2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using E85 fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:41 PM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow you guys earlier were claiming 12mpg on E85... thats actually really good. fueleconomy.gov only lists the 08 F150 4x4 5.4l E85 at 10 city. Thats compared to 15 city on gas, so your loosing 33% mpg going to E85. Around here E85 isnt nearly as cheap as what all you guys have said... last I checked it was like $3.29 and that was a few weeks back when gas was about 40 cents cheaper. So basically you save 10% cost per gallon, but get 33% less mpg. You do the math lol. Makes absolutely no sense, not even including the more frequent oil change interval, higher price of corn (about 3X as much here as it was 2-3 years ago) and the possibility of it deteriorating some parts of your motor a little quicker.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by V8EXPLR
I've posted my experience before in another thread. Here it is:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6082705

Now currently in the Denver Metro area, 85 octane is running $3.70-$3.75 while I have a good E85 station I frequent that is still saling E85 for $2.35, they blend their own fuel and only use CO based Ethanol. That's roughly $1.40 savings per gallon and a $42 savings over a 30 gallon tank. 4 fill ups in a month could save me $168. Even when I run 87/93 octane (never run 85), I still have to fill up 4 times a month.

Always have and probably always will change my oil at 3K miles, so I have no problem with the increased changes. I'm actually taking the truck in next Tue for a change at the dealer. $42 including tax for a full service oil change (semi-synthetic) and tire rotation.

F0rdzTuff:

I got those same black Weathertech floorliners for my '06. They work wonders and are one of the best investments I could have ever made. They wash off easy, dry quick and the the carpet is like new. You'd never know I've owned the truck for almost 2yrs. My wife wants me to get a set for her '02 Altima.

EDIT: I too have wondered about using a Tuner while running E85. Wonder if any manufacturer is looking into this. Any insight people have, let us know.
Diablosport has an E85 tuner.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm getting 12 on e85......and its currently all i'm running since its 2.84 around here ....still saving me quite a bit vs. gas

Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 PM
boomer08
Senior User
I've posted my experience before in another thread. Here it is:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6082705

Now currently in the Denver Metro area, 85 octane is running $3.70-$3.75 while I have a good E85 station I frequent that is still saling E85 for $2.35, they blend their own fuel and only use CO based Ethanol. That's roughly $1.40 savings per gallon and a $42 savings over a 30 gallon tank. 4 fill ups in a month could save me $168. Even when I run 87/93 octane (never run 85), I still have to fill up 4 times a month.

Always have and probably always will change my oil at 3K miles, so I have no problem with the increased changes. I'm actually taking the truck in next Tue for a change at the dealer. $42 including tax for a full service oil change (semi-synthetic) and tire rotation.

F0rdzTuff:

I got those same black Weathertech floorliners for my '06. They work wonders and are one of the best investments I could have ever made. They wash off easy, dry quick and the the carpet is like new. You'd never know I've owned the truck for almost 2yrs. My wife wants me to get a set for her '02 Altima.

EDIT: I too have wondered about using a Tuner while running E85. Wonder if any manufacturer is looking into this. Any insight people have, let us know.
I switch back and forth between regular gas and E85 and use a superchips tuner using both with no problems so far. Have been doing this for about 6 month. When using E85 I put the tuner on the 91 octane performance tune.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:18 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by boomer08
I switch back and forth between regular gas and E85 and use a superchips tuner using both with no problems so far. Have been doing this for about 6 month. When using E85 I put the tuner on the 91 octane performance tune.
I don't know what the llong-term effects of switching back and forth frequently between the 2 are, but the owners manual on the 2008 FF 5.4 warns not to do it frequently, on page 364.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:37 PM
boomer08
Senior User
I guess I should of said that I run a tank of E85 every other month. Whether Ford thinks that is frequent I don't know.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:42 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by boomer08
I guess I should of said that I run a tank of E85 every other month. Whether Ford thinks that is frequent I don't know.
I have no clue brother...They are ambiguous at best in their wording...

