Just for fun; curious!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. SEEMS MY JOKE HAS CAUSED QUITE A STIR

here we go again!!! cant wait for flashman to chime in. makes my friggin day....

SS, you blow me away. you not only have a degree in mechanical engineering, but also and F150 lightning. Do you even realize that if that motor was in a chassis that could haul/tow (rather than compromise between hauling/towing and turning, which it does better than any truck ever) that it could EASILY outpull your 300? Have you even THOUGHT about it? GIMME A ****IN BREAK! those 2v blown 5.4s are torque MONSTERS. dont EVEN give me the "well, at low rpm" BS because its just not true. that lightning motor will pull harder, stronger, rev faster, and get the job done better than ANY stock 300. go ahead and throw the "mod for mod" argument. Thatll fail too, since the lightning motor can easily eclipse 500-600 lb-ft of torque without so much as removing the head. The one and ONLY argument for 300s (AS ITS ALWAYS BEEN) has been torque per dollar. if you need to pull tree stumps out of the ground for $100, the 300 is the best choice. The difference? You paid more for you lightning. Thats it. Its just as reliable, too. taxi cabs and police cars, boys, taxi cabs and police cars. The modulars are reliable as hell.

Once again, not bashing the 300, just syaing that its only usefulness/awesomeness is its bang for the buck. Just saying that there ARE better things out there. And im blown away that you have a lightning and a 300 and claim the 300 is the best thing ever. Youre already going WAY over the GVWR of the 300 truck, towing 11k pounds. Did you try it with you lightning? I BET NOT

Which would be better, i wonder? The one that makes 270 rwtq, or 380? hmmm.....

flamesuit on...

Old 04-19-2008, 01:53 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
same goes for the 460. better, just more expensive. Same for the 351....

Old 04-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brh1969
Just dont try to tell me i dont know what im talking about when it comes to pulling stuff.
I don't think I ever did, you just seem to be naturally defensive about it. You said the 300 wouldn't pull the weight, I said it would. It won't do it quickly or effortlessly, but it will do it. In my case, the truck around the 300 is why I wouldn't choose to pull 11k again. My comfort level ends at about 6k becasue the truck won't hold up the tongue weight for the trailer to be stable above that, nor will it stop with confidence. You're the one that posted to this thread for no other reason that to turn someone's joke into a free for all.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5.0Torx
SS, you blow me away. you not only have a degree in mechanical engineering, but also and F150 lightning. Do you even realize that if that motor was in a chassis that could haul/tow (rather than compromise between hauling/towing and turning, which it does better than any truck ever) that it could EASILY outpull your 300?
Where the hell is this coming from? Where have I ever said the 300 would tow more than 5.4 SC? I've said on this very forum how I though it could have been one of the legendary pulling engines if it was in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. For that matter, where have I said a 300 will outpull any Ford engine other than a 302 and give a 351 a good run for its money? I haven't.

Have you even THOUGHT about it? GIMME A ****IN BREAK! those 2v blown 5.4s are torque MONSTERS. dont EVEN give me the "well, at low rpm" BS because its just not true.
Yes, I've thought about it. What gives you the idea that I haven't? What does the low rpm BS have to do with it? Again, I've never said anything about that other than against the 302. Did you think about your post before you made it? I'm guessing not since it contains no factual information about what I've said or thought.

that lightning motor will pull harder, stronger, rev faster, and get the job done better than ANY stock 300. go ahead and throw the "mod for mod" argument. Thatll fail too, since the lightning motor can easily eclipse 500-600 lb-ft of torque without so much as removing the head.
Did you think this one up all by yourself too? Sheesh. This is a recording: The 5.4 SC will out do the 300 in any category other than mileage and durability. I've never said otherwise, but you seem to be really having a good time making up things for me to say.

The one and ONLY argument for 300s (AS ITS ALWAYS BEEN) has been torque per dollar. if you need to pull tree stumps out of the ground for $100, the 300 is the best choice.
The only thing I will argue with that is the point that tq/$ is the only thing the 300 has going for it. It has other attributes that the other engines don't have.

The difference? You paid more for you lightning. Thats it.
???? Damn, I thought the extra money might have gotten me more than an old farm truck with a stout engine in it. There's a lot more difference between them than you think.

