Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Bio Diesel, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgeny
bio is great for me! because it costs me about a 1.30-1.40 a gallon to make!! that includes my cost for ingredients and my mileage to go and pick up my wvo!! plus- i heat my house with it too!
So what is your time worth? IOW what would you sell your bio for?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MODIFY A TRUCK TO RUN BIO!!!!! Unless your truck has rubber lines because it was built in the 80's.

Sorry, but I'm tired of the bad gouge going around...... you only modify the FUEL SYSTEM if you are running WVO. The actual engine never needs new injectors, this and that, or whatever else.

Check out the alternative fuel section for the proper gouge....

Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
crosbo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, Bio-b-good.

I started running B20 from the pump, and splash-blending on my own about 2 years ago...and it certainly helps my engine to run nice and smooth. The only time my engine gets noisy, is when I was really low on fuel and had to refuel with only the ULSD.

These days (exorbent fuel prices), I run a blend that is more in the range of B40-B50...splash-blending on my own.

As for sending as few $$'s as I can to the big oil companies...and most certainly not wanting to help Big Oil continue to generate record quarterly profits...I will continue to decrease my overall cost by blending my $3/gal Bio with the $3.89-$3.95 ULSD overpriced fuel that is available in my area.

...and my $3/gal...is going to a local brewer, who uses WVO to create the Bio that he makes available...and this is how he makes his living...so I don't mind the 50 cent jump in his price over the last year...and his brew is also not helping to contribute to higher food costs due to increased competition for feedstock.

In fact, with two girls in college and two boys in high school, I'd be remiss if I didn't use the Bio to lower my fuel expense, while also helping to improve our environment.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
fphilli11
Freshman User
Thanks to all. I will give the BP bio a try. It all sounds good to me...

Old 04-01-2008, 02:17 PM
stangman516
Senior User
Originally Posted by aklim
The only shop we have here will sell it to you at 70 cents above D2 prices but to get that special discounted pricing, you have to join their co-op for $150 a year. Otherwise it is about a buck and some change more
I just joined a co-op out here in norcal. it's $15 a year and they sell biodiesel from Pacific biodiesel at the cost they get it for (its at $3.99 a gallon right now) which is .20 cents cheaper than D2
So far my truck is running quieter, and it definitely smells different i'll have to wait and see if there's any change in mileage

Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by stangman516
I just joined a co-op out here in norcal. it's $15 a year and they sell biodiesel from Pacific biodiesel at the cost they get it for (its at $3.99 a gallon right now) which is .20 cents cheaper than D2

So far my truck is running quieter, and it definitely smells different i'll have to wait and see if there's any change in mileage
That I can go for.

I only care about it running quieter if it is meaningful. If it was noisy before because of the inadequate fuel system and the RR helps it, fine. If the RR hadn't changed the noise but gave it better fueling, I'd still go for it because I know that it is having a fuel starvation issue because of the way #8 gets shortchanged.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I filled up with B20 for the first time last night. D2 runs about $4.199 around here (and thats a $0.20 drop over a weekend a half ago). i found B20 for $4.079 last night. Quieter, heck yes!. My wife and I could actually have a conversation standing at the front of the truck without raising our voices.

I'm sold.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:12 AM
fphilli11
Freshman User
Fuel filter

If I change my fuel filter after three tanks, how often after that do I have to change it. They are suppose to go 15k before change by the book....

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fphilli11
If I change my fuel filter after three tanks, how often after that do I have to change it. They are suppose to go 15k before change by the book....
With bio you don't need to change your maintenance schedule.

The first few tanks of bio can make your fuel filter pretty dirty due to the fact that bio is a solvent and cleans out the system. However, not everyone has a lot of build up and residue in their fuel tank/lines. Before ULSD, it was pretty common to see bio quickly clock up a fuel filter as it cleaned the system out. Now with ULSD, that doesn't happen as much. ULSD is not as "dirty" as the LSD we had just a couple of years ago, so there's typically not as much buildup.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
After my 1st tank of B20.....my fuel filter was pretty much spotless. I had maybe 5,000 miles on it since the last change though. I guess my tank was pretty clean to start with. I plan on about every 10 tanks I'll use bio.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Rufus
New User
The Bio and Veggie oil has less BTU's than #2, so less power and usually less mileage. Possible gel problems in cold weather. I am using used oils (motor, hydraulic, transmission fluid, etc.) filtered very well and mixed with diesel. I also run the mixture through a processor to clean out undesirables. I have been doing this for a year and had great luck. Run 30 to 50% used oil to diesel. No loss in power, good lubrication, and no loss in mpg. I have a web page and a video about it if anyone is interested on our Archers-Friend.com site. Currently each gallon of oil I use saves me $4.50. All of my costs has been returned and I am making (saving) money now on fuel cost.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
MikeSDK
Elder User
I have run B20 exclusively for the past full year. Absolutely no issues at all.

even in winter when it got reasonably cold, I'd either add some Diesel Kleen or make sure I plugged up the truck. No issues.

I've posted this before, but I also see slightly lower EGTs with B20 over regular diesel. Not a huge difference, maybe 50* or so. But I watch pretty closely.

I enjoy it because of the lubricity benefits, readily available in my area, same price as regular D2, etc.

I change fuel filters about every 10- 15 K or so.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 AM
tholt34
Senior User
I just started running bio this past week. The place here that sells is a 50 dollar membership a year. Its B70 and its 3.89 a gallon. I gotta say , i like how quiet my truck seems to be now. Kinda like the smell as well. Can't say if i really tell any difference in mileage or anything. Haven't been really running it long enough yet.

I also have noticed it seems that my EGT's seem to run a little lower with the bio diesel.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 AM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is interesting, I'm gonna likely have questions in the future.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Biodiesel burns slower than D2, thus lower EGT's and WVO is so thick, that if it is not burned properly, it will build up crap all over the valves and pistons.

Quick Reply: Bio Diesel, good or bad?