Old 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
Originally Posted by kameronth
Putting aside what will work in what I would not use the E-85 due to it knocking up food costs. This is off topic but I noticed you were from Fargo MisterCMK. I love the Fargo/Moorhead area. I would leave Vegas to live there if jobs were available and no Winter!
Right on with that. My wife is a ND gal. Hell I would give my right #*t to live there. But they pay like we are in the fifties.

Here is the thing, and if someone asks me to provide proof, get off your lazy A$$ and get the proof you need.

1. E-85 is cheaper at the pump
2. E-85 is made out of food stock
3. Because the USA and other countries who follow our lead, we are replacing FOOD crop for FUEL crop. Hence the huge unpredecented rise in food prices.
4. The USA and the rest of America, South, Mexico, Canada, and the Artic, and all our offshore areas around said countries, contain enough oil to put the Arabs into oblivion where they can kill each other like they have done for millenia.
5. It will take REAL leadership to forge forward against the powers to be, to do what needs done. (of which we have none now, and none is coming in the future.)
6. We will see 5 dollar a gallon gas in 2008. By 2010 it will be at 10 bucks a gallon.

Buy horses, get the sheep and goats ready. The age of the automobile is about to cease.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokestone52
Right on with that. My wife is a ND gal. Hell I would give my right #*t to live there. But they pay like we are in the fifties.

Here is the thing, and if someone asks me to provide proof, get off your lazy A$$ and get the proof you need.

1. E-85 is cheaper at the pump
2. E-85 is made out of food stock
3. Because the USA and other countries who follow our lead, we are replacing FOOD crop for FUEL crop. Hence the huge unpredecented rise in food prices.
4. The USA and the rest of America, South, Mexico, Canada, and the Artic, and all our offshore areas around said countries, contain enough oil to put the Arabs into oblivion where they can kill each other like they have done for millenia.
5. It will take REAL leadership to forge forward against the powers to be, to do what needs done. (of which we have none now, and none is coming in the future.)
6. We will see 5 dollar a gallon gas in 2008. By 2010 it will be at 10 bucks a gallon.

Buy horses, get the sheep and goats ready. The age of the automobile is about to cease.
Ummm...Do you have any proof of your claims? I need to see proof...(kidding)

Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ethanol has less energy per volume than gas. Sorry it's matter of fuel. Flex Fuel vehicles when E85 is detected does alter the fuel and spark maps. So you are out of luck.
You may find the difference in price buys you very little, since you will be using more fuel anyway.

BTW they are now stating to find that ethanol laced gas is starting to leave carbon deposits in the intake areas, and it is being investigated to see if your oil change intervals will now need to be stepped up due to by product and sludge.

My opinion the government was sold a bill of goods so others could really profit from it. Food farmers are now converting over to producing corn for ethanol.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by KevinM
BTW they are now stating to find that ethanol laced gas is starting to leave carbon deposits in the intake areas, and it is being investigated to see if your oil change intervals will now need to be stepped up due to by product and sludge.
I'd like to view the sources of this material.

Oil change intervals for E85 users is set at 3K miles, vs most new gasoline motors are now recommended every 5K-7K miles. Well, at least the newer Fords that I've seen.

Also, E85 have shown to remove carbon deposits. So potentially when a car is used to running gasoline, then is switched over to E85, any carbon left from the gasoline is removed via E85.

"AED has examined E85 fuel use from every angle and says the corrosion problem "actually occurs more on initial usage as the E85 acts as a solvent that cleans out any built-up residue, rust, or other contaminates present in the fuel tank and lines." This dissolved sludge runs right through the fuel system directly to the carburetor. So before using E85, be sure to thoroughly clean the fuel tank, filter, and lines. Some E85 providers may use tanks that held fuel oil previously or might contain some water, so try to buy fuel from a high-volume dealer that has a dedicated E85 storage tank."

