Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior User

Moore558 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Summit ignition box vs. MSD box.

I'm sure I'm going to catch flak on this one, but I'm asking anyways.

Summit has their version of an ignition box that is comparable to a MSD6A box. The specs for both can be found here.

Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?CP=1&part=SUM-850600&N=700%200&Ntt=SUM~850600%20or%20SUM~850602&Ntk=&rsview=sku&Ns=P_SRE_DisplayPrice|0

MSD:
MSD Ignition 6200 - MSD 6A CD Ignitions - summitracing.com

The specs for the summit box are actually better and cheaper than the MSD box. I've never heard of anybody using the summit box though. Would it be worth looking into or should I just find a 6A box for cheaper? It would be going on the truck in my signature. Thanks.

Farewell Baby. You will be forever missed. 03-29-96 to 07-16-2008
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...4/a5cb37cd.jpg
Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I have never heard about the Summit box. It would not surprise me though, if MSD actually made it. Someone makes it for Summit. Summit is like the Walmart of High Performance parts. If you have the power and the money, and put in a large enough order, you can get someone to make something for you at a reduced cost.
I really don't know who makes it though.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior User

Moore558 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The specs match a few of the mallory boxes that summit sells. I'm just guessing it's a mallory.

Farewell Baby. You will be forever missed. 03-29-96 to 07-16-2008
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...4/a5cb37cd.jpg
Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Summit doesn't make parts, it while labels other manufactures. It doesn't look like an MSD, the wire appears to be cheap PVC insulated and the mount bracket is in the white. I'd hope MSD would carry their standards over to their private labels.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 AM
MSEE

fmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud offmc400 has much to be proud of
Usually the Summit branded products represent the economy\value level. I wouldn't be surprised if it's built overseas. I looked up the manual for it and it doesn't say.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Postmaster

BaronVonAutomatc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's a Mallory, the installation manuals are identical except one says "Summit" where the other says "Mallory".
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring

Tags
07, 2004, box, cd, f150, ignition, makes, msd, racing, review, sum850600, summett, summit, vs