Box Desgin!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Box Desgin!!!!

Alright its kinda late right now so i will add to this when i have time, everybody else feel free to add to this.

After seeing a few posts on box design and reading people atempts to get around box desing ive decided to do a write up on proper box design:

To start with there are 3 basic box designes:

Sealed
Ported
Bandpass

Sealed:
A sealed subwoofer box is just that sealed it has no ports at all. A properly designed box will have no airleaks what so ever. A typical 12" subwoofer in a sealed box requires about 2 cubic feet of airspace. The sealed box is usally easiest to build and delivers a punchy bass

Ported:
A ported subwoofer box has a round or rectangular port that allows air to move in and out of the box as the woofer is driven. A properly designed ported box will once again be completely air tight except for the port, If the port is rectangular it should be on one of the sides, round ports have precise meausrements that are required to get it tuned right. The ported box is more complex due to the sizing and lenght of the port to get proper tuning. Ported boxes give more of a rumbling bass.

Bandpass:
A bandpass box is a box with a wall in the middle that the sub is mounted on So there Is the back piece which the wires run out. the middle piece that the sub is mounted on and the front piece which is usally plexi.
There are many different variations of the bandpass box, with different combonations of vents and sealed parts. Bandpass boxes are the most difficult to build, due to the simple fact that there is more to be messed up. I belive that bandpass boxes can sound great and be very loud, but usually only in a certain fq area.

First choose what kind of room you have, what kind of sound you want, then go from there.

This is just a basic break down on the box types, i will add more when i have more time

Also admin: would like to request a sticky on this. If enough people agree with it

Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a quick add: a ported box generally requires more cubic space then a sealed.

great write up id rep ya if i could.