Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Need input on selling my 77 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
robertbenita
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with dakonthemountain! If it hasn't been registered/driven/smogged for a length of time, it seems it would be difficult to get it to pass in California. I am a south of you with a smog-free 1973, or I would come up and take a look. Out of California sale would probably be: easier for everyone involved, get more money for your dad's truck you oughta be keeping, and the bonus of not seeing it run around after you regret selling it. Seriously, nice truck and best of luck that you get what you need!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by dakonthemountain
idahof350,
You have a BEAUTIFUL truck and what you have done to sounds great! Please don't take this wrong, I just am curious, because I too live in California. If someone from California buys your truck how could you get it to smog without the original equipment on it based on the VIN?

I would LOVE to have your truck, but alas I would be unable to purchase.. but good luck! If nothing else, my post helps bump yours up! :-)
Dak
Smog laws are sickning ,,, just as bad as the IRS tax code!!! He said he is taking care of smog,,,, YIPPEE,,, having just had to do my 77, all it requires is an EGR,, and even without it even working it passes,, so if he passes the visual, most engines if they are somewhat fresh and tuned up, will pass easily. Having watched a few "smog technicians" if it looks good, ie: visual, and all hoooked up, (if it looks like a duck and quacks!) they are NOT going to dig deeper. And having talked to a few guys up here, if they can "say" it was all present and correct for THEIR inspection,,,, all is well.
I go to a shop who will do a pre-sniffer, to make sure all is within specs BEFORE he plugs all the data in, he is a stickler for a basic visual, I forgot and had an aftermarket air cleaner on my 77,,, he backed it out and told me to get that on before he would do anything, "it doesn't pass visual".

Sorry for the long windedness, NICE truck, and good luck, I would give a left hex nut for your rims!!! AND if I didn't already have one more than the agreed upon quota for trucks I would most definately be making a drive!!

Joe

Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 AM
idahof350
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something important to note on this truck from an emissions standpoint is that the 460 was an available option in 1977 on all trucks 6050gvw and over, so in California, the truck is legal. Ford simply never offered the 460 in a 4x4 short box. This truck passes both visual and tail pipe.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT: The truck gets started and moved around nearly every weekend. About once every 3-4 months, I take it out and excersize it around the neighbor hood and put a couple miles on it. I've basically kept up the maintenance, and kept the truck running well, so there is no reason it wouldn't pass smog on any given day.