Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 AM
New User

Sideswipe is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 F150 Stalls/won't start when hot

Hello, I'm new here and having a problem with my 99 F150 that is driving me nuts. The truck is a 4X4 supercab, with the 4.6 motor, 141,000 mi. During cold weather it runs great, but as soon as the temp gets into the upper 70's or higher I have a recurring problem. The truck starts right up and runs well, but when it is shut off it will not restart until it has sat for over an hour. It has also stalled at speed on the feeway when the outside temp was in the upper 90's to low 100's. So far it has always restarted after sitting for awhile. I took it to the dealer and they kept it for 3 days, but could not duplicate the problem and found no codes in the computer. I replaced both coils on the advice of someone who said he had a similar problem, but it is still not starting after shut down when hot. My next thought is to change the PCM, but that is a big chunk of change to be guessing about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Post Fiend

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
Now don't start throwing parts at it but do some testing when it has the problem.
First, is there spark? If no, look at he crank position sensor for going open and it's plug.
Next, is there fuel getting to the injectors?
If no, look at the cam position sensor. It times the injection.
Fuel pump failure etc.
Definately is a temp sensitive problem.
Also when it happens, is there any code set?
Effort first or you will spend lots of money before it's fixed by luck.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Junior User

Volfandt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like

Almost sounds like fuel vapor lock but I don't know if these computer controlled fuel injected powerhouses are subject to this old timey problem.....

Likes been said, when it won't start, troubleshoot to determine if it's a lack of fuel or a lack of spark then go from there.
Good luck
Old 03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
New User

Sideswipe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the replies. When this first started I thought it was a fuel problem, too. So I have been through the fuel system completely. R&R'd the fuel filter. Pump is putting out good pressure, etc... I have not checked for spark yet. I guess that will be the next thing I do when it happens again.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 AM
New User

Rickster123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same thing exactly going on with my 2002 4.2 truck. If in heavy traffic, it gets to ride on the tow truck home$$$$$$$$. It makes me very paranoid to drive more than 5 miles on a warm day!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Post Fiend

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
You have to be prepared to trouble shoot when the failure occurs.
After it cools is just guessing but often this is the way it goes.
Try to see if spark is missing when the failure occurs.
You have to find a direction to work in.
No power, spark or no fuel.
No power means a fuse seating, a PCM relay, crank sensor etc. issue. Then nothing works.
I am going through this now with an Oldsmobile. Fails like clock work when the temperature outside is hot. It's difficult to reproduce the failure otherwise.
These fuel injection systems never vapor lock because it's a feed /return line system under high pressure. The low pressure side has either 6, 8 or 10 injectors that open so no chance of vapor lock on high or low sides.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:46 PM
New User

Adakar is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check and clean the IAC Valve happens to me time ago and was the problem easy to fix

Grino's Throttle body cleaning how-to (sorta) - Ford F150 Forum

check the pictures.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Posting Guru

Dr. Dirt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adakar View Post
Check and clean the IAC Valve happens to me time ago and was the problem easy to fix
just curious how an Idle Air Control Valve has anything to do with a truck that dies going down the road at highway speeds.

2002 F-150 Lariat Supercrew FX4, 5.4L 2v, 3.55 LS, BFG All-Terrains, MagnaFlow muffler with duals, all LED lights, Pioneer headunit, Kicker sub and amp

"You got to drive that Ford like it's a stallion."-Jack Ingram
Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM
New User

That was the reason of my failture, the engine begin to stop anywhere at this point I just wanna put a box of TNT in the truck and make her the honors......
But I remember the same problem in a mazda so I take of the IAC Valve and was very dirty, I left the valve in carb cleaner 1 night and problem fixed.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Post Fiend

Comment on your IAC; the reason your answer is suspect is as follows so bear with the point.
The IAC is an intake air bypass controller that controls airflow around the throttle plate for idle control.
It is electrical in operation by the computer to control idle only.
This is why the question of shut down during driving is asked.
With throttle opening during driving it has no further function and cannot shut down the motor. It could 'normally' even be unplugged 'at that time' and not cause any issue until your were to shut motor down and tried to restart when it is needed at that time, for idle control.
Since it is an electric control, soaking was not a good idea.
Now if the motor stalls coming to a stop and the IAC was stuck closed or open circuited when it needed to regain and maintain idle control. then yes the motor can stop under those conditions.
I understand you would think it was your trouble but you did something else unknown that was the real cause or was it low speed near idle stalling your referring to?
Can you see the differences?
I answer because many people read these answers and benefit from it.
Good luck.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 AM
New User

Bluegrass Have the point

My english is not perfect and I´m at work right now So I can´t give long answers.

I use Carb Cleaner, but my IAC Valve was in very bad shape, so have 2 options, clean it or buy a new one.

I thing this units get dirty cause the "green mode" of the engines today, maybe an oil catch tank can help to reduce the problem.

Cheers
Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM
New User

trpr99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey there, i am having the same problem with my 99 expedition, and the dealer said it was the pats system causing the problem. they replaced the instrument cluster and transponder and it works great except when it is still hot outside. and now they say that they don't know what is going on, but that it is still pats system problem. now i paid a lot of money for it to still be unpredictable when it will start.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Post Fiend

tpr you need to start your own thread on your issue because it's not the same as in this thread.
Basically your dealer did not prove what the cause of your no start is but is still sticking to the unproven original position for which it cost you a lot of money for no good outcome..
Find another dealer or shop that will trouble shoot instead of doing expensive guessing.
Good luck.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 PM