1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 AM
pagnew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miker67
I know of one instance in particular where there was a wreck involving a superduty and the driver alleged this was the cause(I know this individual personally). I also have had personal experience dealing with it in our corporate fleet. I doubt Ford will ever sit back and admit that this is a "major flaw" simply because it is cheaper to pay off the lawsuits that it is to go through the sweeping design changes and recalls. Regretably, that is just business. This is reinforced by the fact that though the problem exhits, the sypmtoms can be managed to the point that occurances are rare.

The most common solution for the older (05-07) trucks is to ensure that the tire pressure up front is adequate. This is not so much a solution, as it is a means of mitigating the chances of an incident. The front tire pressure on our trucks needs to be at least 55 psi or higher. Some individuals have also found improvement by uprading thier tires and/or shocks.

Next step is to have the vehicle realigned according to the TSB mentioned earlier in this thread. This does seem to help as well.

The last more permanent "fix" is the installation of a quality dual steering stabilizer setup. Based on the reasons I stated earlier, I would call this a fix for the symptoms, and not a fix for the illness, but it is a "fix" nonetheless, and every individual that has done so has reported that the problem has all but been eliminated.
Based on the fact that there has been many many individuals who have replaced tons of almost new components with no resolution, I am a firm believer that this problem in stock trucks is as I stated, a design problem and can not be trully fixed without rejiggering things a bit, but I also have come to see that through proper front end maintenance, and the dual stabilizers, the condition can be managed to the point I would call it adequate for safe daily use.
In the case of the original poster, his truck is not stock, and the stock geometry does not exhist. He, and others like him (with lifted trucks) who may have this problem should probably bypass the stealership and have the truck looked at by a quality 4x4 shop that is familiar with lifted trucks and the ensuing problems that can happen.
Well...sounds like it is what it is and it's really up to us - not Ford to 'band aid' th e rpoblem. Nonetheless, that's what I'll do, keep pressure up, alignment, and someday a new stabilizer. I am looking to get 305/70/18 tires (no lift) and hopefully won't experience anything like that again. It has happened to me twice in the last 2.5 years going 70mph while hitting a pothole so it is somewhat rare, but scary.

Thanks for your post miker67

Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM
luckeyjeff
New User
Thanks to everyone for the valuable information. Taking it into the shop next week to see what they can do for me. With the money I have spent, I shouldnt be scared to drive the truck, thanks again

Old 05-18-2008, 05:28 AM
BRAVOZULU9
New User
Jeff, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I just bought a used 06 F250 PSD 4x4 Lariat from a well respected Ford dealership in Orlando, FL about two weeks ago. The truck came with a nominal suspension lift that looks quite stock (I couldn't see any aftermarket upper or lower control arms or anything for that matter that was aftermarket) and also has stock tires. I hit the highway the next day and "Death Wobble" galore happened at about 70 mph! I thought the truck was going to come apart. Dealership told me it was the air pressure...

How has your problem been? Any improvement? If so, what have you done?

I'm hoping the dealership will take care of this being that they sold it to me already lifted...

Anyone else....ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-18-2008, 05:29 AM
BRAVOZULU9
New User
Sorry I forgot...the trucks has 12k miles on it

Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Seems that someone rekindled an April post. I wonder if the originator will follow up? Further, earlier this week, and Identical post was made, in this forum, and the problem was diagnosed as the lift istaller threw away the vibration dampner.

As far as DW in 2008's I still have yet to read about the problem without a lift. If the originator did not resolve as of this late date, maybe check to see if someone eliminated the vibration dampner shock.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:15 AM
BRAVOZULU9
New User
THanks

Hey man, thanks for following up so fast.

My trusk is a 2006 though, not an 08. Any word on the issue as of late? I'm still reading through all the threads.

A consistent feeling seems to be a FabTach Dual Stabilizer??? Man, I wouldnt mind the $150 but the $550 one is a bit tough to swallow....

