1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

95 350cc leakin' green but good

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 AM
gfwelsh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 95 350cc leakin' green but good

runnin' like a champ, all high up and stuff on the way home from the office. park in the driveway and smell it. the green hot stuff you hope ain't yours in when you catch it wafting around when in traffic. and it ain't drippin', it's runnin'. popped hood, it's schplattered all over. grab the flashlight and crawl under for a gander, and cain't tell where it's comin' from but it's in front lower than I can see from the top but could be from anywhere. i have three of these rigs (a '96 250 extended xlt 4X4 and a '95 XLT std cab 4X2, all longboxes) and know to fear anything other than a trickle from a water pump goin' south. truck didn't run hot, but i'm sure it's pure luck I made to the house. gonna start tearin' it apart tomorrow if I can improvise on the tools. any ideas on what i might find? i'm prayin' split hose, lose hose, something obvious.

'95 XL 350 crewcab, 99k, straight as the day it drove off the lot. killer rig. love 'em all.

thanks for listening.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:41 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I betting on a Water Pump. Just hope that you have the W/P wrenches other wise it's a bitch. Hope I'm wrong but I'm sure you will tell us tomarrow.

Good luck on what ever it is,

Rog

Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 AM
gfwelsh
New User
Wrenches

Do you mean these? They'll be somewhere in town.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PBI&MfrPartNumber=64707 4&CategoryCode=2093

Last edited by gfwelsh; 03-28-2008 at 02:59 AM. Reason: forgot to explain
Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Yes sir, those are the ones but beware, everybody and their dog says that they have the right wrenches for our trucks but most of them don't fit. I bought a high priced set from Napa and ended up taking them back. I finally got the measurments and picked up a nice combo set on flea bay for a fraction of the cost.

You may also have a parts store around you that will load you the wrenches if you buy the pump from them. Unfortunatly....I didn't have that type of curtiscey extended to me.

Good luck and if it is the pump try to find one with a lifetime warranty.

Rog

Old 03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Tim Shultz
Senior User
how bad is it to change the water pump? I've got a slow, though some times not all that slow drip.. can't really see where it's coming from but looks to be the water pump.. after the clutch and slave cylinder I don't really feel like changing anything else right now.. :0( O well..

Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Tim, changing the pump is not a huge job, probably more like a PITA than anything.

If you do take it on and want the easiest method loosen the shroud and slide a large piece of corregated card board between the shroud nad the radiador to protect the rad. from any misshaps when removing the fan.

The large nut holding the fan & clutch to the waterpump requires two (2) wrenches to break it loose. Some guys have said that they have used an air chisel but it didn't work for me. Some Autozones and other parts houses have the wrenches to loan if you buy the pump from them (Around$100.00) w/lifetime warranty.

I did a mode on the shroud to make life easier to put everything back as well as future needs to get to the front of the engine.

TJ Beggs has the mod in his photo Web.

Rog

Old 03-29-2008, 01:54 PM
gfwelsh
New User
kawa, you were right on the wrenches being key here. schucks sold me a wrong one, so the r&r is on hold 'til i find the right one. half the set they sold me works, but the smaller one for the fan clutch nut is too small. also discovered that the tensioner on this rig doesn't have the 1/2" square to stick my breaker bar in. don't know what the deal is there. looks like this one has to be grabbed with a 5/16" allen wrench or star bit or something. cripes. i have all the same truck for uniformity of tool requirements. so much for that theory. forward ho!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by gfwelsh
kawa, you were right on the wrenches being key here. schucks sold me a wrong one, so the r&r is on hold 'til i find the right one. half the set they sold me works, but the smaller one for the fan clutch nut is too small. also discovered that the tensioner on this rig doesn't have the 1/2" square to stick my breaker bar in. don't know what the deal is there. looks like this one has to be grabbed with a 5/16" allen wrench or star bit or something. cripes. i have all the same truck for uniformity of tool requirements. so much for that theory. forward ho!
If your talking about pulling back the tentioner to remove the belt it should be a 15mm socket.

good luck on the replacement

Old 03-29-2008, 02:10 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Mine uses a socket on the tension idler, 5/16 allen wrench seens very, very light for moving the tensioner. Check and see if you are on the right idler.

If you were closer I would lend you mine. Other places for the wrench is a tool rental yard. The clutch nut size is: 1 7/8" or 47MM The wrench needs to be "Thin"
Good luck,
Rog

Old 03-29-2008, 03:49 PM
gfwelsh
New User
Waljon, the 15mm did the trick. Pulled the gooseneck to find a very rough looking thermostat gasket. Thinking maybe this could be the source of the urine-stream-like leak when the engine's running. Going to attempt that as the fix before yanking the pump. Will spring for the 1 7/8" thin wrench if i can find it, as I'll need it eventually.

Will of course replace thermostat and upper hose. Any recommendations on thermostat? Temp? Goop for gooseneck screws?

More later.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:12 PM
kawa
Postmaster
GF: Strongly suggest that you replace that goose neck/stat housing as they are not built very strong and just a little warpage and they do what they want to and when they want to.

They are not expensive and I think that Napa and others carry them.
Hope that is your leak.

Rog

Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 AM
gfwelsh
New User
ouch. just got back from schucks, returned the scrawny wrench set and picked up a tstat for TWENTY BUCKS... argh. i swear those things cost 3 bucks 15 years ago. didn't look to see your advice before heading out, so didn't pick up a new tube. oughta be able to pick one of those up for a measly TEN TSTATS. argh.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:28 PM
kawa
Postmaster
What stat did you get? It is my understanding that not all after market states work in our water pumps. Make sure that the overall length is the same plus, as I also have been told if you upgraded to the 203* you really need to be careful. Check them out side by side.

Rog

Old 03-30-2008, 04:39 PM
gfwelsh
New User
this stat is the same dimensions. it's 205°. it ain't got the little hole with the check valve in it. i'm thinkin' i'll run it back and go to ford dealership tomorrow. argh.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
kawa
Postmaster
GF:
Go to : www.dieselsite.com

This is a great place to get the right 203* Thermostate. Click on Dieselsite products and scroll down a ways and click on the thermostate. Bob explanes the pit falls and advantages of the right Thermostate.

You can also call him at: (888) 414-3457 Bob is extremly helpfull and you can get the Stat housing from him as well. One other thing, with his 203* stat you get a new gasket. Ford charges you extra 507 bucks or some rediculess price like that.

Bob is one of our sponsors as well.

Rog.

Quick Reply: 95 350cc leakin' green but good