1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front Hood tilt question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Aussie 53
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Hood tilt question?

Need some info on the front tilt for the hood. It looks like if I want to have a good fitting hood my option is to go with a front tilting hood. For all you guys out there with hoods that tilt to the front do I keep all the hardware around the radiator valance, like the saftey catch, locating pin etc?

Cheers
Aussie 53 (Paul)

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do with the kit Mid Fifty sells.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The BMW style kits (CCP, Mid Fifty) all still use the front latch mechanism including the safety catch and pin. They do replace the hinges with rollers and guides.

Your other option is to go the way I did: 1956 Ford F100 4x2 - Front Tilt Hood

This way requires pinning the hood to the fenders at their common corners, modification of the front radiator valance, and does away with all the front latch mechanism. You add you own latch at the firewall.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:22 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie 53
Need some info on the front tilt for the hood. It looks like if I want to have a good fitting hood my option is to go with a front tilting hood. For all you guys out there with hoods that tilt to the front do I keep all the hardware around the radiator valance, like the saftey catch, locating pin etc?

Cheers
Aussie 53 (Paul)

According to the instructions and Mid-fifty catalog, you keep the latch, but remove the safety catch. My safety doesn't catch anyhow..

Sam

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
I got the one from Mid-fifty however, even though it said to remove it I kept the safty latch on, I just want to make sure the hood doesn't pop up.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Caddy 53
Senior User

Ausie 53: I prefered to use the kit put out by NO LIMIT ENG. because it offers better adj.options to make fit..I have used ccp products <brake kit< Had lots of problem getting the necessary parts To fit the application. They finally came thru but why can't they come thru the first time.I have heard to many horror stories about the CCP kit and better results using NO LIMIT is better. Don't get me wrong the NO LIMIT not perfect. I also incorporated rubber stop's at the cowl. I kept the alignment dowl and latch.
Good luck caddy 53

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no point in retaining the safety latch on a front tilt hood. It is to keep the hood from blowing up in case the latch wasn,t engaged properly or came undone while going down the road.

A front tilt hood can not blow open unless you are driving backwards at 65 mph and then I still don't think it could open.

I also used the No Limit kit and am quite happy with it, although I know of others that hate it.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can never remember the brands, but the one with the billet aluminum that looks so good is reported to be a real PITA! Get the one like I have in my gallery. It is easy to adjust and keeps the hood where it belongs. Also, I kept my safety latch in place too. Jag

Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
I also built a single pivot forward tilt, much like RJ's but I made hindges mounting to the rad valance.
pics in gallery
Since pics I've done away with the gas struts and am going with elec. actuators for lift and lower

Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt54
I also built a single pivot forward tilt, much like RJ's but I made hindges mounting to the rad valance.
pics in gallery
Since pics I've done away with the gas struts and am going with elec. actuators for lift and lower
I have been thinking about those actuators also. I'll be interested in how you mount them.

Your pivot point moved forward helps a lot. You should be able to get a smaller gap seam between fenders and hood than I had to use. Looks good.

I still love that chop and visor.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
david53ford
Senior User
I just installed one also mine from blue oval I made a fish plate slotted the holes wheretront mount bolts down gave me lots off adjustment frt to back and side to side

Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
I have been thinking about those actuators also. I'll be interested in how you mount them.

Your pivot point moved forward helps a lot. You should be able to get a smaller gap seam between fenders and hood than I had to use. Looks good.

I still love that chop and visor.
Randy, so far my plan is to keep them forward toward the rad valance but I'm lowering the pivot point down toward the frame about 8".The attachment on the hood side I'm bringing a bracket down 4" at a 90* angel from my hood suport tubing. I haven't completed it yet, kinda put on hold when my machinist called said the engine was ready. I'll keep ya posted

Old 04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Hey mt54, thats one fine looking hood hinge setup!! Do you mind if I "borrow" the design? I'm working on another '56 and I want to do it a little different. I really like your idea, what are you using for a latch? I'm assuming since you dont move the hood forward and hinge it just hinge it, you are using some type of trunck latch on the cowl? You didnt have a latch picture in your gallery.

Thanks!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:02 PM
e william
Elder User
Hey Aussie,

I got mine from Mid-Fifty....which they inturn got from CPP... Full polished setup with the rails. I didnt like they way it fit with the safety so I took mine off too. It's got plenty of adjustment, fits well....
ED

Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 AM
mt54
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Truxx1956
I really like your idea, what are you using for a latch? I'm assuming since you dont move the hood forward and hinge it just hinge it, you are using some type of trunck latch on the cowl? You didnt have a latch picture in your gallery.

Thanks!!
No problem I'm sure you can improve on it.
Yes I'm using a trunk latch at the cowl, At one point I was trying to use a power trunk pull down latch, that didn't work out so good as the pull down latch worked fine for down but raise you would need a spring or something to lift the hood off of the micro swicth to reverse the pwr latch. I will get some updated pics as soon as I can and post them. I'm not finished with the electric lift actuators install yet.

Quick Reply: Front Hood tilt question?