1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Bed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Tough Bed

By now, many of you have heard about the new 'Tough Bed' option on the 2009 Super Duty pickups. It is a 'military spec.' factory spray-in bed liner. A few months ago, I was having a spray-in liner applied to a classic truck I restored, and I asked the guy about the factory Nissan spray in liner. He told me it was pretty much a joke, that Nissan may have been using a good material but they sprayed it on so thin that it did a poor job of actually protecting the box. He claimed to have re-sprayed several Nissan Titans as a result. What I find a bit disturbing is that Ford is actually advertising 'Tough Bed' as a factory spray in liner that can offer the same protection as an aftermarket job, but is ONLY 1/3rd. AS THICK! Now, without a doubt my spray-in man is a bit biased, but I am not going to order the 'Tough Bed' option on my next Ford truck until I am absolutely sure that it really can protect and last as long as an aftermarket job. I have a feeling it can't.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Guess we'll have to wait an see...

Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
What I find a bit disturbing is that Ford is actually advertising 'Tough Bed' as a factory spray in liner that can offer the same protection as an aftermarket job, but is ONLY 1/3rd. AS THICK! Now, without a doubt my spray-in man is a bit biased, but I am not going to order the 'Tough Bed' option on my next Ford truck until I am absolutely sure that it really can protect and last as long as an aftermarket job. I have a feeling it can't.
What makes you think the Ford liner will only be 1/3 as thick? Just because Nissan does it that way? Does not seem like a reasonable assumption to me. Monsta is right. We gotta wait and see. And yeah, your aftermarket guy is probably scared, and rightfully so, and has every incentive to bash the factory job.

Also, thickness is only one critreria to judge a spray-in liner. Why must we assume thicker is better? I think complete coverage, adhesion, surface texture, and material durometer are more important to me than just measuring thickness. We'll have to wait and see on all those things.

Just think you are jumping the gun on bashing the Ford option.

Bill

Old 03-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Raining111
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how do you know how thick the Ford spray in bed liner will be? Nissans are one thing, but it doesn't mean Ford will do the same thing.

Also, what material are they using for the spray in bed liner--is there any fiberglass particles in there?

I haven't done any research on the matter, but it seems like there are alot of variables in there. I personally don't use a spray in liner, or a plastic liner for any of my trucks, I just don't see the need.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
ageel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a link about Tough Bed
http://ford.digitalsnippets.com/2008/03/28/tough-bed/
and it does say one third thickness.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Raining111
I personally don't use a spray in liner, or a plastic liner for any of my trucks, I just don't see the need.
If you haul farm materials(especially fertilizer) you would see a need. I have seen my grandfather's old 85 f250 diesel round the gooseneck hitch eating away because he didn't have a bed liner(at that time it was only made from rubber or plastic) and when I got the truck for high school the area the hitch was pretty much useless as it was only hanging on by so much metal. Now that may not apply to you but there is definately a use for liners.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
wildfire68
New User
anyone have the tough bed spray in liner? is it worth it or stick with line-x?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:33 PM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
I heard because of the strength was the reason they were able to go thinner and it was still more durable or just as durable compaired to a Line-X or Rhino Liner. I have not seen any first hand data. I have a Rhino on my 08 and love it. Only time will tell

Old 12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I have a Rhino and previously had Line-X, and it would not have bothered me if either one was a little thinner. As long as it does not bubble or peel or otherwise deteriorate. When I slide a tool box across the bed, I don't want to peel paint off the bed, and I also would not want to peel liner off the bed. Other than that, thinner is okay with me.

I'll be interested to actually see one of the liners in person. I think that will tell me a lot about whether I would want it instead of an aftermarket. You might want to try this question over in the '09 F150 forum. There are some new truck owners in there too.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

It does state it exceeds the standards of typical aftermarket spray-in bedliners at 1/3 the thickness and it is covered by the 3yr 36,000 mile warranty. Sounds like it might be a pretty sweet option but as others have said only time will tell.
Oh and since its 1/3 the thickness do you think it will only be 1/3 the price, betcha it wont!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
betcha its 3X the price..

if its military spec. i wonder if its made from materials that are far more durable then typical aftermarket spray on liners...

u guys ever see the TV show "mythbusters" were they tested the legend that a spray in bedliner can hold a vehicle together in the event of a bomb underneath the truck..

sure enuf it actualy works... they tested 2 identical trucks 1 with spray in liner 1 without.. the one without blew into peices.. the one with basicly absorbed the impact.. crazy...i didnt beleive it till i saw it...

Old 12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Ford lists the Tough Bed at $450.00 as an option. Last Line-X I priced was $449.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM
taken
Senior User
The initial run resulted in many failures and delayed the shipment of a bunch of trucks. Not ready for prime time.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
That's true, Ford was having a lot of problems with 'Tough Bed' adhering to the painted bed surface. Supposed to be taken care of.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know with my 09 job one truck it was cancelled for Cdn bound trucks.....I ended up getting LineX because of the cancellation.

Quick Reply: Tough Bed