Its just as reliable, too. taxi cabs and police cars, boys, taxi cabs and police cars. The modulars are reliable as hell.
That's the joke of the year. Just off the top of my head I can tell you that the mods have problems with breaking rods, breaking/losing rocker arms, spitting out spark plugs, and splitting intake manifolds. From a reliability and durability standpoint the mods are an engineering failure, in particular the 3V. They do their jobs well, but they have tons of problems.

Once again, not bashing the 300, just syaing that its only usefulness/awesomeness is its bang for the buck.
No, you've stepped up to bashing me personally for no apparent reason other than what the little voices seem to have told you.

Just saying that there ARE better things out there. And im blown away that you have a lightning and a 300 and claim the 300 is the best thing ever.
For my use in a daily driver with moderate towing needs the 300 is the best thing. When I lived in the sticks and had to tow a substantial load several times a month it was still the best thing for me because I could tow anything I wanted within reason without paying fuel and maintenance penalties for the 15% of the time I needed to tow something. If I had to tow a large load every day, or even 3 or 4 times a week, I would have looked for something else. For pure towing there are engines that will do it better. For all around use it can't be beaten.

Youre already going WAY over the GVWR of the 300 truck, towing 11k pounds. Did you try it with you lightning? I BET NOT
If I had known what it weighed when I hooked up to it I wouldn't have tried it. It was a load of scrap at an auction and every estimate of weight we got placed it between 5k and 7k. It was sold trailer and all and we didn't know there was a bunch of railroad iron on the bottom of the pile. I hooked up to it in Tahlequah, OK and hauled it to Stillwater, OK on the highway. As soon as I got it moving I knew it was heavy, but we didn't know how heavy until we took it accros the scales.

Which would be better, i wonder? The one that makes 270 rwtq, or 380? hmmm.....
Duh. When I did this I didn't have a Lightning, and the gen 2 was nothing but a twinkle in somebodies eye. My Lightning has seen a trailer one time and it had a SeaDoo on it because the car show I was going to was at the lake and their paint kinda matches. And why would I tow at only 1/2 throttle? The L makes way over 380 ft-lbs even in stock trim. Comparing my daily driver to my toy is really silly btw.

flamesuit on...
Why do you need a flamesuit? Are you admitting that you have stopped debating the issue and are moving on to personal attacks that you can't substantiate?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
its too bad this thread has ben derailed like this, however i apologize for being overly aggressive, SS. got a little carried away

it just makes me mad, i guess, when people run their mouth off about any motor other than the 300. Sure its the 300 forum, but i dont think that gives people the right to leave fact at the door. its a great motor, im just tired of the hype.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 AM
brh1969
Junior User
[quote=Karl Keicher;6057486]Yes a 460 is a beautiful polluter! LOL But the six is one torque filled mill that wont back down when it comes to pulling! Horsepower makes your speed, torque does your pulling, so while the 460 will fly, the 300 WILL pull! And, with a few modifications, has the ability to embarass the hell out of some 460 owners![/quote

Well by this reasonibg here you are saying a 300 has more torque.Show me the numbers.

I asked here the other day what kind of numbers an all out max effort 300 would make the answer i got was the best ever seen was 500 ft lbs.460 will do that almost stock

Old 04-19-2008, 09:39 AM
brh1969
Junior User
You know i look in on this category because i like the 6cyl Ford,especially the 300.But i call bs when i see bs.There is not 1 thing the 300 will do better than just about any Ford big block,except run longer possibly and get better gas mileage possibly.You give me them 3.08 gears some of ya got and im not so sure about that.Im sorry i bothered your little category.Nothin wrong with a little debate.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
brh1969-I think you need to re-read, again, my original comment and you will find that I, number 1, never implied the 460 out torqued the 300, and number 2, in your rebuttal you agreed with what I said in my original comment, that a few mods on a 300 can embarass alot of 460 owners. Like I said, and you agreed with me! So, once again, reread only R E A L S L O W this time! Sorry I even jumped into this one!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 AM
brh1969
Junior User
Show me where i agreed Karl.

What is considered a "high performance 300"? 210 hp?

