N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Stupid Question: Unlocking my pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid Question: Unlocking my pickup

I have now locked myself out of my truck twice in the last year. I'm going to buy a tool to get back in. It costs me $60 to get it unlocked each time.

What is that flat steel tool called that hooks the locking rod inside the door? I've always'd called it a jimmy bar, but a search for that name brings up a crow bar. Not the right tool. Handy, but only good for breaking the glass in this case.

Can I get a little help here? What is the right name for that durn thing?

Chet

Never mind. Slim Jim is the thing I was looking for. (I haven't used one in over 30 years.)

Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I bought a few of them at a swapmeet looooong time ago, I'm sure the package read "lock tool"...I'd send you one, but they've beeen...er, misplaced over the year.

Only place I've seen them forsale over the past several years now, is on Ebaymotors.

Search lock tool, lock pick tool, etc.

Or you could just get a spare key made and stash it in a good spot

Old 04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well, I'm too lazy to delete my post.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
PS, if you're talking about your F150...I don't think the slimjim will work...wife locked her keys in the truck a few weeks ago, the towtruck driver had this thing they slid in the window, pumped it up to spread things apart, then used a slimjim-type thing to get to stuff....BTW, he told her you had to be bonded (or similar) to get the little "pump-up-spreader" thing.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
It is my F150, but the tow truck driver used nothing more than a slim jim and opened it up (passenger side). It's gonna take some gentle practice. It has been a long time since I've used one and I understand that the tool can cause damage if used incorrectly on newer vehicles.

I'm open to listening to any experience y'all might have.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I keep a key hidden in a magnetic box on a hidden, but accessible part of my autos. Over the past 20 somethings years, I've only used it twice, but was happy it was there.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
It's a wierd thing. I haven't figured out why Ford decided to implement this security.

The first time I locked myself out, it was cold and the windows were frosted over. I thought, "cool, I can start the engine, take the remote door lock thingy, leave the vehicle running, lock the doors, and go grab another cup of coffee." Bad idea. Apparently, the key and the remote have to be in close proximity to operate. In any case, the remote does not work if the key is in the ignition, the door is locked, and the engine is running.

Buying a new key is like $150. It has an RFID chip in it that somehow mates to the remote or something. The dealers charge way more than it is worth. It pisses me off.

It's an '01 Ford. Maybe someone has a specific suggestion.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
I have a drawing somewhere of the tool the locksmith used to open my truck, it looked like a bent coathanger (but stronger) with a 90 at each end, he slid it in the door and turned it 90 and popped the lock in about 2 seconds, he told me a slimjim wouldn't reach the lock mechanisim. IDK if the 150 is the same but I'll look for it if you want.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by racerchick21
I have a drawing somewhere of the tool... I'll look for it if you want.
Relax. A slimjim works just fine. I can pick one up for $8 or so. No worries. I have two remote door lock controllers, but only one key (that isn't broken). Maybe someone can explain how Ford rigged these things a little better so that I break into my own truck the next time. Well, without a Slimjim. That is my next plan. I already bought a second key. I'm simply upset at how much it cost.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Cool, a slimjim won't work on mine, so there must be a difference.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Have you considered a credit card key?...I keep one so I can keep the truck running during the extreme cold and still lock it up when I go in a store, etc.

The other option is the foot...I got out of a concert at the LA Forum once, and realized that the keys were still in the car. 1am in Inglewood, CA...I was not going to hang out too long...lol

Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Not specific to your year, but is the door and ignition key the same?

Even if they are, and the key has a chip in it, there's no reason why the chip would be needed for the door...so...seems to me, you could have any place cut a new door key with your original pattern...and just use it to unlock the door?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Careful on the slim-jim.

They sometimes have a tendency of knocking off the actuator rods from the locks/cylinders.

They also can break those plastic clips that hold the actuator rods to the locks/cylinders.

I've sold many a rod actuator clip when I was a GM dealership partsman.

The main cause was Mr. Slim Jim.

I carry a spare set of keys in my other pocket, and one door key in my wallet.

As for the magnetic key holder, it's a bummer when you have to slide underneath
and it's raining, and you're over a mud bog.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
The door doesn't need a chipped key and you can have a spare cut anywhere as Mike says. I have a push button lock box on my Motorhome somewhere. They make combination style ones too for about $15. I can't remember now but that is better than the magnetic boxes that could possibily fall off or key get discovered and used against you. The nice thing about not programming the spare door key; is, if some one gets it they might get in your car steal the radio etc... but, they aren't making off with your car/truck.

Now, if you simply lose your key boating or something you'll be able to get into your car but, you won't be able to drive it away without the chipped key. Doh, that would suck !

Old 04-03-2008, 03:25 AM
sssilvernblack
Freshman User
what i thought was a drawback might be a good thing after all. can't lock the doors on my '72 without the key, so no lockouts unless i crawl out the rear slider

Quick Reply: Stupid Question: Unlocking my pickup