pretty much every Ford combination you can think of. 302, multiple varieties of 351, 360, 390, 460, 300, manual, auto; I've pulled with them all. Hell, I've even towed with one that had a 289 swapped into it.

Have you ever rebuilt an engine?I can give you a list of everything ive owned and every engine ive built if you need me too.
Yes, more than I can remember. If you can tell me every engine you've built that must not be very many.

100% of 460s came in 3/4 and 1 tons?Better get your facts right before you start spewing off.They came in half tons too.And cars for that matter.See that tells me all you know is EFI era stuff.
Cars? No kidding. I thought this was a truck forum. There you go inferring BS again. Would you be more comfortable with 99% of them were in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks?

Finally some numbers.Good info there Silver streak.What all has been done to your truck?Good low end info.
You wouldn't believe me if I told you. Let's just say it's close enough to stock to call it stock.

A little debate and you all cant handle it.Well i guess if you want me kicked off you better have a moderator do it.I dont think ive done anything wrong.
It wasn't debate, it was a beligerent attack. Since I don't see any rules for forum use posted I guess you haven't done anything wrong. You've just done something that's in very poor taste. If you don't have anything useful or productive to add, don't add anything. We've all called BS plenty of times on the forum, but we've all been around a while. That's not to say that being a new forum member reduces the value of experience at all, but being a new forum member and starting off the way you did will not do anything to earn you the respect you think you deserve.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordtruck88
just curoius, what gearing do you have? my '94 f150 is a lot slower than yours and it's only got 72000 mi., but it's got the 2.73 rear end.

btw. nice truck, good to see one with out rust on it

Thanks brother! I have 4.10 rear.

Keep that 2.73; with the way gas prices are going you'll be laughing at me before long. :P

Quick Reply: Just for fun; curious!