Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Senior User

Tom D is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Really screwed up the mix

I decided to make my first batch 5 gallons in case I screwed it up. Well, I did.
I started out not putting in enough KOH so with your collective help, I ran it again and added more KOH. I let it sit in the separator and I did notice glycerol on the bottom of the sample bottle. I ran a titration 3 TIMES and it checked good. I had a family emergency so I didn't get any further for several weeks. Today I finished the process.The glycerol was in gooey clumps so I scooped them out of the bottom. I reheated to 100F,filtered through a 5 mic bag filter and attempted to remove the methoxide. THERE WASN'T ANY. I attribute this to running the batch twice and letting it sit for several weeks. OK no problem. I put in mix tank and used the following formula. 5 gal BD=36# 1% of 36 is .36# .36#= 5.76 oz. With that, I added 5.76 oz of magnesol and gently mixed for 1 hour. I then attempted to filter through a 5 mic/1 mic filter bag. It took 2 hours for 1/2 gal to drip through the bags. Obviously I have done something wrong. It is only 5 gallons. Shall I dump it and try again? What did I do wrong. Sure glad it wasn't 100 gals like Fab's first batch.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I need help and I know you want to know everything I did or didn't do. Thank you in advance for your help. Tom
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
I decided to make my first batch 5 gallons in case I screwed it up. Well, I did.
I started out not putting in enough KOH so with your collective help, I ran it again and added more KOH. I let it sit in the separator and I did notice glycerol on the bottom of the sample bottle. I ran a titration 3 TIMES and it checked good. I had a family emergency so I didn't get any further for several weeks. Today I finished the process.The glycerol was in gooey clumps so I scooped them out of the bottom. I reheated to 100F,filtered through a 5 mic bag filter and attempted to remove the methoxide. THERE WASN'T ANY. I attribute this to running the batch twice and letting it sit for several weeks. OK no problem. I put in mix tank and used the following formula. 5 gal BD=36# 1% of 36 is .36# .36#= 5.76 oz. With that, I added 5.76 oz of magnesol and gently mixed for 1 hour. I then attempted to filter through a 5 mic/1 mic filter bag. It took 2 hours for 1/2 gal to drip through the bags. Obviously I have done something wrong. It is only 5 gallons. Shall I dump it and try again? What did I do wrong. Sure glad it wasn't 100 gals like Fab's first batch.
Sorry for the lengthy post but I need help and I know you want to know everything I did or didn't do. Thank you in advance for your help. Tom
You just had to remind everybody about my first disaster didn't you Tom

When you say you attemped to remove the methoxide, how did you do that?

Did you pump mix the magnesol, or Stir it gently?

I would junk that test and try it again..................

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
You just had to remind everybody about my first disaster didn't you Tom

When you say you attemped to remove the methoxide, how did you do that?

Did you pump mix the magnesol, or Stir it gently?

I would junk that test and try it again..................
Sorry Don, but misery loves company. Anyway, it is because of your experience that I tried a small batch. Thanks for that.
I SLOW mixed the magnesol. And I used YOUR method to remove the methoxide with the BD at 100 deg.
I noticed the inside of the 5 gallon pail WAS painted and now the methanol has stripped it clean. Do you think the paint is messing it all up?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Sorry Don, but misery loves company. Anyway, it is because of your experience that I tried a small batch. Thanks for that.
I SLOW mixed the magnesol. And I used YOUR method to remove the methoxide with the BD at 100 deg.
I noticed the inside of the 5 gallon pail WAS painted and now the methanol has stripped it clean. Do you think the paint is messing it all up?
Don, I sent you an email concerning this. Tom
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels