1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Cheap Turbo's on E-bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:45 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Turbo's on E-bay

There is a seller on E-Bay that sells reman. Turbo's pretty cheap, no core required. He sell under the name of "Draggms" and he sells from Puerto Rico.

I've been ******* him for several months as he does not mention a warranty. he does say that if you are not satisfied with the product you may return it unopened and unmounted within 14 days.

Every time I would write him re his warranty he would recite the above. I finally jumped him and told him that I understand I can return it in 14 days, that was not my question. "WHAT IS YOU WARRANTY ON THE turbos?

He finally fested up and said that he does not give warranties on turbos that are not installed in his shop (remember....he is in Puerto Rico) because turbos are very delicate and if an error is mad by someone then that turbo could be destroyed in a matter of seconds. signed: Gigito

The good news is he has a great track record with E-Bay, Neg comments are almost nil. But those comments would not reflect what might happen weeks after receiving the turbo.

I am only posting this for the forum to be fully aware that this is like buying a pig in a poke. Buyer beware.

Rog

Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
I think the correct term to use here is "caveat emptor" - aka buyer beware.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
kawa
Postmaster
You sir, are very correct, this guys prices and photos are very enticing. In fact, when you are reading his posting it's almost like reading an ad from
Ron's Turbo in Utah.

Rog

Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Kawa, are you suggesting we ???
Does he mention How much is done to them and what condition he gets them in?
Thanks for keeping us informed!
Dan

Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Um...Most places DO NOT give you a warranty on a turbo you install yourself, at least not that I know of.

Because, like that guy said, it's fairly easy for some shadetree mechanic to screw something up.

Of course, I've never really bought a "new" turbo so I guess I don't have much experience with that.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ron's does give a one year unlimited mileage warrantee on his turbo's. thats why I bought one from him and not the guy Rog is talking about. There is very little you can do to a turbo to mess it up. Aside from starting the truck and going straight to red line for 3 minutes. I won't recommend a stock turbo from anybody but Ron. He helped me out and it has been a great turbo for the last 14 months putting up with my abuse.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Rog.... I just don't like Ebay period. I've had issues purchasing multiple items in the past. I like to physically see what I'm getting before i buy it... Who knows thought? Maybe you should shoot a message to some of the people who have purchased turbo's from him in the past, and ask how they're holding up...

-Robb

Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Maybe you should shoot a message to some of the people who have purchased turbo's from him in the past, and ask how they're holding up...

-Robb
That sounds like a good way to go...
Does ebay let you do that???
im not all that familiar with it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by secondarychaos
That sounds like a good way to go...
Does ebay let you do that???
im not all that familiar with it.
Yea, if you look up there past items sold and click on the buyers user name u can send them a message.

I just got a bunch on the negative feedback I left when I tried to buy an iPod and the guy ripped me off. I got my money back (paypal is good about that). A few people have been asking me about him and my experience. Needles to say, I didn't have the greatest things to say about him...

-Robb

Old 04-07-2008, 02:02 PM
kawa
Postmaster
No! I am not suggesting a ban on anyone or anything. It's just that this guy makes his product sound so great but offers no warranty and he operates out of PUERTO RICO.

So, and according to him if the turbo takes a dump in two (2) weeks, Oh well. He gives you 14 days to look at it but don't mount it because if you do he won't take it back. Basically, his warranty is: open the box and it's yours.

Go to E-Bay and read his ad for your self. This is nothing more than to keep some members out of trouble. The decision is yours.

320233451600 (E-Bay)

I just bought a 1.0 Turbo from Ron with a blank Pedestal (no BPRV) for about $100.00 more than the guy in Puerto Rico. and as TJ said, I have an unlimited warranty for one (1) year. Trust me when I say that Ron did not install this for me.

Rog

Old 04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Rog.... Check out some of the posts up above... how about you shoot a message to someone who has purchased a turbo from them and see how it's working out??? that way you can know for sure...

-Robb

Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
$100 for a year free of worries sounds good to me!
And as for making it sound so great, well, he's in retail. nuff said.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM
kawa
Postmaster
I contacted several guys that had made purchases from this seller in Puerto Rico. I received two (2) answers back. One was from a buyer that had purchased a Shaft and was quite happy. The other respondent was not so happy. I quote:

"I highly recommend you buy one elsewhere. My turbo had loose bolts on it that I didn't know about that ended up falling out and caused the turbo to ruin. I tried to take it apart the rest of the way to see if I could maybe fix it and then the shaft broke. He tried to blame everything on me.
He left bolts out on a rebuilt turbo. They should've been locktightened in there. I've got a dispute open right now waiting on it to resolve. After a while, he completely stopped responding to me. Good luck"

Well that is an unhappy camper. Maybe he shouldn't have taken it apart after the unit failed but then again, the seller is in Puerto Rico and there was/is no warranty.

Rog

Old 04-13-2008, 03:31 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

That there would be enough for me to never buy one there!

Thanks KAWA for the Info good to know this kinda stuff

Old 04-13-2008, 03:57 PM
kawa
Postmaster
My "Ron's" turbo is doing a great job for me. Plus, I know if everything all of a sudden goes south that Ron will stand behind his product. Thank you Ron.

Rog