The only reason all of you are sorry you jumped in on this is because someone called bs on you and you cant back it up with any fact at all.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
[quote=brh1969;6058310]
Originally Posted by Karl Keicher
Yes a 460 is a beautiful polluter! LOL But the six is one torque filled mill that wont back down when it comes to pulling! Horsepower makes your speed, torque does your pulling, so while the 460 will fly, the 300 WILL pull! And, with a few modifications, has the ability to embarass the hell out of some 460 owners![/quote

Well by this reasonibg here you are saying a 300 has more torque.Show me the numbers.

I asked here the other day what kind of numbers an all out max effort 300 would make the answer i got was the best ever seen was 500 ft lbs.460 will do that almost stock
Right here-reread my comment and you will see that you agreed with me. I at no time said the 300 would out torque the 460, however, with some modifications would be an embarassment! I didnt mean to cause a problem, however, you have misread my comments!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 AM
brh1969
Junior User
Ok Karl now you need to read real slow

I said a MAX effort 300 might make 500 ft lb.Max effort means more than just a few modifications.

I cant find any factory torque numbers for a 300.Does anybody know what the best factory number they ever put out was?You might have a leg to stand on if you take the 300s best against the 460 smog eras worst,i will give you that.But if you take the 460s best you are done.

Karl you said that horsepower is what makes you go fast and torque is what pulls.And that the 300 will pull!Well show me the big huge torque number that proves that.I agree that it is good for what it is,you guys cant seem to get that thru your head.Has a stock 300 ever made 1 ft lb of torque per cubic inch?What im saying based on your comment if torque pulls theen the 460 is way way more of a puller than the 300.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:13 PM
brh1969
Junior User
Best number i can find for the 300 is 260ft lbs@2000 in 94 im assuming the EFI one were the most powerful.Dont know that for sure.Someone please correct me if im wrong.

460 for the same year is 400 ft lbs@2200.I guess that 200 rpm difference make the 300 a low end torque machine and the 460 a high end screamer huh.Now if we want to go back to the early model 460 i can really blow your theorys out of the water.

What i found real funny was that alot of years the 351 made alot more torque at a lower rpm than the 300 did.Not every year but some of them.Your torque theory on the 300 is bunk,prove me wrong.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
brh1969
Junior User
Ha it gets better. From 87 on the 302 makes more torque and way more hp than the 300 ,granted at 400 more rpms.And thats the truck motor not the HO.

Somebody please explain this torque monster thing,the puller of all pullers the 300 I6.Kinda hard to do when the facts are brought out huh?

Old 04-19-2008, 01:28 PM
tankrsc
Elder User
I have a 360 in my 76, a 300 in my 91, have had a 302, 390 and 460 in other trucks in the past. There is nothing wrong with any of them, they all have their place. I don't understand what the deal is here. The 300 must have had something going for it since Ford felt no problems putting them in 1-ton trucks they didn't do it for giggles they did it because the motor has the power to do the job and yes it gets better fuel milage than a 460. When you start talking modifications you change the entire topic of comparison. A 460 can not performe to its potential when everything is set up for the 6 and the same goes for the 6 trying to work with a V8 set-up. I have seen guys with very well thought out trucks powered by the 300 that surprised the heck out of everyone. The only fair comparison here would be the 302 or the 400 V8's.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM
brh1969
Junior User
What do you mean by 6 cyl setup and v8 setup.

The reason Ford put 300s in one tons is they have to have a base model.Yeah it will physically move the truck.But it dont pull any real weight.Lokk at the GVW on a 300 equipped 1 ton sometime.

Ive had 4 300s and probably the best ive ever done on mileage was 16 in a 2wd and 12-14 in a 4x4 the 2wds had 3.08 gears and the 4x4s had 3.55s.Now my 460 will get12-14 with 4.10 gears at 55 now you get to 70-75 it drops way down.Im not arguing mileage but it can be closer than most of you will admit

Ive listened to this bs my whole life that the 300 is a great puller.That it will pull with most any V8.Ive owned the trucks,they wont.Ive yet to see anyone who can prove me wrong,all anybody can do is talk.

Does anybody here actually have a "high performance" 300? Id be real interested in someone that really knew what they were talking about.Not well my buddy has one or my dad had one one time.Id be real interested in what a streetable pump gas 300 can really do.

Quick Reply: Just for fun; curious!