1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Ok we got a gremlin here somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
desygityaso
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok we got a gremlin here somewhere

Ok I'm on the 45th mile on the new rebuild (97 f350) and everything was fine till the 35th mile. It started missing as if it were running out of gas. It started bucking and loosing rpms and then it killed. I opened the fuel filter bowl and it was full. I shut it and it recranked running ok. I drove it home and it ran ok. I'm going to siphon the old diesel( 6 monthsold) out tomorrow and try fresh fuel. It threw a CEL but it reset itself with no codes stored. I will try fresh fuel and new filter tomorrow. As of right now it is running at under 1800 rpm but if i try to push it further it acts as if its running out of gas and won't accelerate over 1800 rpms. The idle started fluctuating to at the same time. This sounds like bad fuel huh guys? Thanks, DESY

Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Desy, check the FPR screen. I bet you a dollar it's plugged. After I did my stage 2's I had a miss, it was plugged. Cleaned it, and the miss went away for the most part. I also think I have an injector problem. Since I built them, I could have missed something. But I had a huge miss like running out of fuel before I cleaned the screen. Check it out. I would say new motor, lots of stuff floating around.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree with RubberDuck. We're assuming the FPR pressure is good. If the FPR screen is plugged, is it possible the injectors have debris in them?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 PM
desygityaso
Senior User
Thanks Cody, moose, I will get right on as it is still doing it after I siphoned all the fuel out today and put in a new fuel filter and fresh diesel. It actually starts to rev-up a little at idle then it killed (3 times to day). It ran about 10 miles before it acted up again. I will clean this screen fella right now. Thanks, Desy.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Check the fuel pressure.
Could be a failing 2nd stage of the pump.

Bill

Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Did you clean it?????

Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
desygityaso
Senior User
Sorry cody, I had a large tree today and I tried to last night but I didn't know how to do it. But I feel you are right, it is clogged.lol I will do it tomorrow sunday. thanks i will post some picts. Desy

Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It could be....
wires to the injectors
CPS
Loose wires on some sensor

Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Desy, take the fuel bowl lid off, filter out. on the drivers side there is a hole about an inch down from the threads. Look in there with a flashlight and mirror. You should see shiney screen. Anything else, not good. take q-tip sticks (no cotton) and gently brush the crud off. Done. Put the filter and lid back on, test drive.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Cody (RubberDuck) is right (as usual) and it is that simple. I was doing the FPR Shim and unbolted the FPR to clean the screen. You don't need to scrub hard, just enough pressure to remove the crud is all that's needed.

If your fuel pressure is low (or you haven't checked it) search for "FPR Shim" and you might as well do another search for "6637" and get that stock airbox outta there, too.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:15 PM
desygityaso
Senior User
I cleaned it today and it was diiirty! It had a carpet looking layer of shwit on it. I drove it 16 miles today and so far so good. I feel alot more confident about it not stranding me again. Thanks again Cody and everyone for your help.

By the way, should I do the 10k mod and fpr shim now or wait to (break-in) the engine a couple of hundred miles first?
Thanks Desy

Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Now is as good a time as any. You can check your fuel pressure right on the side of the regulator with a tire psi gauge. There is a little schrader valve (tire air valve) on the side there. It will spit a little fuel so be ready. But that's the easiest way. Just wanted to tell you that incase you didn't know. Oh wait, maybe I'd wait on the 10k. But the shim, I'd do whenever you are ready. That won't hurt, only help unless you go past 75 or 80 psi. Then it will over work the fuel pump.