1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Dump Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:22 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dump Truck!

hey all. i am looking to buy a dump truck =). hopefully i can get some for-hire hauls, and will be using it on the farm, and in my landscaping business. the one i am looking at is a single axle IH 1600. it has a 7.3 IDI non turbo, and is in super good shape with only 87,000 original miles =). good bed, below CDL, interior good, NO RUST, good dump... $6900. good deal? i think it is, but what about yall? i wonder with a $50 local haul fee if i could ever make it pay for fuel and eventually itself?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Mileage part definately sounds good!
How heavy duty is it? (ex 1 ton, 5 ton, etc)
If it's over 1 ton, i know that'd be a good deal in Cali... but things are more expensive here in general. 2.5 tons+ i would think it'd be a great deal anywhere...

Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
its a 2 or 2.5 ton, ten or twelve foot bed

Old 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
ftowelding
Senior User
I bought a 1990 IH 4700 for $7500 four years ago. It only had 64,000 miles on it, but had 7000hours on the meter. I had to do a transmission, since I found out that the Spicer 5spd is a pos and was damaged due to extended pto running times. Apparently the Spicer 5spd doesn't get oil up to a couple of the critical bearings when the trans is in neutral. I upgraded it to an Eaton 10spd. Alot of work to do that swap. I also had to swap out the engine last summer after i lost a cylinder. IH medium duty trucks are a dime a dozen, probably the cheapest on the market used. The GVW will vary drastically even within a single model designation. I prefer airbrakes because they are dirt cheap to work on, but you may need a CDL in oyur state for an air brake truck. If this truck isn't what you are looking for with a little looking I am sure you can find a good match. Used Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. is probably the best online publication I have found looking for equipment. I think that truck you are looking at would be a good deal if it is mechanically sound. Also, if you are running around hauling I wouldn't hesitate to charge an hourly rate and fuel surcharge. My family's trucking company is charging 1.5% for every $0.10 per gallon over a fuel cost of $2.65 per gallon. This has become the industry standard as far as I know. The math works out exactly to the fuel surcharge Fed Ex truck freight I have been paying. Good Luck, Justin

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
79_250RangerLariat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 stroke man
hey all. i am looking to buy a dump truck =). hopefully i can get some for-hire hauls, and will be using it on the farm, and in my landscaping business. the one i am looking at is a single axle IH 1600. it has a 7.3 IDI non turbo, and is in super good shape with only 87,000 original miles =). good bed, below CDL, interior good, NO RUST, good dump... $6900. good deal? i think it is, but what about yall? i wonder with a $50 local haul fee if i could ever make it pay for fuel and eventually itself?
Sounds a little high to me, would have to see/run it first. Year? I paid $8 for my 96 350 4x4 w/8' boss plow. Ended up putting in a clutch and still have some synchro probs w/2nd gear. Bought a 75 ford 800 gas engine, 30k gvw about 8 yrs ago for 4k, sold it for $2500 when I bought the psd. Sure do miss the big bed though....
I've seen some single axle Ford dumps w/cummins, about the same size of my old 800, not sure of the mileage though, around $5k

Old 04-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Around here with a tiny littel truck like that you cant make any money. our SMALLEST truck is a White GMC Brig, Tandom duals, and gross is 46k. We dont even like to move it cause fuel is so much, and everyone undercuts everything, and it gets 7 mpg loaded. If you can make money with a little truck like that, then you have a better economy than we do.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
okfarrier
Senior User
If you have a good landscape business going then it might go hand in hand with it,but for just doing dumptruck work its all about the tons around here.The rock pits around here charge by the ton to haul short hauls and most of them have 10 wheelers with cheater axles.As far as price probably not bad .

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
i know the guy that i buy my lava rock, shredded topsoil, and mulch from. he said that he could keep me busy al least one full day per week, prolly 2 days+ per week running a truck that size. this is because many people need more lava rock/mulch than his ton dump will haul effectively, and yet not enough to move his real big trucks. he dont even have time to deliver alot of his stuff. he said that if the individuals didnt want to pay much for delivery he'd pay me on top of what the haul bill is. he said for up to like 10-20 miles from town he'd be sure i got like at least $40-$50 per load. i'd expect to get like 10 mpg al light as lava rock is. is this reasonable?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Your going to be running for free. Figure out the miles, with your fuel cost, this includes miles from your house to load, to the destination, then miles back to your house, add in your time for all the above miles, you really SHOULD carry commercial insurance, especially if they find out your hauling for hire, tags for the truck, etc... If your lucky, and I mean LUCKY, running two days a week all day long with 4 loads a day, you might CLEAR 50 bucks for 8 plus hours of work. MAYBE.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:33 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
well, i looked at it, and its a piece of crap. looks better than it starts/drives. GPs didnt work, which meant ether. then it drove like crap, and the tranny was full of slop. and the front end was bad. all tie rod ends bad, and prolly king pins. 2 speed axle didnt work. it looked NICE, but was crap. it almost wrecked us. my dad was driving it back and got up to about 45-50 and the thing had sooo much slop in the front it made a bee line for the ditch, went in the ditch, slid the back around cause we had like 4 inches of rain over the past few days. he brought it out, and it went the other way and was so loose he barely got cut back just before he went in the other ditch, then it jerked and about went back in the right ditch again. we went 30mph to take it back. it just had so much play in it that it would dart from one side of the road to the other. it was so loud i couldnt hear the motor well, but it had very little power, but i believe it may have been knocking. but, no blue smoke and the body, bed, dump and brakes were all real good. over all, it was just worn out.