1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Flashing OD light. Trouble shooting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM
jdman1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing OD light. Trouble shooting.

This past week my O/D light on shifter has blinking on my 97 F350 7.3 4x4 CC LB. I have about 137,000 miles on it. My SuperChip scanner says 1728 = tranny slip. I had FORD Dealer scan as well with the same code. It is weird though. I can pull a trailer or take off like a mad man and no flashing OD light for a day. But I can then slow down to a stop sign and it comes on. I would think if it was slipping somewhere that it would do it as I pull heavy or have my foot into it. I do NOT feel it slipping nor do I see the RPM fluxuating. FORD can put in a rebuilt tranny for $2500.00 that has a 3yr/100,000 mile warranty along with a $150.00 rebate. I just hate to dump alot of bling if it could just be something minor. I was thinking Speed Sensor on rear diff but would not my speedo and ABS light be going as well? That seems to be the symptoms in other discussions here on the speed sensor. Any suggestions?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The RABS may or may not make your speedo go funky but may still be the cause the OD light to flash. Remove it and wipe the crud off it, re-install and see if the light comes back. Also Check the RABS connector for corrosion or bad wires. Pull #9 & #22 fuses under the hood to reset the PCM.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
jdman1
Freshman User
I will do that tonight and see what it looks like. I am hoping it is not the tranny. This past fall I just pulled the pan and checked the magnet with nothing to suggest bad tranny or TC. I changed the filter and added MERCON V full synthetic valvoline. No issues until this past week. I know ford said they can put in a rebuild with a TC. Does Ford have a way to determine if it is just the TC or not once they get in there? I would hate to replace the tranny if just the TC is slipping and on its way out.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealers are only as good as there techs that work there. For the most part they will replace everthing due to warranty issues. Most guys here steer clear of dealers. Besides, they will only offer you an OEM trans & converter....not the best choice for pulling. Try to find a good trans shop that deals with HP stuff. A good choice would be BTS trannies but can get very expensive. A good triple disc TC can go as high as $1200 and a bullet proof trans $4000. Search this forum for more info

Have you checked the fluid level and condition? Also, check the connectors on the trans for loose/corroded ect. If the RABS doesn't fix your problem let us know.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
E4OD can only slip code while in OD.
It does not have a input sensor like the 4R100

Bill

Old 04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
jdman1
Freshman User
I tried the RABS and pulled fuses with no luck. I called a few local shops and it was around $3500.00 for a HD version of the E4od but could only get 12 month/12,000 miles warranty. For paying an extra $1000 to $1500 for Heavy Duty parts I would think they could at lease have the same warranty that a dealer has. Then I was without that truck for a week and that is my daily driver. I went with the Ford dealer for a rebuilt for about $2700.00 out the door and it was done in 6 hours. It comes with a 3yr/100,000 mile warrany (as of 4/1/2008) and I also am getting a $150.00 rebate through Ford Promotion ending 4/30/08. So for that kind of money, downtime, and warranty.....I could not refuse. Truck shifts and moves out like right now. Now I just need to find out where to get and install a Transmission temp gauge as well as finding a bigger tranny cooler. I do not have much room up front for my intercooler hogs up most of the room. Thanks for all the great input to my issue!!!!