Car Gasoline - Ethanol For All - Mustang & Fords

Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I gather you don't watch the news! It was on national news a couple of days ago.
You are right ethanol does remove carbon deposites, but we are not talking about it in the raw form of ethanol, we are talking about burnt ethanol. How else do you think the intake manifolds and throttle bodies are getting caked up! It's the PCV systems resending byproduct back through to be mixed with the incoming air.
Based on your comment that oil change intervals are reduced if using E85 backs it all up! I guess the auto manufactueres realize there could be a sludge issue. Sludge is caused by engine blow by of burnt fuels.

Your quote only mentions E85 in liquid form within the delivery system resutling in cleaning action. States nothing about the burning of E85, resulting in cleaner byproduct or reducing carbon!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
Originally Posted by KevinM
I gather you don't watch the news! It was on national news a couple of days ago.
You are right ethanol does remove carbon deposites, but we are not talking about it in the raw form of ethanol, we are talking about burnt ethanol. How else do you think the intake manifolds and throttle bodies are getting caked up! It's the PCV systems resending byproduct back through to be mixed with the incoming air.
Based on your comment that oil change intervals are reduced if using E85 backs it all up! I guess the auto manufactueres realize there could be a sludge issue. Sludge is caused by engine blow by of burnt fuels.

Your quote only mentions E85 in liquid form within the delivery system resutling in cleaning action. States nothing about the burning of E85, resulting in cleaner byproduct or reducing carbon!
Watch the news everyday. Maybe not always national news, but at least the local every day. I've heard speculation of potential issues, but never seen any statistical proof otherwise. So if it was on the national news only a few days ago, find a link to provide proof of this research.

Now E85 on average is 105 octane, while normal stations offer 85-93 octane gasoline. Higher octane provides a cleaner burn. So if E85 is caking up manifolds and intakes, why aren't we seeing the same result from gasoline since it does not burn as efficiently? As the article stated, most these by products are from deposits left by gasoline that are being removed after using E85.

I don't doubt what you are saying to be true, it just could be. But need some information backing your claims. Otherwise it's simply speculation that has been untested. Heck, Indy Car drivers are using it, claiming no issues. Some people in NHRA are using it, no problems. I'd think they'd notify people if the negatives out weighed the positives.

What You Need to Know About E85 Ethanol Alternative Fuel - Hot Rod Magazine

Domestic Fuel » Archives » Hunter-Reay Says Ethanol Pump Promos Fight Negative Propoganda

Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Now E85 on average is 105 octane, while normal stations offer 85-93 octane gasoline. Higher octane provides a cleaner burn. So if E85 is caking up manifolds and intakes, why aren't we seeing the same result from gasoline since it does not burn as efficiently? As the article stated, most these by products are from deposits left by gasoline that are being removed after using E85.

I don't doubt what you are saying to be true, it just could be. But need some information backing your claims. Otherwise it's simply speculation that has been untested. Heck, Indy Car drivers are using it, claiming no issues. Some people in NHRA are using it, no problems. I'd think they'd notify people if the negatives out weighed the positives.
Gasoline and ETOH don't get along very well, being that they are not completely miscible with one another. It's a difficult mix at best. Yes, ETOH is an excellent solvent but, like you, i'd like to see some long term test results. However, I wouldn't trust Indy car crews or NHRA as those guys tear down those engines after every race so they couldn't really tell us anything about long term uses/effects.

Just a guess, but because most of the E85 engines out today run both regular and E85 the tuning of them would not be completely ideal for such a high octane rating. I wouldn't doubt that that the combustion chamber is hitting the exhaust stroke before the E85 is completely done or completely used. If that is the case you could expect to see some gunk and possibly the rational for the increased oil change interval. I would think the manufactures would be concerned with ETOH piston blow-by and thinning out the oil.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Diablosport has an E85 tuner.
only for GM trucks right now

Quick Reply: Anyone using E85 fuel?