1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR cooler problem 04 F350 6.0 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 PM
horsebiz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool EGR cooler problem 04 F350 6.0 Diesel

Purchased this truck about 6 weeks ago. Turbo went, replaced that, truck ran great. The next day, drove it to town, and my heater quit working, heard a girgling, and stopped, and shut off the truck, Looked under the hood, and oil spilling out of the Antifreeze overflow jug. Called Ford house that worked on it and they said it was the EGR Cooler. Truck never got hot, no compression problems, just oil everywhere. Took it to a different Dealer, as they were closer, told them, I had two diesel techs tell me it was the EGR cooler, please check it out and fix it. When I got back to town, they had my whole engine tore apart, and told me it was 20,000 to fix the truck???? Now, my truck is in a million pieces, and I NEVER authorized that. HELP?? Any suggestions? The other ford house said that was crazy. As a matter of fact, the EGR cooler is the only thing they have NOT taken off the motor. Ford Customer care said they won't get involved, as Dealerships are independatenly owned? Unreal.. This is my first ford, I have been driving Chevy Duramax, and they run like a hoss. Please any advice?

Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 AM
BobsF350
Elder User
what are they telling you that makes them think you need a motor replacement?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM
horsebiz
New User
Originally Posted by BobsF350
what are they telling you that makes them think you need a motor replacement?
They said there was some scorring in the cylinders. That is why the EGR cooler was going bad. This is the 2nd cooler in this truck. The other dealers that I talked with said that was not the case, and that a truck with almost 100000 miles it is not unusual to see some scoaring. My truck never got got, and never used oil. Always started easy, and ran like a top. Thanks, Diane

Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
highland61
Senior User
The way I understand it, whether by phone, email, fax or in person...you have to authorize the repairs. If you hinted for them to fix the truck, they may have understood that to be authorization and ran with it.

Was there not an estimate provided before they dismantled the engine?

Was there a compression test?

I take it the warranty has expired?

If you did not authorize the repairs (the SM may fight you on this); then trade it in on the spot. I just went thru an issue with my truck and traded it in without authorizing repairs and received a reasonable trade in value. Actually, it was a little higher than what was offered by other dealers when the truck was running.
I haven't slept better.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM
horsebiz
New User
They were authorized to check out the EGR cooler. Not the whole motor. They said it would run 1400 for the labor, tow bill etc. We went there today, and looked at the cylinders, and they are fine. They still have the new weaved pattern, look great? Either way, I didn't take it in there for a new motor, just an EGR cooler, of which is still onthe motor? They havent' even taken it off, or tested it? I guess I am going to go to a lawyer Mon, see what I can get done. My truck is in a million pieces, and it is going to cost about 5000 to just put it back together. I think they thought they saw me coming. Woman with a diesel truck, doesn't know the difference. The truck is just about at 100000 miles. I really hate to trade it in, if I have to take a bath, actually I bought a older duramax to run around with right now, I have been crippled not having a truck. I have two ranches, and run a horse businesss Hard without a truck. Thanks, Diane

Originally Posted by highland61
The way I understand it, whether by phone, email, fax or in person...you have to authorize the repairs. If you hinted for them to fix the truck, they may have understood that to be authorization and ran with it.

Was there not an estimate provided before they dismantled the engine?

Was there a compression test?

I take it the warranty has expired?

If you did not authorize the repairs (the SM may fight you on this); then trade it in on the spot. I just went thru an issue with my truck and traded it in without authorizing repairs and received a reasonable trade in value. Actually, it was a little higher than what was offered by other dealers when the truck was running.
I haven't slept better.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
89stinger
Senior User
The dealer that I use here in AZ changed my EGR cooler and turbo under warranty and the total cost was just a bit over $5000. Yeah..... I would say a lawyer needs to get involved!