Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How well does the Ford AIS flow?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
superfuzz87
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know? In comparison to stock and some of the other common replacement intakes (AEM, AFE, etc..) how well does the AIS flow? I know it supposedly offers superior filtration but does it offer enough increased flow capability to make it a performance upgrade over stock?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
powerstroke1869
Elder User
get the napa 6637 air filter HUGE filter and great filtration and cheap bout 50 bucks er so for the filter from your local napa

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by superfuzz87
Does anyone know? In comparison to stock and some of the other common replacement intakes (AEM, AFE, etc..) how well does the AIS flow? I know it supposedly offers superior filtration but does it offer enough increased flow capability to make it a performance upgrade over stock?
Most of the folks posting here that have switched to the AIS report less intake noise, slightly reduced performance, and slightly higher exhaust gas temps. That, to me, is a strong indicator that the AIS does not flow as well as most aftermarket intakes. One thing that everyone seems to agree on is that the AIS is by far the superior filtering element, but the price of that is performance.

Pick your poison

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Not quite as much as the 6637 for a lot more money.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I too am seriously considering the AIS. I am looking for better flow and better filtration over the stock set up. I heard they are using the AIS on the SD's that the military has in the Middle East.

Some folks report "droning" at highway speeds and a sucking sound (Darth Vader) when coming off the accelerator with the 6637. I feel sure that they flow better than the AIS but I like the idea of being able to have the filter minder still in place and the temperature sensor as well.

I may be different than most folks. Some are looking at more flow I guess because they have a high HP tune and are trying to peak out their performance and need that high flow to compliment their tune which is great. Or, maybe some may tow heavy loads on a regular basis. I need neither so I wonder if I really need the super flow characteristics of the 6637 mod. I am not saying the AIS is better than the 6637 mod and certainly not beating up on the 6637. It's works well from what I have read.

The 6637 set up is certainly cheaper than the AIS but I guess it comes down to what you want/need for your application. The element replacement on the AIS is around $90.00 I think, but you run them for a very long time. I have heard up to 40k depending on conditions so in the long run it might no be that expensive to maintain after all.

I can't say that the AIS is better than anything else out there but it is better than the stock filter system.

My .02

David

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HKusp
Not quite as much as the 6637 for a lot more money.
IMHO they are not the same intake systems and should not be compared. You have the old apples and oranges going on.
The AIS is a "better" filter that has the potential for more air than stock. With that being said, it is not designed and marketed by Ford to meet the demands of aftermarket tuning etc.
The 6637 is an aftermarket performance intake. I have never seen it's filtration levels, especially compared to the AIS. It does flow almost as much air as no filter at all (as shown in dyno runs)
The AFE flows a lot of air. IIRC the 6637 and AFE were a horse a piece. The AFE has the advantage of being a cold air intake (Especially important as low speeds. Do a search if you would like more on this.) This cold air box also cuts down on intake noise (esp bothersome when towing)

These are the only three systems I ever hear seriously mentioned. Some "other" people talk about S&B and AEM and this and that, but not one guy who can back up his mouth has much to say about them.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 AM
hdman6
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also was on the fence deciding what air intake to go with. I decided to go with the AIS. I also ordered the foam to install the fender mod with the AIS filter. This has made a huge difference in the air flow IMO. My filter minder has never went down. I have had my AIS for 2 years now and it still is super clean everytime I look at it. What I like is that it fits in the exact area as the original filter and comes with the hardware to install in the same spot. It looks real clean. Yes it does cost about 225 bucks with the foam filter mod but it sure makes a nice setup. I have drove through dusty areas floods, drivin wind and rain and never does it get any water etc through the fender. hope this helps Jeff M.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The AIS filter, itself, flows fine, and removes virtually everything harmful. It's the filter BOX that it's in that does not flow well.

As hdman6 has indicated above, there is something you can do to improve the box's ability to pass enough air to the engine without affecting its ability to filter.

Pop

Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
superfuzz87
Cross-Country
Thanks for all the replies!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
I guess I just can't resist yet another post on this subject, especially since my new (used) Freightliner came with an AIS type media and a cold air intake on the side of the hood. If MDT OEM's are using AIS type filters for engines with B50 service lives of 350K miles, that tells me something!

AIS Severe duty Filter
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ty-filter.html

See post #6 on the thread below for a comprehensive overview!

Which air filter
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ir-filter.html

Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
I guess I just can't resist yet another post on this subject, especially since my new (used) Freightliner came with an AIS type media and a cold air intake on the side of the hood. If MDT OEM's are using AIS type filters for engines with B50 service lives of 350K miles, that tells me something!

AIS Severe duty Filter
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ty-filter.html

See post #6 on the thread below for a comprehensive overview!

Which air filter
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ir-filter.html
Did you smell this thead??? How did you know it was here!?!

Good to see you around Gene.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And from out of nowhere arrives the guru of filters and data. It's good to see that Gene still frequents the forum! Really miss all those informative posts. Use to be a daily ritual to look for them!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sflem849
IMHO they are not the same intake systems and should not be compared. You have the old apples and oranges going on.
The AIS is a "better" filter that has the potential for more air than stock. With that being said, it is not designed and marketed by Ford to meet the demands of aftermarket tuning etc.
The 6637 is an aftermarket performance intake. I have never seen it's filtration levels, especially compared to the AIS. It does flow almost as much air as no filter at all (as shown in dyno runs)
The AFE flows a lot of air. IIRC the 6637 and AFE were a horse a piece. The AFE has the advantage of being a cold air intake (Especially important as low speeds. Do a search if you would like more on this.) This cold air box also cuts down on intake noise (esp bothersome when towing)

These are the only three systems I ever hear seriously mentioned. Some "other" people talk about S&B and AEM and this and that, but not one guy who can back up his mouth has much to say about them.
Scott, i got the newer version of the S-B intake around 5 or 6 thousand miles ago(i know, not alot of miles) and was worried about crap getting past my filter but i pulled off my intake tube to check and no dust whatsoever. I seen a post from another post(thanks izzy) showing dirt in the k-n airbox and i was worried about mine. So far no problems with the S-B and i will be the first to say it. I will continue to monitor it to be able to post back here and let people know if it,s worth it.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM
SC_Dave
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hdman6
I also was on the fence deciding what air intake to go with. I decided to go with the AIS. I also ordered the foam to install the fender mod with the AIS filter. This has made a huge difference in the air flow IMO. My filter minder has never went down. I have had my AIS for 2 years now and it still is super clean everytime I look at it. What I like is that it fits in the exact area as the original filter and comes with the hardware to install in the same spot. It looks real clean. Yes it does cost about 225 bucks with the foam filter mod but it sure makes a nice setup. I have drove through dusty areas floods, drivin wind and rain and never does it get any water etc through the fender. hope this helps Jeff M.
hdman6, I know how the foam sleeve fits into the filter. But, would you mind explaining how it attaches to the AIS? I am going to order mine I think and would like to know how it hooks up. Thanks.

David

Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
sflem849
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Scott, i got the newer version of the S-B intake around 5 or 6 thousand miles ago(i know, not alot of miles) and was worried about crap getting past my filter but i pulled off my intake tube to check and no dust whatsoever. I seen a post from another post(thanks izzy) showing dirt in the k-n airbox and i was worried about mine. So far no problems with the S-B and i will be the first to say it. I will continue to monitor it to be able to post back here and let people know if it,s worth it.
I will buy it now The (Fill in with your own word)'s on ford-trucks.com always mouth it up, but never have much to back it up. They have never even heard of oil analysis' over there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How well does the Ford AIS flow?