Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Senior User

sand1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
50/50 diesel and wvo

can u mix filtered veggie oil to regular pump diesel 50/50??
Old 04-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Senior User

firemediceric is starting off with a positive reputation.
I hope so. I've been doing something similiar for the past two years. Search my screen name.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It is risky
Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Junior User

akghound is starting off with a positive reputation.
Use Caution here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88 View Post
It is risky
Very true .... Diesel and filtered/de-watered WVO will mix just fine. Running it cold can cause major engine damage. In my opinion it is best to run a two tank setup where the WVO is heated. Start and shutdown on diesel. Run on WVO only when engine is up to operating temp.
Ken Gardner
Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
akghound
You got it.
Blending is a gamble that can cost you an engine.

BTW where in Big Sky Country?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Advantages and disadvantages.
YOU will NOT burn up your engine, you MAY burn up injector pump/injectors if your not careful Where are you at, (warm climate, cool climate, etc.) I run 50/50 when its cold, then go all the way to 100 % in the hot summer, however, use common sense, I run Straight diesel when its below 32 degrees. However, I have enough miles on my old Ford and My old Dodge to buy both of them an engine with the money I've saved.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Locomotive breath

DISLFVR has a good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a good reputation on FTE.
Ok, got a question for you guys that run wvo with a 2-tank set-up and those that make biodiesel. If you process wvo to remove the glycerin and water and other goodies to make biodiesel and it's ok to burn, then running straight wvo in a 2-tank set-up still has all that junk in it right? So what harm would come by blending it in your tank? Forgive me, but after reading 'bout this stuff a couple years, still some grey areas. Thanks, Bill
2001 crew-cab DRW auto, 4x4, Gauges, 4" exhaust, Walker BTM, in-tank and pre-pump mods, Riffraff FRx, I/C boots. Ford AIS, LED mod, CCV mod, bellowed up-pipes, wicked wheel and other stuff. Life is good, Romans 5:8
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Junior User

Glycerin is a byproduct produced as a result of the chemical breakdown of VO when making Biodiesel. It is not an issue when running straight VO or WVO.
One is "Removing" it from the vetetable oil but creating it when the oil is "Brokedowm" in the Bio process.
The water and other goodies need to be removed from WVO in order for it to be safely used. This is easly done with filtration, heating and settling. So NO one does not run straight WVO with all the "Junk" in it with a two tank setup. No hamburgers of french fries allowed, they plug up the exhaust pipe!!
The risk of blending is that the WVO should be heated in order to burn properly. You stand a pretty good chance of engine damage if it is not heated. The colder the climate the greater the risk.
Good Questions, keep up the study and most of the gray will fade away.
Ken Gardner
Montana City, Montana
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
It will burn fine unheated, the problems are going to be getting it to the engine, through the injector pump and injectors, they will plug up if it gets to thick.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords View Post
It will burn fine unheated, the problems are going to be getting it to the engine, through the injector pump and injectors, they will plug up if it gets to thick.
Straight veggie oil will NOT run fine UNHEATED! I've had 2 engines at my shop that were run on unheated veggie oil and they are junk!!! Unheated WVO will coke up EVERYTHING. Both engines I tore down had the bores worn out from the coking behind the rings, which carved the bore out. There are nuerious studyes out there that will say the same thing. DO THE RESEARCH, I have, and I've seen the results myself.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior User

IceboxFX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
Straight veggie oil will NOT run fine UNHEATED! I've had 2 engines at my shop that were run on unheated veggie oil and they are junk!!! Unheated WVO will coke up EVERYTHING. Both engines I tore down had the bores worn out from the coking behind the rings, which carved the bore out. There are nuerious studyes out there that will say the same thing. DO THE RESEARCH, I have, and I've seen the results myself.

and your positive that this is because the WVO is not heated, and not just because it is WVO?

Truck pics

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/34...200x200Q85.jpg
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceboxFX View Post
and your positive that this is because the WVO is not heated, and not just because it is WVO?
Yes, I am. I have absolutely no problem with anyone that wants to run WVO that is well filtered, and waterless in a HEATED SYSTEM! I've read the studies, and know people that are using it in heated systems in excess of 100,000 miles with NO long term problems, BUT, I have seen the results of unheated WVO, and it's not pretty................

I have chosen to make biodiesel because of the cost to convert All my diesels to a Heated system. I have 3 Cats, 3 combines, 2 semi's, 4 irrigation pumps, and 6 pickups all running biodiesel. The cost to convert all these to a heated system is cost prohibitive for my ranch. I know there are people out there who say they have used unheated WVO for a year or two with no problems, but show me a LONG TERM study [100,000 miles+] on unheated WVO use that shows it's OK.............IF YOU CAN FIND ONE! The only long term studies on unheated WVO I've seen show that long term use will DESTROY a diesel engine. I have well over $1,000,000 invested in equipment for the ranch that I'm unwilling to take a chance on. I know I p*$$ off a few people when I say this, but NOT IN MY DIESELS!!!!!

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmandelux View Post
Do you attribute the damage to the thicker viscosity of the unheated veg oil?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Junior User

Viscosity relationship VO/Dsl

Compliments of Frybrid.com Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems -- Theory of Vegetable Oil Conversion

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akghound View Post
I'm very familiar with the Frybrid chart. I am active on that forum also. My question regarding the viscosity being the issue causing the engine damage has to do with my practice of blending. By blending I am reducing the viscosity. If viscosity is not the issue causing the failed engines, I may have more to worry about, although at two years everything still is working well.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM