1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric Fuel Pump / 1951 F6 / 254ci 6-cyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 PM
danhoward
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Fuel Pump / 1951 F6 / 254ci 6-cyl

Hello,

I have a 1951 Ford F6 truck with the 254 cubic inch 6-cylinder flathead engine. When I bought this old truck it had been sitting for about 10 years. It has 38,000 miles and was a Texaco refinery fire truck for many years. It now has a flatbed on it.

The original mechanical fuel pump was removed before I purchased it and it had an electric fuel pump mounted on the passenger side fender well. But, the fuel line from the fuel tank to the carburetor was FULL OF LAQUER / GOO and the carburetor was clogged up as well. I did however get the engine to run very well using a temporary gravity feed system just so I could determine if the engine was worthy of bringing back to life. Again, the engine runs great and does not smoke.

I pulled the electric fuel pump off and had NAPA order me one from cross-referencing the numbers on it. I bought the replacement which is a Carter rotary pump that puts out 4 to 6 PSI according to the specs and has a fuel flow of 72 GPH max..... ( I suspect this high volume of flow is probably my problem). The carbeurator was also overhauled with a new carb kit. It has a Holley 897 single barrel (downdraft) carburetor on it.

My problem is the fuel pump is putting too much fuel to the carburetor and it is flooding the engine within a few seconds BIGTIME. I installed a $25 Speedway fuel pressure regulator but it seems to be no good in regulating the pressure down to the 2 to 2.5 PSI range that this carburetor calls for. The MAX PRESSURE for this carburetor is supposed to be 2.5 PSI.

My guess it I either need a lower pressure fuel pump with a lower volume of fuel flow. Or, maybe I need a LEGITIMATE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR that will keep the fuel pressure down to 2 to 2.5 PSI.

Here are my options:

(1) Install a lower pressure fuel pump

(2) Install a BETTER (one that works) fuel pressure regulator
(I have heard that Holley makes one that goes from 1 to 4 PSI... anyone have experience with it?)

(3) Maybe go back to the original style mechanical pump. (I hate to do this since I have gone to all of this work for an electrical system.)

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN IDEA ON HOW I CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM? AS I NEED TO USE HIS TRUCK.

Reckon it is the elec fuel pump having such a high flow and high PSI?

Both fuel pressure and fuel flow rate need to be lower?

Fuel pump worthless??

Any suggestions on make & model of pump and regulators?

Any help greatly appreciated. Feel free to reach me at: Dan@HowardAircraft.com
or at 918-260-7728

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Dan Howard
Tulsa, OK

Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
is the float set correctly? If not that may be causing you problems.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM
danhoward
New User
Float adjustment / 1951 F6 fuel problem

F6 Guy,

Honestly, I am not sure if the float is set correctly. When the fuel pump comes on it fills the carb up with fuel then gas starts to seep out of the top gasket on the carburetor.

I read the Ford manual I have and it said to adjust the brass tabs by bending them so the float shuts off fuel at the correct time. I haven't done this yet as I didn't want to screw anything up.

The man that overhauled the caburetor for me works at the refinery as a mechanic and has been overhauling carburetors for 28 years so I feel he most likely adjusted it correctly. My gut tells me that the fuel flow and pressure are too much for the float valve to shut off. Could that be the case?

Thank you.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
Its possible to get a bunk regulater. the carb sealing surfaces might be warped. Its an easy fix just rub the mating surfaces over some sand paper laying on a flat surface until the paper is contacting 100% of the surface. Sometimes it is necessary to adjust the float several times to get it set right. But the gasket should not be leaking regardless.