Old 05-18-2008, 06:25 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I had an 05 that had the DW. I replaced the front stabilizer and put on new shocks all the way around, BILLSTEINS', and my problem was gone.

Click on TSB's above, and look for the solution Ford offers. Makes for some great reading. I have to agree that proper air pressure is adamant to solving the problem.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:29 AM
BRAVOZULU9
New User
Thanks again

I'll certainly bring it in for the TSB(s)

I suppose new shocks can't hurt either along with the dual stabilizer; will do.

Although, with only 12k miles, I'd hate to think the shocks have anything to do with it. Have you read anything else that Ford might be doing besides the standard TSB stuff? They should be looking at ball joints as well.

Thanks again!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you had the alignment checked?
Made sure everything is properly torqued down?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 AM
hubbardk
Freshman User
I keep seeing "TSB" being referenced, what does that mean?

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
hubbardk:

Look up at the top of each page on the Ford Truck Enthusists Forum: FTE:

You will see TSB's, recalls, full text:

TSB acronym stands for TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS which are published by FORD. About two years ago, I asked the same question. Welcome to the FTE. A bunch of nice guys, well most times we are!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM
david.brady
Elder User
Perspective

I had/ have the same problem with my 2005, CC, SRW, LB. I did a lot of research as well and found that the length of the truck and the length of the concrete slap used in freeway construction had a lot to do with the problem. The length of the slap in relation to the truck makes for the violent wobble. I started adding all of the suspension "fixes" and found none of them really worked, and many would eventually wear out anyway.

I found that by simply accellerating over or under the wobble. It usually happens around 60-70 mph give or take +/- 5. I would either do 75-85 or 55-65, depending on road variables. This was the only sure guarantee I could find, and again, has to do with the physics of the truck and road and frequency. Just my two cents.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
luckeyjeff
New User
update

I have now owned the truck for 2 months and have only had the serious wobble 2 times. I do however get minor vibrations coming out of long winding curves at highway speed. I am very aware of the situation arising as I can feel it starting in the steering wheel. So far, slowing down a little or accelerating seems to diffuse the problem. So far. I am taking the truck into the shop on Wednesday to have the lift inspected.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:20 AM
BRAVOZULU9
New User
Anything new from you guys on the wobble?
Alignments, etc. are not necessarily covered under warranty and speaking from experience of owning lifted jeeps all my life, replacing shocks, stabilizers, ball joints, getting alignments, etc. can get very expensive very quickly.
I'd like to think ford would take a look at the axle housing? I don't know anything about the engineering but as soon as one person gets hurt, its on and Ford has to know its coming. If they tell me to slow down or speed up to get through it at the dealership, we're going to have some words

Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM
luckeyjeff
New User
update 2

Here is the latest and greatest on my truck, a 2008 f350 crew cab longbox. As a recap , I bought the truck from a dealer on Ebay and I was unaware that the truck had a lift. I had experience the " make you crap " your pants Death Wobble a couple of times , and posted on this forum to see if anyone could help.
I have since taken my truck to a reputable shop that does most of the lifted trucks in my area. They are aware of the death wobble, unlike any ford service tech I have talked to, go figure. The shop recommends doing the "cheaper fixes" first to see if the problem will go away....
1. Retighten pitman arm , rotate and balance 4 tires......$312.31

2. Replace and renew drag link, alignment $477.29

The alignment could not be completed because the lift kit that came with the truck did not leave any room for castor adjustment. So, instead of ordering the new part to fix the castor adjustment, I have decided to have the shop install a brand new 6" Fabteck lift. This way, the truck can be stripped down to original, and the shop will be responsible for properly installing the new lift kit. The shop could not find out what kind of lift the truck has now, noname. So for $3000 more, I will have a new lift and the knowledge of knowing who installed it and who will make sure the wobble is gone for good. I did not intend on spending this money, but , as a Canadian, I figure I saved 15-20000 dollars buying it out of Texas. I also plan on driving this truck for a long time...unless I have to sell a kidney to buy diesel.......

Quick Reply: Death Wobble