Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rust cylinder after boring and hon

Old 09-05-2002, 12:04 AM
rossmccallister
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 351w engine from a junkyard. The engine had a great deal of rust in the cylinders, but I took it to a machine shop and they felt that this could be boared out 30 over and this would remove all of the rust. After they started to boar the first cylinder, they realized that this engine was at 30 over even before they started. They took one of the cylinders to 60 over and they stopped, called me and told me that they thought this engine would require sleeving in several of the cylinders. At this point I had them stop and I paid for what they had in the engine, basically hot tanks charge and took it home.
I called around the area and found a machine shop that told me to bring it in and they would take a look at Block to see if it could be salvaged. The guy I spoke with at this second machine shop wanted to see if it could get by with going 60 over on all of the cylinders without having to sleeve.
I brought it in and as he was looking at the block I told him even if it needed to be sleeved, id rather sleeve several of the cylinders if that was what it would take to get it right.
Long story short……I just picked up the block and their looks like there are several pin marks or stains in the block cylinder wall. I pointed this out to the machinist and he told me that it was nothing to worry about. I just didn’t trust what he was saying. I have several pictures of the spots, but they are kinda blurry. Keep in mind that this is a freshly honed block that I will be reassembling. My questions are :
Is the machinist right, will this not affect the life or performance of this engine?
Will this cause me to burn oil

Old 09-05-2002, 04:44 AM
Quantrex
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, the first machine shop should have miked the cylinder and determined what you had before you left the block there and never should have gone +.060" without contacting you first. You might have had the option of going +.040" instead boring to the point of ruining the block. Most late production 5.0L and 351's won't take a .060" overbore without overheating problems. The only accurate way to tell how much a block can be bored is to have it sonic checked; simple visual inspection won't do it. I can't say about the stain marks, but if the cylinder still has pits and pock marks after boring and honing, the rings are never going to seal properly. I don't know where you are located, but check around for another block before investing in sleeving to see which is the better cost option.