1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2002 Supercrew, Problems so Far, Have you had them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 10:29 AM
F150 4X4 Larriat Screw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery of my 2002 f150 supercrew on October of 2001.
Here's the problems I have had so far. I'm looking to find out if anybody else has has this similar problems.

Some specifics about my truck:
2002 f150 4x4 Larriat supercrew / Dark Shadow Gray
Triton 5.4 engine
NOT the FX4, just 4x4 with chrome wheels and skid plates.
Moonroof and heated front seats
Limited slip differential.

I should first say, that I also own a 1999 Expedition Larriat with limitted slip not 4x4) with the Triton 5.4 engine. And some of my comparisons have been done against it since I have been totally happy with the performance and quality of the Expedition. Only repair that has been done to it is replace the window molding strips, and only for cosmetic reasons.

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS
I took the F150 in for Trans problems. I felt that gears were kicking in at the wrong times. Shifting was not smooth, and was what I called very 'clanky'. Dealer said they they put in a new TRANSMSION FRONT PUMP AND SERVICED THE TRANSMISSION. Shifting seems better, but far from being as smooth as the xpedition shifting.

TRUCK PULLS TO THE RIGHT.
I noticed that on a straight way, level ground, the truck would not stay staight, I could not let the steering wheel go for more than a couple seconds before I had to recover from going into the next lane.
Dealer said the adjusted the 'camber/caster' settings. It is now better, I still think there is a problem there.

SEAT WARMERS.
Had to have the Driver SEAT warmer element. Burned out early on for some reason.

INTERMITTENT RUBBING LIKE SOUND.
When I pull into the alley that leads to my house, I always hear some kind of rubbing sound at low speeds, I have not figured out what this is and have not addressed with the dealer yet. It did not just start, it has been there for a while. Have any of you heard this?

RATTLE IN DOOR.
If you open say the front left door (and leave open) and then open the
left back door and shut again, I hear a rattle sound. This happens in both the left and right side. I don't hear it while driving, only when the doors are open/shut. And it seems to be related to both front/read door being opened.

PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCES.
As I said, I also own a 1999 xpedition. With that in mind, I have been somewhat disappointed here. My expedition seems to have a much better get-up and go of the starts. Much better response when you step on the pedal at pretty much any speed. Steering is much lighter, very easy to drive. Not so with the F150. Now I realize that they are not the same vehicle, but I was under the impression that Engine/trans was similar if not the same. I should also point out that I have not had a 4x4 before (I realize truck is also somewhat heavier), therefore I don't know how much difference there should be.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the truck. But I have been somewhat dissapointed since I had my expectations set to the standards of the Expedition.

Old 06-07-2002, 11:35 AM
Superbru
Senior User

Welcome to FTE on your first post.

I too took delivery of my SC in October, 2002. My truck is very similar to yours, except that you probably have the Off Road Package with the skid plates.

I have had no problems with the trans.

No problems with truck pulling to right or left.

My heated seats work fine. (although I wish you could control the temp)

My guess on the rubbing sound would be normal disk brake pads rubbing the disks. I've heard this on my Mustang at low speeds in town.

I don't have the rattling sound you describe in the doors. However, I have heard a rattling sound coming from underneath the truck sometimes when a door is shut. It is a high pitched, tinny sound, kind of like a heat shield is loose or something. When the rain stops, I will slide under the truck and try to isolate it.

Performance wise, I have no complaints. My truck has 3.55 gears, which are adequate, but I think a lower gear ratio would give better off the line responce. A lower gear will make gas mileage worse, though, so the 3.55 is probably a good compromise.

Anyway, I am happy with my truck, and haven't had any problems worth talking about.

Hope your experiences improve.

Anyway, welcome to this site. There are a lot of good people here, with good knowledge about a variety of things.

Bru
2002 F150 Super Crew
Black 4X4 Lariat
5.4 Engine Ford Chrome Bars

1979 Bronco 351M 75K orig

Old 06-07-2002, 12:24 PM
F150 4X4 Larriat Screw
New User

Thanks for your reply. I hear you on the temperature control for the seat warmers. The setting seems to be either 'burn' or off. Although it is nice to have them .

Don't think my problem with the rubbing sound is what you suggested. It sounds more like if a tire was out-of-round, and it was hitting hose as the wheel turns.

Nice to hear you have not had major problems. I hope my experience improves as you said. I've bought other 'new' cars and in some instances there have been some initial stuff that needed addressing but have not really had a situation that made me say,I just would not buy this brand anymore. I've owned Ford, Chevy, Dodge trucks in the past. I'm not all that name brand loyal. I go for looks first, then evaluate my options/cost.

Old 06-07-2002, 09:17 PM
jakebird
New User

Hi Larriet.
I got my 2002 screw in January, its a larriet 4x4 with fx4 off road package, towing package, heated seats. I have not had any problems with my truck, but its only got 6400 mile so far. Like you said the heated seats can get hot, but I think that they are great. Hope things improve and you can enjoy a great truck.
Jake

Old 06-10-2002, 01:27 PM
p_white
Freshman User
Post 2002 Supercrew, Problems so Far, Have you had them?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Javman25
New User
I just bought my 02. It is a lariat. I love my truck but it has 99,000 miles on it. I have just noticed at low speeds what sounds like the brakes squealing. However when I hit the brakes it is still there. Is there a chance there is something wrong in the rear end or is it a brake issue. Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Bonkrr
Senior User
Mine is a 2003 F-150 Supercrew XLT 4X4. I sometimes hear a rubbing that i suspect is similar to yours...I'd almost equate it to if you had the truck in four wheel drive and tried to turn on dry pavement.....although not that severe. I have had no success in figuring out what it might be, but it happens even when I am not applying any brakes.
My tranny has been fine and shifts well. I find the truck to have gobs of power and could spin the wheels at will, were I so inclined.

I have had to replace a coil, which as I understand it, is a common issue.
I also have had an issue with the transfer case in that the truck will no longer shift into 4 wheel LOW. 4 Wheel high works fine and frankly, I'm unlikely to need low so it hasn't been a concern. Other than that, I changed the front brake pads and had to free up a couple of sliders on the calipers but the truck is now at aobut 160K (kilometers), so that's not out of whack as far as I'm concerned.