Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Toyota rusty Frame buy back

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:11 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could not get a good night sleep unless I got these in here

Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 PM
gixxer1000
New User
Looks like a good time to buy one off ebay or craigslist and make a few bucks off the buy back towards another vehicle. My 91 just blew the head gasket, 271,000 miles later and no rust on the frame what so ever.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by gixxer1000
Looks like a good time to buy one off ebay or craigslist and make a few bucks off the buy back towards another vehicle. My 91 just blew the head gasket, 271,000 miles later and no rust on the frame what so ever.

Good idea...lol..I would like to get about 10 of them cash them in like soda can deposits and then get a real truck....LOL

Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sglaine
The hitch looks worse than the frame on that one. Even the ball is rusty...I wonder if that guy ever washes that truck?

Tim

Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
The hitch looks worse than the frame on that one. Even the ball is rusty...I wonder if that guy ever washes that truck?

Tim

I have a few pics that the frame is worse..But I need to figer out how to get rid of the lic plate first..

Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Send them to me...I can black them out...i might not get to it tonight though...

Tim

Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Send them to me...I can black them out...i might not get to it tonight though...

Tim

No tim I will do it my self in the morning..I need to learn how to edit them..beside;s I am hitting a few more dealers while I am on the road..I might get some better pics..

Thanks anyways Tim for the offer

Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is going to be a million of them before it's over with!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:37 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

I wonder if there will be more in some parts of the country (ie Northeast) than others (Southwest)?

Tim

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
gixxer1000
New User
Toyota is giving you KellyBlueBook value for the truck in excellant condition, plus 1.5 times its value to buy you out of the truck.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I will be honest
1. Its good to see that they are doing this - however that press release is worded in such a manner to indicate that they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.
2. That press-release is an extremely delicately worded piece of crap. They made an engineering mistake/oversight (or cost-cut), in the most critical area of the vehicle
What I think is even more amazing is the one-eyed responses from their fans "good to see Toyota looking after their customers" etc. etc. This is what makes Toyota the best... WHAT? Having a frame that is going to fall apart on you makes them the best? Letting the issue sit for this long before doing something about it makes them the best? Having owners that would have lost significant amounts of money on trade in etc. as a result of this problem makes them the best?
3. This exercise is going to be one VERY expensive (I am talking Explorer/Firestone dollars here) logistical and political nightmare (how do you deal with prior repairs/failures etc. this is a huge precedent)... and as someone who has worked in the department of another manufacturer which would issue the same kind of notice, mentioning things like repair a frame etc. would scare me to no end! Which in my opinion only reinforces the fact that there is some pressure behind them doing it, be it NHTSA (most likely IMHO - given they are going to notify previous owners, which has to be done through the DMV, which needs some pressure from the NHTSA), a consumer group, or something...
Originally Posted by gixxer1000
Toyota is giving you KellyBlueBook value for the truck in excellant condition, plus 1.5 times its value to buy you out of the truck.
4. This in my opinion is one of the few saving graces of this whole program, at least they are doing it in the right manner - and looking after their customers here... I tell you what though, if they offered to "repair" my frame, I would quite happily tell them where to stick it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
I wonder if there will be more in some parts of the country (ie Northeast) than others (Southwest)?

Tim
I would say most definately. Having salt makes corrosion about 10times more likely than just water for example. With that said... it means Coastal cars are affected too.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by sglaine
No tim I will do it my self in the morning..I need to learn how to edit them..beside;s I am hitting a few more dealers while I am on the road..I might get some better pics..

Thanks anyways Tim for the offer
Can you do me a favour - and see if you can find the most serious areas on the frame that are affected and take photos of them?

I would imagine there SHOULD be some commonality between the failures, I am just curious to see where they went wrong on the chassis and how, i.e. wrong spec steel, not appropriate drain points, poor choice of sacraficial cathode etc.

I would also like to see what their definition of "perforation" is too.

Quick Reply: Toyota rusty Frame buy back