1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

mod suggestions/hesitation fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 PM
sbxworship
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mod suggestions/hesitation fix

I recently bought my second 97 psd: F350 4x4 crew, auto, 189k, 2" lift, 35"BFG's, K&N filter, 4" exh w/3" pipe, shift kit, bullydog 6 pos chip.

I've converted it for WVO in one tank, b100 in the other.

I'd like some advice on what mods to do from here. I'm considering the FPR shim and 10k mod at first, since they're cheap and easy, and I'm thinking I should probably get some gauges.

Also, for some reason, I can't run the chip at its highest level (has stock, economy, high idle, and 3 boost levels). It just craps out, and has no power. Second position is the best, and gives some pretty good power, but it still bogs down sometimes when I accelerate. It kicks in eventually, if I find the right spot in the pedal.

If anyone has some good suggestions, they would be appreciated!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:14 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Sounds like it may be running out of fuel. Have you changed the fuel filter and cleaned the little screen in the FPR?

Also check the fuel pump pressure as it may be getting weak.

A guru will be along to give you some more suggestions when you have the answers to the above.

Rog

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 PM
sbxworship
Senior User
The guy I bought the truck from said that he'd had the same problem of not getting good results from the chip's 3rd position.

I change the fuel filter frequently, as I run WVO. I haven't checked the FPR screen on this truck yet, though...

By the way... in 2nd position, it only hesitates if I hit the pedal abruptly. If I ease into it a bit, it revs up nice.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 PM
dieselphil
Junior User
don't mean to hijack the thread guys but were on the FPR is the sreen to clean?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM
sbxworship
Senior User

Just playin... drain down your level in the filter bowl, and then unbolt the fpr from the side. the screen rests in between the two parts where they separate, on the side of the conical plastic thing... I've heard others advise to clean it with a q-tip(cotton removed) from the inside of a partially drained filter bowl, but I prefer to just remove it and get it over with so I can clean it really good.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:22 PM
kawa
Postmaster
SCREEN CLEANING:

Remove the top from the fuel filter, remove the filter. Approximately 1-2 inches from the top is a hole about the size of your little finger.

Take a mirror and flashlight and look inside the hole, you should be able to see a shiny fine mesh screen. If it's black take a Q-tip and REMOVE the cotton GENTLY scrape and the crud from the screen. Put the filter back together.

TESTING FUEL PRESSURE:

There is a schrader valve (Like a tire valve) on the lower, drivers side of the fuel filter. With the engine running check the pressure, a little fuel will probably squirt out. It is best to use a liquid filled gauge but a regular tire gauge will work, it will be a fluctuating reading but should average between 40 and 70 pounds.

If it is low you may want to consider doing the BB mod.

Rog

Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 PM
dieselphil
Junior User
I just love you guys!