2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge vs MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Shovelhead 93
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge vs MPG

Does the Edge help with gas millage??

Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by Shovelhead 93
I don't know for sure, I drive it too aggressively to find out. I get about the same as before the Edge, just have more fun getting there.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:49 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by Shovelhead 93
Everyone on here with one says they have had a slight increase in mileage, with improved responsiveness and power. The mileage is if you keep your foot out of the gas though, but the power is there if needed on Level II which is the tow mode. I'll let you know in a few days. I'm going to the loacal 4X4 store in a bit, and I'll post my experience.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Unhappy

Ok...So I bought an Edge Evolution, and got the "newer version" of it because even the box says 2004 to 2008 on it, instead of 2004-2006. It came with a black dock, which is fine because I have a Lariat with black leather.

I was almost on "E" when I bought it, so I stopped off and bought some 89 octane fuel which is the top tier up here, in Colorado. You can get 91, which is like 110 octane in California.

Installing it was easy after checking for updates, and it was wired in, and running in about 10 minutes. Went through the whole key on, key off, pick a program thingie and started off on Level I, which is the xmsn only (econo-mode). It made it shift a little sooner from gear to gear, so I'll imagine that's where a fuel gain would come in. I didn't play with it for more than about 25 miles.

I pulled over, shut the truck off, and programmed it for Level II (Tow mode). I got what felt like a little more power, but that's because it was shifting in the sweet spot of the power band. I wouldn't know about the mileage. It would spin the tires a little, but the 3.73 LS prevents a lot of it, and I'd rather not burn up my clutch packs in it. There was a lot less hesitation in the vehicle though, and what seemed like gobs more torque. Time for Level III.

Programmed Level III into the puter, and fired it up. Put it in gear, and floored it. Felt pretty much like Level II, but had a little longer legs between the shift points. I'd say I had the full 35hp gains, and probably the 50 lb/ft of torque behind it too. Looking at the dyno's from Edge, level II and III are really close together on the torque bands.

I ,set it up and ran it with the dealer from an unnamed 4X4 shop in Fort Collins who was looking at one for his 2008 also. We were impressed with how easy it was to set up, and how easy it was to switch programs. I was also impressed with how easy it was to re-flash the PCM back to stock settings, unplug it, and put it back in the box. The dealer gave me my money back, and said he wasn't going to be getting one either.

While it had more torque, less hesitation, and probably some more HP, it wasn't like putting a bottle on it, turbo, or blower. I'm not sure if the altitude up here plays a lot into it, but I'd imagine my truck would feel a lot different at sea-level anyhow. All of my other vehicles always have.

That said, best of luck to all who have the Edge, and to all those who will be buying them in the future. Pretty neat toy, but the gains weren't justified for me.