1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

turbo replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 PM
surfpunk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo replacement

my turbo is taking a **** on me (fins have enough slop to hit the inside of the housing and leaks oil everywhere) and was wondering what my best bet is. i found some on ebay from, i think his name is ron, and after doing some searching he seems to have a good rep on here. is that probably the best place to get a new turbo? also, should i go with a 1.10 A/R compressor and 1.15 A/R turbine? or with the 1.00 A/R turbine (im guessing the compressor will still be 1.10?). sorry if thats a stupid question, but i really dont have enough time to do a ton of research on this, i kind of need a turbo before the peice of **** decides to grenade into my motor.

i will probably replace the stock downpipe when i replace the turbo. I dont want to do any other mods though. i basically want my truck as fuel economical and reliable as possible. im not too worried about performance if it will effect fuel economy or reliability (of course if it wont hurt either of those, then i wouldnt mind having more performance!). anyways, sorry for the stupid question, i just need a turbo asap and want to make sure i order the right one.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
ftowelding
Senior User
I was just looking at dieselsite.com and saw they had all sorts of options including remans. I can't tell you what the best option would be, but I am sure that tjbeggs or one of the other guru's will chime in and help get your dilemna figured out.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Ron's turbo is very highly thought of. Has good products, reputation and will be very helpful.

Rog

Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
If you are looking for a cheap way out ron can sell you a rebiuld kit. He also sells oversize bearings to that should remove any play that is causing the wheels to hit the housing.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:57 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't go wrong with a turbo from Ron. My current turbo came from him. Very knowledgeable, helpful and good product. Does your turbo have too much shaft play moving in and out of the compressor housing or up and down? If its in and out then your thrust bearing could have started going bad and taken out the compressore housing base plate. Thats what happened to mine. It was cheaper to get a rebuilt turbo from Ron than it was to repair mine.

As for the housing options yes the Compressor housing will stay 1.10 but the 1.0 exhaust housing would be a nice addition to even a stock truck. If you have the cash go ahead and do the 1.0 housing. You will be happy with it.